New Pics of the M.A.N.T.I.S.

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by The Mantis, Apr 6, 2006.

1. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

NEW pics of the MANTIS corner....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Something lurks in the shadows....

[​IMG]

But what could it be?

[​IMG]

It is The M.A.N.T.I.S. After five years of hunting I have the complete outfit (2 actually). Still have to add some pieces on, boots etc....also, need to shave 4 inches off this mannequin....decorate display with lots of making of info and viola....but here is an in progress sneak peek.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Identity/Class: Human technology user.

Affiliations: Lt. Leora Maxwell, John Stonebrake, Hawkins Technology Inc., Taylor Savidge

Enemies: The Men in Black, City Eye

Known Relatives: None

Aliases: None

Base of Operations: Port Columbia, Ca, near Los Angeles

First Appearance: M.A.N.T.I.S. #1 "Pilot" (Fox, 24th January 1994)

Powers/Abilities: The M.A.N.T.I.S. suit not only allowed Miles to walk again, but also granted superhuman strength, speed and agility. The Chrysalis is not only a top of the line car, bit can also fly like a helicopter.

History: Dr.Miles Hawkins was a genius scientist who had founded his own company, Hawkins Technology, Inc, and was going from strength to strength. That was, until a bullet from the gun of a corrupt cop in the pay of another industrialist left him paralysed from the waist down. Left in a wheelchair, he worked with his friend John Stonebrake on developing the Mechanically Augmented Neuro Transmitter System (M.A.N.T.I.S.), an exoskeleton designed to let him walk again, by using headgear with transmitters which allowed the brain to send signals which bypassed the spine. However the first tests proved it could do more than that: it was so powerful that it made the wearer virtually superhuman. Taking a high-tech car, the Chrysalis, which he had originally designed as a prototype for the police, Miles Hawkin decided to become a vigilante, ensuring justice for those otherwise denied it. He worked from an underground base beneath his coastal house near Port Columbia, assisted by John and by Taylor Savidge, a bike courier who worked as his legman. Initially pursued by the police, his identity was discovered by Lieutenant Leora Maxwell, the cop in charge of the investigation. Instead of exposing him, she became his ally, working with him to bring criminals to justice.

M.A.N.T.I.S. had several adventures, including a trip to the future, but eventually he was killed by an invisible Tyrannosaurus Rex.

Comments: Played by Carl Lumbly. The show aired for one season of 24 episodes, plus a pilot episode. The show was originally titled Mantis, but the legal team at Fox discovered there was a Marvel comics character by that name, and insisted the show change to M.A.N.T.I.S.

[​IMG]

2. BAlinger15

BAlinger15 Community Founder

Dave is a MANTIS god...

-Brandon

3. THEWRAPOFCONS

THEWRAPOFCONS Well-Known Member

You forgot to mention he is the voice of The Martian Manhunter on JLU. :)

4. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Crap, I just realized I have some leg stuff on backwards...this thing is like a jigsaw puzzle.

5. Gojira61

Gojira61 Sr Member

That's very cool.

I liked the show but I thought the end was a waste.

Jim

6. Riskbreaker

Riskbreaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That actually does look really cool, despite the fact that I have no idea who or what the hell a M.A.N.T.I.S. is.

7. doody

doody Sr Member

Really cool..

8. Hangar18Studios

Hangar18Studios Well-Known Member

David,
    Awesome stuff, but......
    ......................that last photo...., his forearm protruding from the far side of his body................
    ................................looks rather...
    PHALLIC

:lol
    Scott

9. aliensarchive

aliensarchive Well-Known Member

Looks very cool. Glad you were able to pick that up.

10. TomSpinaDesigns

TomSpinaDesigns Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Once again Dave lives up to his slogan.

Prop and Costume Archivist to Unwanted Superheroes....

Another cool piece, Dave. I don't think Mantis stuff could find a better home. Glad I got to see these last week. Congrats....

Tom

11. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Are you serious about the T Rex? :lol

12. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

MANTIS...........killed by an invisible T REX in the future? And one wonders why....with writing like that.......its still not on TV today. :cry

:love

Nice costume though. Looks cool.

Steve

13. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

i dont ever remember seeing the end episode? are you serious?

14. DavidS

DavidS Sr Member

Ok im gulible... but her IMDB.com :::

The M.A.N.T.I.S. writers offices on the Universal lot were demolished during the production of the series in order to make space for the "Jurassic Park" ride.

15. Propazoid

Propazoid Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got it bro, I told you IT HAD TO BE YOURS..

It looks great on a mannequin, just let me come by & fix those "at attention" arms for you. :p

-Zoid

16. thuth

thuth Well-Known Member

Cool.

17. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Come fix dem arms....don't want Scott to go all Brokeback on my mannequin~

18. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

The last two episodes were unaired but recently discovered by a videophile. I have not seen them myself yet (they are being sent to me) but I hear the last one was phenomenal. The show was cheezy at times but for 1994 not too bad. And written by ba pre-spidey Sam Raami no less.

19. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

kick * as allways mantis have allways been a fan of the show glad someone has finally made a replica of a unsung hero, ive seen the last ep the invisible T-rex one tis a very sad ending to the series indeed from start to finish, man i wish someone would do some replica kits of the head gear i would love to have one lol, ill have to get off my lazy * and try and sculpt one.

i have three vhs tapes of the series lol i think i missed an ep or two ill have to see lol, bloody good series, also incase anyone is wondering the actor who plays the mantis also plays a fav alias character Marcus Dixon

man i miss this show :(

20. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

That is actually the screen used suit and headgear you see pictured....also have the pilot episode headgear as well:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Good granney, how could he see with those lights around his eyes?

:)

22. SPDOmegaRanger

they where used mainly to hypnotise an enemy sort of like what a mantis does to its prey(i think), hey mantis home come its not fully closed together there shouldnt be a gap in the middle lol.

man id love to do both or at least try and sculpt both lol there isnt much reference tho like a good front,back,left side,right side shot of both head gears

23. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

If you ever want to try it I can take some detailed shots.

24. Atarian

Atarian Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Everything looks really great.
    Any chance you could ever offer a run of replica helmets? :)

25. SPDOmegaRanger

heck any reference is welcome if i cant do at least some one can with better reference lol, sorry about my last post was tired lol, if you could please take some shots :)

26. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

I'll take some better pics this weekend.

27. Chewie15

Chewie15 Sr Member

Very cool Dave.

H

28. streetjudge79

streetjudge79 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dave, did you get my email about the screen used Mantis car a mutual friend of ours has for sale?

29. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

I didn't get your email but several other folks and the seller himself have given me the heads up....VERY COOL.

30. Rocketbobs

Rocketbobs Well-Known Member

Dave -Thanks for sharing. Just like the old days. I am glad to see you got that stuff. Go Mantis.

31. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Thanks....the hunt was a good one and the game was caught....as you know, you being one of the great hunters out there, it is very gratifying.

32. adamata

adamata Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

David,

how do you find this stuff? Its amazing.

NICE.

33. brin

brin Well-Known Member

Awesome. I know you've been on the hunt for a loooong time.
    How's it feel to sit back and admire that at night?
    -Brin

34. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

It's a rewarding/great feeling....the cool factor (to me) screams out. It is sooo escoterical and unusual in the land of Superheroes and I like that aspect. but the design, lines and forward motion of the suit just looks great in real life.

35. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

Check out 1st thread for new pics.....

36. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

i wasn´t a big fan of the M.A.N.T.I.S. series while they were on air, but i was impressed by the exoskelett and the sci-fi touch they had for a limited budget series back then.

but this suit is simply breathtaking, man. :confused

i found pictures of your collection in some other thread, very impressiv... all of them.
    real fans like you should get the screenused suits. :thumbsup

37. SPDOmegaRanger

Wo how did you manage to get two head sets ? of the non proto type version, either way kick * love the new added pics

38. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

I have two suits, two series head sets, and two pilot episode headsets. One set was exchanged through one of the prop artists that worked on the series, Greg Nicortero who wne ton to receive an academy award for Narnia...the other set was through an auction.

39. agliarept

agliarept Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

these are such awesome props, i never thought people liked this show, hence why it was cancelled. But i always loved the suit and the story of the character. I really liked the actor who played his best friend on the show too lol. great stuff!!!

40. spectre_general

spectre_general Member

Wow, this is a huge blast from the past and a beautiful, beautifulcollection.

I loved M.A.N.T.I.S. back in the day. Though I thankfully never saw the end... Invisible T-Rex huh? If anyone asks, you should say that's part of your display as well. See? Right there on the left.

Now if only someone had the Superforce armour...

41. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

thanks....labor of love!!!

42. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

You're not fooling anyone with those dark shots. I used my night vision to see them. :lol

[​IMG]

FB

43. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

LOL! Love the post!

44. ave4uevoli

ave4uevoli Sr Member

WOW - awesome collection. :thumbsup

It's just.. .so complete - Rare to see ALL the hero suits of something in one place for any movie/tv series.

I remember watching MANTIS when I was a kid - I used to think "he looks nothing like a mantis! He needs pincers!" :)

Still a pretty cool show though.

45. Trekkie313

Trekkie313 Active Member

Seriously they killed him off with a T-Rex? Is there anyway to see the series online?

46. TomGLFan

TomGLFan Well-Known Member

Fantastic!!! I used to love M.A.N.T.I.S. and the suit(s) appear to have found a super home!

47. The Mantis

The Mantis Sr Member

They actually came out with the boxed set of DVDs of the entire series...yes, complete with the episode where he dies...killed by an invisible T-REX....sigh

48. fettpride

fettpride Well-Known Member

Holy cow, I'd nearly forgotten about that show ! I liked it :thumbsup

You did a fantastic job of bringing this back to life :cheers

49. Trekkie313

Trekkie313 Active Member

To quote the Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons: "Lamest Death Ever!
    " :lol

50. BedlamX

BedlamX New Member

I always loved that show (and just about ant super hero type show) as a kid. Nice to see such a great costume. Brings back all sorts of memories.