Announcement New Junkyard Coming!

I'm pretty sure most people are scammed by folks doing runs of items, not the guys selling individual items.

If a single item is listed, it's there and in hand, and I think goes through pretty clean.

It's when people do a run, take 10+ deposits and then disappear.

Make people who want to be a registered seller, who want to sell runs and long term offers pay if anyone is going to pay, but the Joe Blow who just wants to sell his figure or helmet, let him do it for free.

Re: Can we make a better Junkyard?

There will be a great purge coming.

Indeed, and it will go something like this

" Then I saw Him open the sixth seal. A violent earthquake occurred; the sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair; the entire moon became like blood; the stars of heaven fell to the earth as a fig tree drops its unripe figs when shaken by a high wind; the sky separated like a scroll being rolled up; and every mountain and island was moved from its place."

:lol

Indeed, and it will go something like this

" Then I saw Him open the sixth seal. A violent earthquake occurred; the sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair; the entire moon became like blood; the stars of heaven fell to the earth as a fig tree drops its unripe figs when shaken by a high wind; the sky separated like a scroll being rolled up; and every mountain and island was moved from its place."

:lol

my dad has requested this to be read at his funeral...awesome. and, umm... good to hear about a jy change up

One thing I'd really like in the JY is the ability to browse items for sale from (for example) the UK. here's so much cool stuff on there and it's daily heartbreak seeing stuff that is going to be like another $100 just for shipping.

Make people who want to be a registered seller, who want to sell runs and long term offers pay if anyone is going to pay, but the Joe Blow who just wants to sell his figure or helmet, let him do it for free.
Joe can always spend $4 for a one month membership to sell his item, or go to ebay were the fees will likely exceed $4 (and using ebay won't give Joe the warm fuzzy feeling that comes with supporting a great community ;) ).
Running this site takes staff, and the staff needs food! :lol Seriously, I think the massive amount of invaluable information offered here is more than enough "free", why does anybody deserve a free platform to sell stuff?

Joe can always spend $4 for a one month membership to sell his item, or go to ebay were the fees will likely exceed $4 (and using ebay won't give Joe the warm fuzzy feeling that comes with supporting a great community ;) ).
Running this site takes staff, and the staff needs food! :lol Seriously, I think the massive amount of invaluable information offered here is more than enough "free", why does anybody deserve a free platform to sell stuff?

Completely agree.

The Junkyard isn't really the focal point of the RPF and It is also a huge headache for the mods, so we're lucky we even have the JY. Without it buying and selling would be incredibly disorganized and difficult.

Paying a couple dollars a month for a premium membership is nothing compared to what most get back out of this site. I think the premium membership requirement won't hinder scamming but the new buyer/seller feedback will to a degree in that it will make info easier to access that warns of buyers and sellers' poor business practices in the past instead of having to research through a sellers threads to see how their runs have turned out etc.

As far as people that do a run, take your money and then do a disappearing act, I would never deal with unless they had a well established positive reputation and then there's always the risk still if the turnaround time is more than the 45 days.

If a run is projected to take under the paypal dispute cutoff date time frame but doesn't meet that criteria, then ask for a refund and if they try to delay then open a paypal dispute to get your money back. and never ever ever pay as a gift unless you know the person and they live in your house and they keep their money in your sock drawer for crying out loud.

I'm curious to see what the JY listing format will look like personally. :popcorn

My question is - will it get rid of the pests who bump daily?

There is someone in the JY - never posts elsewhere or contributes - bumps his item daily - just becomes annoying.
i think he believes it's amusing but it just pisses people off. Others like him drive down legitimate posts from the first few pages...

Oh, and while I'm at it - when can we get a "next" button in the navigation?

There is someone in the JY - never posts elsewhere or contributes - bumps his item daily - just becomes annoying.
i think he believes it's amusing but it just pisses people off. Others like him drive down legitimate posts from the first few pages...

I like the navigation button idea. As for the bumping problem, DEFINITELY eliminate. I think some people don't know (but they should), and some just don't care. 1 bump every 24 hours, unless a question is being answered, then the clock restarts.
I don't mind daily bumping, but when it's gone on FOREVER (with no apparent status change, sales, etc...), I'm like stop beating that dead horse. One particular piece of apparel comes to mind....;)

What's going to happen to ACTIVE PROJECTS

I'm running a big one right now and if I wake up and the thread is gone someone gonna have some splaining to do.

What's going to happen to ACTIVE PROJECTS

I'm running a big one right now and if I wake up and the thread is gone someone gonna have some splaining to do.

I thought Art had mentioned something somewhere, at least along the lines that current projects would be allowed to complete even if they were not supported the same way with the new rules. Your project is big enough, that would be a NIGHTMARE if it got discombobulated (the word for Tuesday :) )

I have an INT post for commission work in the JY that I bump when a slot opens in my schedule; there are a couple of others I can think of as well, offering kit building and painting/etc... I've wondered if these would be no longer possible either, since they fall more under a 'services offered' type of ad that may not be supported.

Does this person have 3-4 threads all bumped at the same time?

Well I'm getting the feeling that the "mass purge" may purge a lot of threads that contain project info.

I don't know how they will be able to pick which threads to save

Well I'm getting the feeling that the "mass purge" may purge a lot of threads that contain project info.

I don't know how they will be able to pick which threads to save

I've no idea of the logistics (or space needed), but would it be realistic to archive all of the JY threads going back X amount of time, locking them but leaving them accessible to view? Active projects like yours could be carried over (or just updated to a new format), while all of the original information would still be available. Just spitballing here. :)

When are we going to se the new JY?

We realized some issues with what we had built, so we just paid for an update to be made. We are hoping that new coding will be done by the end of the week and then we can test it and then... FINALLY, we can get this in place.

So I was browsing the Junkyard. It is cool to see the awesome creations people have for sale. Unfortunately, 2 days go by and the item is lost among the fresh new posts. I was wondering if it would make more sense to put a junkyard under each category instead of by itself. For example, under the Star Wars section, put all related items for sale/trade in there. The person posting would have the option of choosing which section to put it in. Its late at night and that's when these ideas come to me. Sorry if this is a bad idea :facepalm

I can understand the logic, but the complications would outweigh the benefits.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back