New Luke ROTJ v2 3d model comparison and analysis

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Anakin Starkiller, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months, I've been revising my Luke V2 model and I think I've just about got it bang on.
    I asked Roy last week to work his 3d magic and wip up some comparison photos from me and he has done an amazing job.

I submit them here for your consideration. Comments are welcome and appreciated. Roy noticed that the cone knob look off my a couple mm, and I've corrected this already on the step file.

What do you guys think?

comparison1-1.jpg comparison1-3.jpg comparison1-2.jpg
    comparison2-1.jpg comparison2-3.jpg comparison2-2.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  2. Bradberry00

Bradberry00 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

YES! YES! I will be the first to sign up for the new run.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    enrico likes this.
  3. veektohr

veektohr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I sense a new run on the horizon...

Looks pretty bang-on to me!

enrico likes this.
  4. enrico

enrico Active Member

A masterpiece!
    Waiting for your new run...?

ataru72ita and Bradberry00 like this.
  5. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Do it!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Bradberry00 likes this.
  6. Kylo1

Kylo1 Sr Member

Looking great!!! Will this be a 3 piece or uni-body?

7. el toro

el toro Well-Known Member

It's spot on. Incredible work by you and Roy. I'll dig out aluminum black and satin black primer in anticipation of a potential new run.

roygilsing and Bradberry00 like this.
  8. Anakin Starkiller

It will actually be something like 9 or 10 pieces. I've redesigned the internals so that this can take a blade and house electronics but still have a spinning emitter and remain completely accurate. The emitter will house a radial bearing that will make the emitter itself rotate around a 7/8" blade holder. It will have two caps to allow for a blade or a static display piece. The body and the booster section will separate under the clamp with a twist and pull lock (like a graflex does). I also plan to include the mystery knob with knurling on the top face.

darthcue, Mark P, ms80444 and 13 others like this.
  9. el toro

el toro Well-Known Member

You are a true genius.

10. Anakin Starkiller

V2-cross-section.jpg

But, this is not a sign up thread. This thread is to go over the design and see how people find it matching up to the references we have of the original

cjchiu, thd9791 and Foe Hammer like this.
  11. enrico

enrico Active Member

Indeed!

12. D48thRonin

D48thRonin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gotta say, that's pretty * amazing. :thumbsup

13. Bradberry00

It really looks pretty spot on in the renderings (other than the domed knob that you said has already been corrected). This is one of my favorite lightsaber variants, I am glad it is getting more love.

14. andrew25rs

andrew25rs Well-Known Member

Yes! Yes! Yes! Looks excellent!

15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

[​IMG]

Nice progress Dan and Roy. Eh . . . do we know
    what this circle is or what it's covering up in the
    pommel section? And is that a tiny black arrow
    seemingly to point to the center?

Chaïm

16. Anakin Starkiller

On my model, I have it as a milling recess

darthcue and Sym-Cha like this.
  17. Bradberry00

Was the original pommel on this lightsaber a handwheel/faucet knob like the Obi-Wan lightsaber? or was it a machined/cast piece? the circle could be a casting issue, a part of the machining process, or maybe a logo or??? Though I can see where you see an arrow, I don't think that is what it is. To me is seems like just a scratch or paint or something.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  18. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dan, this looks incredible, especially including the knurling on the mystery chunk. Would this be able to accept a static blade? I've never been a fan of lights and sounds, but if it can replicate the dueling rods... Either way I'd love to see the internal construction

redbutton and halliwax like this.
  19. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No. Totally custom machined. I agree with AS. Looks like some kind of machining mark\artifact.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  20. Foe Hammer

Foe Hammer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Pretty sure scottjua has already confirmed it's a machining mark.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
    scottjua and Sym-Cha like this.
  21. Anakin Starkiller

Yes. That wouldnt be a problem

darthcue and thd9791 like this.
  22. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

ataru72ita likes this.
  23. scottjua

If I might make some suggestions:

1. The emitter face should be flat.... not a beveled surface.

2. If the internal cutaway is accurate, those walls may be too thin. If anyone makes a blade insert, those thin spots make not last if that scale is correct.

ataru72ita, canister and Pixelpiper like this.
  24. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great god on all that is holy... starkiller your my hero!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pixelpiper and Jediscum like this.
  25. ThatSpoiler

ThatSpoiler New Member

Does anyone know what that black shape just under the emitter is? It looks like a thin sheet of metal wrapped around the neck. Or is it just a damaged part of the neck?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

26. thd9791

that there is gaffer tape :)

I also would like to see a flat emitter surface, I always thought it was dented from fencing. Since the radius beneath the emitter lip is the same width as the non-dented part of the emitter.

27. Anakin Starkiller

It's gaffers tape.

Scott, can you tell me what your source for the emitter flatness is?

28. scottjua

holding the original prop in my hands.

it's certainly all bent up now... but as first made it was flat.

biggs79, Aison, jhazard and 2 others like this.
  29. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The thin walls in certain areas have been mentioned and are being reviewed. I agree and would keep a 1.5 - 2.0mm minimum.

darthcue likes this.
  30. Anakin Starkiller

Thanks. Is there any other info that you can share about the original from observing it? If you'd like to discuss privately, pm me.

31. BACABreath

BACABreath Jr Member

Nice Job Anakin... when does the run start? LOL! :lol

32. kevin926

kevin926 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Dang it! Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!

Should I just put your name on my "pay to the order of "on my payroll checks:facepalm

Looks like I am going to have to buy in, AGAIN!,,,,

Atleast I had the practice from your unibody build.

Actually, this sounds like it is going to be the most accurate V2 period. Can't pass this up. Keep us posted.

