New member/First timer Ironman Mark VII

CowToes

I have been looking around here for a while and have decided to take the plunge on my first build. I plan on doing an IronMan Mark VII using pep/fiberglass/bondo. I am project oriented and always need something to be working on. While I am new to costume building and pep construction I am not new to detail oriented hard work projects.

I am also into firearms and if you are interested in the level of work I do here is my most recent project that I completed, it is a .45 acp 1911. http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=105789.

I plan on bringing that same level of research, precision, and hard work to this project as well. I have some questions though, as I have been watching and reading about IronMan suit builds on here for about 2 years.

1. There are a TON if different Pep file sets out there. Is there a definitive set that people are gravitating toward that is detailed and easier to work with? I plan on printing on a heavier weight paper, but not card stock or anything, and using a household inkjet printer.

2. When it come to Bondo. There are many types of it. They have automotive, fiberglass, household, and marine, body filler, putty, and on and on. What exactly are you using for this portion?

3. I read one thread where someone used a spray stiffener on the paper before fiber-glassing the inside, but I can't find it now. I may not need this depending on the weight of the paper I print on but I'm not sure yet. Is this a recommended step? What stiffener do you recommend?

I eventually plan on doing a John Critchon too, but that will be secondary because while I can sand and paint and such, my sewing skills are abysmal.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back