new Licensed Kurgan Helmet with major changes...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by irishamericanlad, Nov 3, 2011.

1. irishamericanlad

irishamericanlad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

hey gys and gals... i have been in works with Davis/Panzer productions for a few months and have been awarded several licenses to produce and the first, of course, was the kurgan helmet... after talking with Peter davis i took my helmet and my screen used one and went to town on making changes... i changed the texture of the helmet, adding more spongey bone to it, i added more texture and lines to the back and completly redid the spine bones... i think its a much more menacing helmet now... i also changed the process.. with help from a good friend and prop maker i am now making the helmets excatly how they did in the film.. using powders in teh mold and fiberglass laying... its super lightweight and stronger than my original... i am redoing the hair mounts now but this is a quick post on the helmet.. all helmets will be numbered, the insides will be lined with a light felt and will have the official placard attached... anyway heres a few pics to compare the old with the new... ill be posting in differant threads all that i am making for DP productions but i want to start here because you guys were here with me the entire time i redid the first one...
    enough chatter lol...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mbmcfarland likes this.
  2. Ozymandius

Ozymandius Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very nice work. The texture and detailing really make it pop.

Sean Hebein likes this.
  3. irishamericanlad

4. kwalsh0000

kwalsh0000 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow very nice man, very very nice!

5. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member

oh, that is sweeeet! :D
    any idea as to costs at present?

6. irishamericanlad

thats all based on what Davis productions decides.. i was selling the first ones for 4-500 depending on situation...

7. madmax

madmax Sr Member

There can only be one,i wish i could afford it

8. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Looks awesome...even better than your first! I'm in!:thumbsup

9. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I'm lost. Why not just cast the original?

10. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was thinking the same.

Awesome work none the less! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Nick

11. irishamericanlad

why not cast the original? its the original, one of a kind, only 4 of them left that im aware of, and how many screen used things are used for official props? this is something that is not the original but maintains the spirit of it...

12. BlueHarvest

BlueHarvest Active Member

Looks awesome!

13. Indy Magnoli

Indy Magnoli Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good! I like the bronze finish too.

14. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

EFX comes to mind... :)

15. irishamericanlad

i have alot of screen used stuff and if i make copies of them then the original looses its excitment.. dont get me wrong, the original kurgan helmet is a masterpiece but i was hired and paid to make something that wasnt the original but was just as sexy lol..

16. nick daring

nick daring Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The original may loose a little of the excitement for the original buyer but then that little bit of excitement gets passed onto hundreds of fans everywhere. A worthwhile tradeoff in my opinion.

Prop collectors freak out and open there wallets when something is cast directly off an original. It's almost like owning an original. A little bit of the original magic, ya know. Who wouldn't want that!?

Prop collectors LOVE screen used cast pieces.

Nick

17. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Congratulations well deserved!

Did you show them your Armor?

18. Stormshadow

Stormshadow Well-Known Member

It looks awesome, so are these being sold? or already spoken for?

19. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They are Licensed pieces and I am sure we will be the first to know when they go on sale

20. byrdy

byrdy New Member

hi im currently building a custom motorcycle known as a streetfighter with the highlander as the theme i would love to purchase one of these but seems ive missed the boat so to speak anyone know where i can get one they are amazing i tried to build my own but just couldnt get it right

21. irishamericanlad

sent you an email

22. Chris Fields

Chris Fields Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Irish has put a ton of work in making this helmet available, he doesn't want to cast the original. I wouldn't either. It kinda defeats the purpose of all the work he's been doing. Plus, as an artisan, I'm sure he'd rather sell his own work, rather than casts of some one else's work, even if it's the original piece. I feel the same way. If you like this helmet, then get one. I wish I could, Irish has been putting out some fantastic work. But don't complain when he doesn't want to cast his own collection pieces from other makers.

23. falken108

falken108 Well-Known Member

I know this is a really old thread, however, I just noticesd it.
    Was the helmet that was used for the production run, a completly new sculpt ?
    Or was it the reworked helmet you bought from me.
    If the reworked one was used, I hope the original sculptor, Pete Mander was also at least credited for his work.

24. irishamericanlad

Everyone knows that he was the original sculptor, i give him props at every turn.. And it's good to know that I changed more than 50 percent of the helmet into a completely new thing..