Just do us a favor and not begin collecting funds until after the new year. Daddys broke for Christmas

Pixelpiper likes this.
  33. kevin926

34. Anakin Starkiller

35. kevin926

Hope roy is gearing up for completion kits for this run.:D

36. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

A pre-emptive comment for the eventual run: Interested, interested, interested, interested, INTERESTED!!! ;)

enrico and halliwax like this.
  37. kevin926

You don't sound too convincing :lol

38. PoopaPapaPalps

Well, to be quite frank, I am a bit bummed that it's going to be multi-piece construction for FX reasons. I'm not interested in FX pieces but I am very pleased with how accurate the new model looks. I was really hoping for something much closer to the original prop: it being a 4 piece construction (so far as we know). I mean, if we're going to have multiple pieces, I'd be much more keen on an almost solid emitter with a separate nipple piece, a single body construction down to the pommel, and a separate pommel piece. I don't think it's all that much crazier.

Considering the model presented, the thinness is being addressed, so I don't have much more to add beyond that. If it's possible, I'd like to see a 360 view of the Mystery Chunk that this model has. I'm 90% positive it's a leather craft stamp I have in mind and wonder if the shapes and scale line up.

39. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Sign me up! :thumbsup..... when you can :lol
    With this new one being able to hold a blade, I might make this one the ANH Obi-Wan stunt.

Drew Baker likes this.
  40. kevin926

Good points. I'm wondering if he can offer the FX version, but also offer the none FX with less pieces.

41. Anakin Starkiller

Believe me, I wouldn't have sacrificed accuracy for fx. But, when I took a stab at having it both ways, I came up with a solution that allowed for both.

42. Anakin Starkiller

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what would be the benefit of this to you if it looks the same either way?

Here is a close up of the mystery chunk. The stem will be threaded, although it is not present in the image
    mystery chunk.jpg

43. Anakin Starkiller

Yes, it can hold a blade. You could build it with a 7/8 fx blade. Or, if you wanted to build it with a rotating metal rod like the original ANH stunt saber, you could go that route as well.

russellsch and Jediscum like this.
  44. kevin926

None overall as far as looks. Remember, I already have and finished your unibody design. I guess it would use be for having it closer to the original. But I also understand only a few really know what the original actually has ,as far as pieces are concerned.

Also, I didn't and won't take it the wrong way. I didn't mean to offend you if I did

45. PoopaPapaPalps

I can only answer for myself but it would be function. A function that isn't just a surface detail that simulated that of the original but the function of the piece would be a near-perfect facsimile of the actual thing based on the original construcrtion. For me, that is a huge draw. Even though it's illusory, it would be like I was handling the real thing, itself. It's the very reason why I value and was drawn to your previous V2 run over Solo's Hold V2. They're both two great things but serve two different purposes.

It might be petty just to say, "Oh, but this one is built just like the actual, original prop," over "It's made to look and resemble the function of the original," but for someone who isn't going to be fulfilling the FX end of the prop, it'll feel incomplete to me. Like having an RC car but it's missing all its internals. Or, more accurately pertaining to the RPF, Roman's functioning Graflex or TGS' Graflex. I doubt that anyone will use Roman's functioning Graflex on a working 4x5 but the fact that it can is all the sweeter.

Don't get me wrong, you've done a man's job with this and your previous contributions (more than I could), and I'm sure as Shineola going to jump on the run of this.

46. Anakin Starkiller

Right, but this design will still allow for the spinning emitter. It can be set up to keep the spinning emitter function, even with the fx installed.
    And actually, if you wanted to assemble it just like my old design, forgoing fx all together, you could do that too.

canister likes this.
  47. halliwax

Just remember who told u about that leather stamp ;)

darthcue and PoopaPapaPalps like this.
  48. thd9791

Here's a question - would it spin from the break in the neck like both surviving sabers? That side-cutaway made me think the big section of the emitter spun and the last step/neck stayed put.

That idea might just be a difference of feel of the hobby. I enjoy the heft/internal construction too, even though you can't see it on the outside, which I can see as being a bit irrational. Most replicas made do not take into account original engineering, as long as the outside is identical, it serves a purpose.

Anyway, the mystery chunk, I'm going by memory, but did it have a pattern or something on it? as opposed to just homogenous knurls

PoopaPapaPalps likes this.
  49. halliwax

So maybe it’s time for me to share some of my research about the mystery chunk.

I spent a lot of time examining the pictures we have. Some of our best mystery chunk pictures is from “pop culture quest” with mark and Brandon.

I was thinking at first it was just a piece of metal like Brandon said, but a very reliable source told me it’s a found part

So I began digging and digging... I swear in the picture with Hamill Brandon that chunk has lettering on it (which I was proven wrong, but this helped me find what I think is the real chunk)

So first thing I thought was a X,8, or even M or N on the top of the chunk.
    With my dad building race cars I grew up around many steel work tools, and I remember some alphabet stamps and numbers he had to stamp them into the steel. And sure enough the end of the stamps have that same “bevel”

I dug and dug for vintage stamps, that’s when I came across some vintage stamps on a old eBay listing... same color brown too. I don’t have that picture with me now, but I took that listing which had the name of the original company, and googled. It was a German leather tool company, so I googled that. This company has been around since WWI and has been sold to a company in China and they now produce the same tools but in a chrome-y finish

Check these photos out

[​IMG]

And here is what I believe is the mystery chunk

[​IMG]

Since there was a lot of leather work done in production... I can imagine this sitting on a bench some where... they need to plug the hole in the V2, here snap this off and jam it in that hole

I don’t mean for this to derail starkiller’s thread. I just figure I would share this here, and see what dan and ever other V2 nut thinks about the curvature of the chunk

50. thd9791

Excellent work man! We all thought the chunk was beveled or round or not and this interesting shape would explain the drama.

browninsh metal?

halliwax likes this.