New Luke ROTJ V3 project

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, almost once a week, I get an e-mail asking if I'm going to do another v2 run. "Not right now," is what I reply. This is why. I have another Luke rotj/OWK anh project that I've been tinkering away at, and I thought some of you might be interested in checking it out.

Screenshot 2023-02-25 192722.jpg

Screenshot 2023-02-25 193015.jpg

Last edited:
Using measurements taken straight from an original production prop and all the amazing reference of the ANH buck and production castings that has turned up recently, I created a new model--with some help from Halliwax and LOM that duplicates a lot of details that a lot of folk might easily miss, like the sloping booster, the scooping neck, and flared windvaine, as well as the assymetrical pommel cubes that are each uniquely shaped.

Did my production casts influence this? I'm glad that there will be more affordable and more accurate versions readily available because of this, if it did.

Last edited:
Did my production casts influence this? I'm glad that there will be more affordable and more accurate versions readily available because of this, if it did.
Not really. The model was developed quite a bit before I received your casting, working off of measurements that I got from Tom directly years ago as well as from close-ups of the unaltered original production casting and original buck that sold at prop store a couple of years back. Although when I got your castings, it was interesting to see what details were similar and what were different.

The clamp area is so fat on the V3. I have a CNC-ed piece that has the original unaltered diameter and I can only get one thread from a shortened steel block. I assume it’s a little less than this lol

This project is one I've been working on with Halliwax for a while. I've called it the "perfect cast" as I'm trying to capture all the details of the original wood buck, that would have been translated to all subsequent castings, without necessarily limiting the kit to only reproducing the idiosyncrasies of either the v3, the OWK death saber, the warehouse stunt, the ROTJ throne room stunt saber, Guz Lopez's casting, or TM's.

I want these hilts to be adaptable, so you can build any version of the Luke rotj saber or OWK stunt that came out of that mold (with the exception of the v2, which was heavily re-machined itself almost to be unrecognizable as a descendent of these castings.)

I intend to have parts and instructions to make either the V3 production version, the V3 post-production version, the ROTJ throne room stunt saber, the Warehouse stunt used in ESB, and the OWK death saber.

This project is one I've been working on with Halliwax for a while. I've called it the "perfect cast" as I'm trying to capture all the details of the original wood buck, that would have been translated to all subsequent castings, without necessarily limiting the kit to only reproducing the idiosyncrasies of either the v3, the OWK death saber, the warehouse stunt, the ROTJ throne room stunt saber, Guz Lopez's casting, or TM's.

I want these hilts to be adaptable, so you can build any version of the Luke rotj saber or OWK stunt that came out of that mold (with the exception of the v2, which was heavily re-machined itself almost to be unrecognizable as a descendent of these castings.)

I intend to have parts and instructions to make either the V3 production version, the V3 post-production version, the ROTJ throne room stunt saber, the Warehouse stunt used in ESB, and the OWK death saber.

Seriously, have we earned this level of pampering?

Seeking to clarify-
If it satisfies all of these potential iterations then some of the specific nuances may still require manual machining? IE the V3 may require drilling/tapping and some minimal cleanup on a lathe?

Seeking to clarify-
If it satisfies all of these potential iterations then some of the specific nuances may still require manual machining? IE the V3 may require drilling/tapping and some minimal cleanup on a lathe?
No lathe work, but some drilling for the clamps
The plan is to have some swappable parts to make the various versions

Last edited:
Wow. It's amazing. After this hilt the only Luke ROTJ hilt run that you've not done will be an ISYHCANL (unless you've done one long ago that I didn't see). Cave Hero, Yuma, V2, V3 Production/Post-Production, and Throne Room. Also would this version of the V3 also work for the Sail Barge Climb hilt? As far as I'm aware it's just a resin-cast from the buck with a unique clamp card and heavy weathering.

I’d be interested! Though I have been chipping away at one of your early models for mine! Made a steel core for it too :) But this will be a nice accurate version as well! Count me in!

Attachments

• 96784737-6D58-4986-B334-44A6CF1A39D4.jpeg
    96784737-6D58-4986-B334-44A6CF1A39D4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 226

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back