Announcement New Junkyard Coming!

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
Update 2014.02.13 - Well, we were planning to roll this out on Monday, but that just isn't going to happen. In our testing, we have run into a number of issues that we are just not satisfied with and which is making us go back and redevelop a number of areas. Overall, it is looking good, but we want even this first version of the software to work well, so we are paying more to have more features added.

----
We have been mentioning this off and on for almost 6 months now, but we finally got out custom plugin installed today and it is VERY cool! We still have a few minor tweaks to work out, but in the next two weeks, expect an ALL NEW Junkyard! We are extremely excited to be able to offer this to you and can't wait to see what you think!

In some ways (and don't freak out), it will be a little more like eBay in that you will have a form to fill out with specific info for selling. This way, the minimum information provided by a seller will be consistent and potential buyers will have a much more consistent experience when looking through items they want to buy. We will also include a long-asked-for seller rating system, like we have been doing at TDH for 2 years. There will be an all-new graphic front end for sales threads which will allow buyer to browse VERY quickly and get the bare minimum info they want on an item without even having to go into a thread. We bought a pet dragon. Single item sales will be separated from long-term runs. We hope the result will be much faster turn around on sales and hope that the experience will be improved for both buyer and seller alike. There is more than that, but those are just the high points.

So what exactly can we expect?

LOTS of this :lol

darthnoooooo.jpeg

We bought a pet dragon.

Whats its name?

I'm pretty happy with what I'm reading here. Anything that forces a standard amount of information is great in my mind. Especially if, to submit the thread, you need a picture of the item. It frustrates me to no end when I open a thread and then have to further wait (or sometimes even send an email) to get pictures.
I can't understand why you'd be in such a rush to start a thread without getting pictures first.

Sounds good. Will the feedback system start only from when introduced or can past purchasers leave feedback?

Rating system quick view and single item/ Multi Run sales separation, If that's the high points what the heck is the low?.

All good changes I`m sure. :) anything that gives users a faster way to browse and a easier interaction for the sellers is a good thing.

Sounds good. Will the feedback system start only from when introduced or can past purchasers leave feedback?

There is no reason that I can think of, if a seller reached out to his previous buyers and asked for feedback, that they couldn't provide it.

Whats its name?

I'm pretty happy with what I'm reading here. Anything that forces a standard amount of information is great in my mind. Especially if, to submit the thread, you need a picture of the item. It frustrates me to no end when I open a thread and then have to further wait (or sometimes even send an email) to get pictures.
I can't understand why you'd be in such a rush to start a thread without getting pictures first.

So you guys DO read these things! ;) His name is Lloyd. Not a very dragony name, but it is the best we could do.

We are VERY excited about this, although, as with anything, I am sure there will need to be some time to get used to the new system and surely there will be some kinks that need to be worked out.

And yes, a photo will be required.

What we are doing focuses on benefiting both the buyer and seller. It does place more burden on the seller but we believe it will also mean items will sell more quickly because a buyer will get all the info they need right out of the gate. The buyer benefits because they will get a preformatted and consistent amount of information, hopefully the minimum info they need in order to make the decision to buy.

Rating system quick view and single item/ Multi Run sales separation, If that's the high points what the heck is the low?.

All good changes I`m sure. :) anything that gives users a faster way to browse and a easier interaction for the sellers is a good thing.

The low? Depends on who you ask as to whether this is truly considered a "low" but the one big change that will get the most negative push-back is that you will not be able to create new sales threads unless you are a Premium Member. A lot of people aren't going to like that, but there are a number of reasons we are doing it. First and foremost is that we have had a massive influx of fly-by-nighters who come in just to make money off our members with no real interest in the community. These predators cause the most issues in our sales forum. While we typically don't mediate sales issues, we believe that if we put a small barrier in their path, the worst of the worst won't bother. Others won't do it just on principle... but again, do you want someone like that selling here? Our answer is "no." This will also cut down on some of the junk sales as people won't pay (unless they already have a Premium Membership) to offer those items. This will cut down on both your problems and ours. Obviously, this will also generate more money for the community, which we can then use to purchase more software for you (like an IM system, video chat, etc).

We are very excited to see how browsing works out and will be taking feedback from you, as we already have a v2 of the sales software planned, with even more features that should makes sales even easier!

Small question:
I become a premium member, then I want to start a FS thread, how will that work for people like myself who haven't sold a thing in the past? So far I've only purchased a thing here and there. :confused

Prediction:

A LOT of ranting, a few threads on the matter

For sure!

, and a couple bannings as a result.

I sincerely hope not. I feel, by and large, we have gotten rid of most of the problem-children and we don't see as much of the childish rants we used to see (at least not on the site ;)) in the past. There is sure to be feedback and we knew from the very beginning that many people will not like that we are making them "pay to post" in an area that used to be free, even though we are doing it in the best interests of the community as a whole.

What can I say, I'm a prophet. :lol

Small question:
I become a premium member, then I want to start a FS thread, how will that work for people like myself who haven't sold a thing in the past? So far I've only purchased a thing here and there. :confused

I am not sure I understand the question. If you become a premium member, you will be able to create sales threads, regardless of past sales. Is there something I said that makes you think you would not be able to do so?

I am not sure I understand the question. If you become a premium member, you will be able to create sales threads, regardless of past sales. Is there something I said that makes you think you would not be able to do so?

Sorry... I meant regards to the whole feedback system, I won't have any feedback since I haven't sold a thing. Where as on eBay for example you get feedback even when you buy stuff. I hope that's better :)

Sorry... I meant regards to the whole feedback system, I won't have any feedback since I haven't sold a thing. Where as on eBay for example you get feedback even when you buy stuff. I hope that's better :)

The feedback system will work for both buyers and sellers.

Will there be a transitional period where people who have long term run threads will be able to convert their thread over to the new format (assuming they become premium members)? Maybe have the old junkyard locked down to read only for a short time before removing it completely?

Also, the Premium membership isn't going to go up in cost with this change is it?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back