New Lord of the Rings films coming

SciFiMuseum

Sr Member
I hope they learn from Amazon's billion dollar mistake. Don't make movies using source material they have no rights to - that means no First Age or Second Age stories. There are plenty of tales to mine from The Lord of the Rings and its Appendices and they're all from the Third Age. Do that, and stay faithful to Tolkien's work, and they'll have a goldmine.

Corporate Hollywood rules: Anything is fair game for a remake once it hits 20 years old.

They won't give a monkey crap about whether they can top the Peter Jackson movies. What matters is that a lot of people will probably buy tickets to watch them try.

Fellowship of the Fans on Twitter revealed that the new WB ‘LOTR’ movies are not remakes or a ‘revamp’ but rather just additions/ spin-offs.

I hope this is true. It'll be nice to see the Angmar War, the Fall of Khazad-dûm and other stories from out of the Third Age brought to the big screen.

Taters: A LOTR Story
Potaytoes GIF by hero0fwar

Jackson started good but Two Towers focused on Helm's Deep fight wayyyy too much.

The extended versions were funner, better fleshed out.

The Hobbit was a money grab. Twenty minutes of scaffold rollercoaster. Dwarf -elf love....WHAT!?!??!

I havent watched the latest show, when I saw rants about elf diversity and how beautifully scenic it was, I figured Id be better off making props with my free time.

Hoping the new DnD movie is good.

Enjoying Vox Machina

Unlike all of you naysayers, I have confidence that the Hollywood writers of today, who were raised with post modern sensibilities, can expand upon Tolkien's traditional inspired works, faithfully recreating his masterful skill that had been honed through decades of scholarship, devout faith, and unique life experience.

Sorry, it's been done. Do something else, like.....something original. :unsure:
You could literally post that statement in any film discussion thread.

Another Star Wars film or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Batman movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Jurassic Park movie? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Marvel movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Spider-Man movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Aliens or Predators movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Unlike all of you naysayers, I have confidence that the Hollywood writers of today, who were raised with post modern sensibilities, can expand upon Tolkien's traditional inspired works, faithfully recreating his masterful skill that had been honed through decades of scholarship, devout faith, and unique life experience.

Attachments

• fimfiction.jpg
    fimfiction.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 63
Four words about why the naysayers exist and why your confidence should have some concern too: Power of the Rings.

I normally like to think of myself as open minded, willing to look for the good in things, and willing to set aside details I don't like to find the fun in media.

I give no ***** about any further LotR material. Those movies are perfect and I don't want or need anything else from that universe.

Granted, while I agree with a lot of the skepticism expressed here, I am cautiously looking forward to The War of the Rohirrim - an upcoming animated film about the original siege of the Hornburg against a Dunlending army that bestowed the valley's name, with Brian Cox voicing Helm Hammerhand and Miranda Otto reprising Eowyn in narration. I kind of wish it was live-action, but either way, I think it has some potential as long as they remain reasonably faithful to Tolkien's description and to the original trilogy's designs (though I won't complain if they give the fortress a drawbridge and a moat, because as much as I love its depiction in The Two Towers, it really ought to have had both).

You could literally post that statement in any film discussion thread.

Another Star Wars film or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Batman movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Jurassic Park movie? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Marvel movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Spider-Man movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Another Aliens or Predators movie or show? “Sorry, it’s been done. Do something else, like… something original”.

Not me. I don’t complain about the current state of Hollywood and the overuse of what others may call “bland franchise filmmaking”.

You see, I am a “rinse and repeat” kind of guy that has been eating the same breakfast, every day, for the last 20 years. I’m basically the target audience for modern franchise films and the reason that they keep getting produced (yes, you all may thank me for that).

I don’t like variety. I don’t like anything considered “new” or”different” regarding stories, characters, plots, or settings. I come for the tropes, member berries, easter eggs, and things I recognize.

Nothing makes me smile wider than a simple man encountering the complex delicacy of a snow cone than when I can I finish a cinema experience that is basically a Xerox copy of everything that came before it.

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt? Ha! “More of the same…more of the same…” is my mantra.

Excuse me while I take in the trailer for the latest upcoming franchise offering that celebrates a “magnificent family”…I hope nothing truly new comes of this:

Last edited:
Not me. I don’t complain about the current state of Hollywood and the overuse of what others may call “bland franchise filmmaking”.

You see, I am a “rinse and repeat” kind of guy that has been eating the same breakfast, every day, for the last 20 years. I’m basically the target audience for modern franchise films and the reason that they keep getting produced (yes, you all are welcome for that).

I don’t like variety. I don’t like anything considered “new” or”different” regarding stories, characters, plots, or settings. I come for the tropes, member berries, easter eggs, and things I recognize.

Nothing makes me smile wider than a simple man encountering the complex delicacy of a snow cone than when I can I finish a cinema experience that is basically a Xerox copy of everything that came before it.

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt? Ha! “More of the same…more of the same…” is my mantra.

Excuse me while I take in the trailer for the latest upcoming franchise offering that celebrates a “magnificent family”…I hope nothing truly new comes of this:

Allow me to tie this thread and Vin Diesel into a neat little bow...

"Actor Vin Diesel has commented on and compared his Fast & Furious franchise to J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. Speaking to Variety, Diesel said it has become difficult to expand the 'mythology' of the Fast & Furious franchise, not unlike how Diesel believes that Tolkien must have had a difficult time expanding the Lord of the Rings universe.

'You know what gets harder? The work off-screen. The thinking, the expanding… there's a reason why Tolkien stopped writing after a while,' Diesel said (via DigitalSpy). 'Because it's so hard to continue mythologies. Nobody thinks about it in that context, but it's real.'"

Bless you, Vin Diesel. Never change.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back