New model for OWK three holes saber...

I also noticed that on this stunt, the pommel cubed look to be chromed resin rather than aluminum parts. A lot of weird and cool variations to be sure!
Did not notice that initially, but definitely true. They are all wonky

Also noticed that the stunt version from those the ROTS dueling footage doesn’t have pommel cubes at all, which makes me wonder if his hand are hiding other changes (like the other dueling hilts)?

What are the major differences between the salt and pepper shaker and the hero?

do we think the salt and pepper mods were done to show the audience obiwan tweaked the saber between ep1 and 2?

do we think the salt and pepper mods were done to show the audience obiwan tweaked the saber between ep1 and 2?
I’m wondering when this saber first appears, since all the pictures I’ve seen of it have been from ROTS…

I’m wondering when this saber first appears, since all the pictures I’ve seen of it have been from ROTS…
it does "appear" in Ep. 3 first. At least, it was supposed to, and yea I think this was the idea. His updated saber, which he loses, and builds the infamous skeletal design next. Am I right?

it does "appear" in Ep. 3 first. At least, it was supposed to, and yea I think this was the idea. His updated saber, which he loses, and builds the infamous skeletal design next. Am I right?
That's what I've always understood. Maybe originally he was supposed to get his ANH saber from Grievous, "liberating" one of the pieces from his collection.

As to when this actual prop was originally constructed. It's hard to tell. It might have been built for AOTC and then modified with the 3 hole emitter for ROTS, or it might have been a new construction for ROTS.

Actually I remember seeing the salt and pepper saber in rots. I believe it was when OWK was lying on the ground knocked out during the Dooku duel. I’ll have to take a closer look at the 4K images. But I do remember seeing it briefly in the finished movie, although the dooku duel might not be the correct scene.

Actually I remember seeing the salt and pepper saber in rots. I believe it was when OWK was lying on the ground knocked out during the Dooku duel. I’ll have to take a closer look at the 4K images. But I do remember seeing it briefly in the finished movie, although the dooku duel might not be the correct scene.
I'd love to see this! If anyone can find the saber in the film. Please let me know

That's what I've always understood. Maybe originally he was supposed to get his ANH saber from Grievous, "liberating" one of the pieces from his collection.

As to when this actual prop was originally constructed. It's hard to tell. It might have been built for AOTC and then modified with the 3 hole emitter for ROTS, or it might have been a new construction for ROTS.

The impression I’ve always had is that the salt shaker prop was designed as a replacement for the saber lost in AOTC. Then, during the course of ROTS, Obi-Wan would lose the salt shaker and build or acquire the familiar thin-neck ROTS/ANH-style saber.

There’s a moment in this ROTS webdoc—

—beginning at 5:27 where Lucas is being shown the hero saber props built for the film. He indicates the Anakin and Vader sabers, then (in a notable camera cut) says, “So all I have to do is get rid of this one, somehow”.

HOWEVER, the salt shaker and the Obi ROTS sabers are also sitting on the table, and Lucas indicates the Obi ROTS hero and says, “So this is the one that Alec Guinness had, basically”. I strongly believe that Lucas was actually referring to the salt shaker when talking about getting rid of “this one”, because Obi-Wan obviously needed to have his ANH-style saber by the end of the film. But, due to clever editing, it appears that Lucas is talking about getting rid of Anakin’s saber during his transition to Vader, which then leads to the clip from ANH with Kenobi giving the saber to Luke.

I suspect that the salt shaker was only used for stunt practice and early costume and camera tests (such as those shots of McGregor and Christensen in Padme’s apartment set, despite no scripted scene featuring both of them at that location in the film, akin to Christensen being photographed on the Tantive IV set). I think that Lucas must have decided to ditch the prop entirely before filming began, and to simply have Obi-Wan using his ANH-style saber from the very start of the film.

