Announcement New Junkyard Coming!

Will there be a transitional period where people who have long term run threads will be able to convert their thread over to the new format (assuming they become premium members)? Maybe have the old junkyard locked down to read only for a short time before removing it completely?

Also, the Premium membership isn't going to go up in cost with this change is it?

Yes, there will definitely be a transition period for this.

Premium Member cost increase. I honestly don't know. I can tell you that we do want to raise it by $1 a month but whether we do or not... I can't say for certain at this time. We have run into a technical issue with that.

:popcorn I love the changes on the horizon...
And I am anxiously watching for the inevitable explosion of the people who only have 20 posts and only sell in the JY.
They will rant about "how can you spring this on us all of a sudden", since they don't frequent any other forum pages outside of selling wares.
I mean, how were they supposed to know about the changes? It isn't like we have been discussing it for over 6 months :lol

So it took until post #12 to give us the knife twist of the new Junkyard? ;)

Seriously...I like the accountability that will be applied. All good there. :)

On only premium members being able to post in the Junkyard when selling....

I am fine with that but does your one month only membership still apply in that regard? So if I am ready to unload a bunch of stuff I can do so by simply purchasing a month or two of premium membership?

From the discussions in the PM forum earlier, yes the month by month PM members will be able to sell in the JY. That was actually the solution I presented when someone mentioned that they might only have one FS thread a year. A very small fee IMO for a large audience. I don't even view it as a loophole, as there are several other benefits to a premium membership that can't really be fully realized via a short term membership.

I am fine with that but does your one month only membership still apply in that regard? So if I am ready to unload a bunch of stuff I can do so by simply purchasing a month or two of premium membership?

Cool info, Luke0312...I appreciate it.

Yeah...I have no real problem with a longer premium membership but I know I will not be able to utilize all that it offers. Just too busy with real life.

But I like the option to do a month or so if I need to in order to unload stuff in the JY.

From the discussions in the PM forum earlier, yes the month by month PM members will be able to sell in the JY. That was actually the solution I presented when someone mentioned that they might only have one FS thread a year. A very small fee IMO for a large audience. I don't even view it as a loophole, as there are several other benefits to a premium membership that can't really be fully realized via a short term membership.

I had a question. Will the feedback be anonymous? Say for example you deal with a flake in the JY, so you leave them negative feedback and they know it's from you, so they leave negative feedback as a result from getting butt hurt from your honesty. Is that a very convoluted question, hehe?

Will the feedback be in the form of comments or a 5 star rating system or both like Evilbay?

I think the feedback system will up the quality of most sellers work for fear of building a negative reputation that will be easy to see from buyers and vice versa :thumbsup !

You can indeed. While the main focus of this move is accountability and knocking off the low-level scammers, we do believe that most people who are active members but who don't have a Premium Membership will want to maintain it once they have it for a while. For those who simply can't afford to maintain one, they will have the option to purchase by the month for when they want to sell.

I had a question. Will the feedback be anonymous? Say for example you deal with a flake in the JY, so you leave them negative feedback and they know it's from you, so they leave negative feedback as a result from getting butt hurt from your honesty. Is that a very convoluted question, hehe?

Will the feedback be in the form of comments or a 5 star rating system or both like Evilbay?

I think the feedback system will up the quality of most sellers work for fear of building a negative reputation that will be easy to see from buyers and vice versa :thumbsup !

Feedback will not be anonymous. I certainly understand your concern, but we have found a very low rate of abuse in our use of this system at TDH.

:popcorn I love the changes on the horizon...
And I am anxiously watching for the inevitable explosion of the people who only have 20 posts and only sell in the JY.
They will rant about "how can you spring this on us all of a sudden", since they don't frequent any other forum pages outside of selling wares.
I mean, how were they supposed to know about the changes? It isn't like we have been discussing it for over 6 months :lol

Well I didn't know about it until I read a chance comment by someone about new junkyard rules. The first place I went to look for a thread on such was the stickies in the junkyard. Next place was here. I'm here for props and I don't have any questions about the site, so why would I be browsing this forum? You have to admit, it's pretty dull reading for the most part.

Anyway, it all sounds pretty reasonable, although the comparison to ebay made me shudder a little bit! I don't love the fact that a seller has to be a premium member though I understand why it's been done, and certainly compared to ebay fees it's a bargain. However I am concerned about it restricting the sale of small stuff. Stuff that someone has only one of and would normally sell for $5-$10 just to get rid of it. Maybe you already looked at this and it's a very small percentage of sales, but it seems like it could be a casualty of the new rules.

Well I didn't know about it until I read a chance comment by someone about new junkyard rules. The first place I went to look for a thread on such was the stickies in the junkyard. Next place was here. I'm here for props and I don't have any questions about the site, so why would I be browsing this forum? You have to admit, it's pretty dull reading for the most part.

We have not made a big, high-visibility announcement yet because the software isn't finished. Once it is completed (we keep finding more things we want to add and for what seems like a REALLY simple piece of software, there is a lot to the backend of it) and we have started testing the final build, we will post something out that will be hard to miss.

Anyway, it all sounds pretty reasonable, although the comparison to ebay made me shudder a little bit! I don't love the fact that a seller has to be a premium member though I understand why it's been done, and certainly compared to ebay fees it's a bargain. However I am concerned about it restricting the sale of small stuff. Stuff that someone has only one of and would normally sell for $5-$10 just to get rid of it. Maybe you already looked at this and it's a very small percentage of sales, but it seems like it could be a casualty of the new rules.

This does make up a very small percentage of sales. Honestly, what we expect is that this won't impact many people at all because quite a few of our "regulars" are already Premium Members. For them, life will just go on as normal expect they will have a great new way to sell more effectively. For someone who comes in that wants to sell their item, they will need to pay, but the hope is that it won't be an isolated sale or event. Hopefully these people will stick around, see the value in what we have to offer and become long-term, contributing members.

Can we make a better Junkyard?

So I was browsing the Junkyard. It is cool to see the awesome creations people have for sale. Unfortunately, 2 days go by and the item is lost among the fresh new posts. I was wondering if it would make more sense to put a junkyard under each category instead of by itself. For example, under the Star Wars section, put all related items for sale/trade in there. The person posting would have the option of choosing which section to put it in. Its late at night and that's when these ideas come to me. Sorry if this is a bad idea :facepalm

We ran into a number of issues, but are testing the final coding now. Hopefully going to have this in place very soon.

I buy into the premium requirement to sell as a true seller in the JY, people who are selling a run, or regular sellers ongoing and such. I'm just not to hip into the blocking people from selling their individual stuff because they don't pay for premium.

Re: Can we make a better Junkyard?

...plus, there´s an extra section for suggestions and board related discussion, NO need to spoil the JY even more ;)

Markus

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back