Last edited:
So I was right about the stunt version. It is based on the Salt Shaker hero, given the shape of the emitter, but in the style of the other ROTS dueling sabers it is almost devoid of detail. Just the smoothed pommel, the beveled emitter, and what appears to be just a painted thin neck/choke point:

Screenshot 2021-09-13 222157.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-13 221644.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-13 221936 (2).jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-13 222057.jpg

Last edited:
The impression I’ve always had is that the salt shaker prop was designed as a replacement for the saber lost in AOTC. Then, during the course of ROTS, Obi-Wan would lose the salt shaker and build or acquire the familiar thin-neck ROTS/ANH-style saber.

There’s a moment in this ROTS webdoc—

—beginning at 5:27 where Lucas is being shown the hero saber props built for the film. He indicates the Anakin and Vader sabers, then (in a notable camera cut) says, “So all I have to do is get rid of this one, somehow”.

HOWEVER, the salt shaker and the Obi ROTS sabers are also sitting on the table, and Lucas indicates the Obi ROTS hero and says, “So this is the one that Alec Guinness had, basically”. I strongly believe that Lucas was actually referring to the salt shaker when talking about getting rid of “this one”, because Obi-Wan obviously needed to have his ANH-style saber by the end of the film. But, due to clever editing, it appears that Lucas is talking about getting rid of Anakin’s saber during his transition to Vader, which then leads to the clip from ANH with Kenobi giving the saber to Luke.

I suspect that the salt shaker was only used for stunt practice and early costume and camera tests (such as those shots of McGregor and Christensen in Padme’s apartment set, despite no scripted scene featuring both of them at that location in the film, akin to Christensen being photographed on the Tantive IV set). I think that Lucas must have decided to ditch the prop entirely before filming began, and to simply have Obi-Wan using his ANH-style saber from the very start of the film.
I completely agree with your theory there

Meh, the Ep1 is where it's at, kinda glad they didn't use this. Some say his Episode II saber was meant to be the same as his Episode I saber and others say that he just built a new one that was nearly identical. Rebuilding the same saber again after losing it in Episode II is just too much for me and I am glad they ditched it.

That being said, great model as always!

Meh, the Ep1 is where it's at, kinda glad they didn't use this. Some say his Episode II saber was meant to be the same as his Episode I saber and others say that he just built a new one that was nearly identical. Rebuilding the same saber again after losing it in Episode II is just too much for me and I am glad they ditched it.

That being said, great model as always!

I do think that what we got is best, with the ANH-style saber being in ROTS from the start. That said, the pepper shaker has a certain charm, and perhaps would have worked better as the AOTC hero, with the implication that Kenobi rebuilt his saber after TPM, but with some slight tweaks. Having the prop be virtually identical in the second film has led to all of that “Did he build an identical one, or did he somehow retrieve his original?” business.

Personally, I vote for “he built a duplicate to replace the original”. Because we all know that lightsabers can’t be magically retrieved from bottomless pits and simply show back up without explanation. Especially years or even decades later. That would be just silly. And absolutely non-canon.

*koff*

Not sure if it's worth much but Wookieepedia uses the Three Holes prop as the representation of Obi-Wan's Second Lightsaber in AOTC but only for the Canon article. The photo is also used in the Databank article for all three of Obi-Wan's hilts. So it would seem the Story Group/Lucasfilm have decided to make the Three Holes the "official" canon Attack of the Clones Hilt, could be evidence it was created for Attack of the Clones. Perhaps even served as the hero...

Not sure if it's worth much but Wookieepedia uses the Three Holes prop as the representation of Obi-Wan's Second Lightsaber in AOTC but only for the Canon article. The photo is also used in the Databank article for all three of Obi-Wan's hilts. So it would seem the Story Group/Lucasfilm have decided to make the Three Holes the "official" canon Attack of the Clones Hilt, could be evidence it was created for Attack of the Clones. Perhaps even served as the hero...

Another sign of grotesque incompetence, no doubt. After all, I would consider nothing that the Story Group comes up with to be canonical. They probably don’t even realize it’s an unused variant prop.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back