NEW inexpensive Indiana Jones GOLDEN IDOL (not licensed) $79

After over 4 weeks in transit (and around $80.00 in postal fees to Aus) I see today that my package is somewhere in the EDGEWOOD in the USA instead of having been delivered to me in Australia.

I wonder if Indy grabbed it in transit...

good to know it’s that much to Aus, i think i’ll pass for the moment [emoji28]

Thank You so much @Jedifyfe!

I ordered directly from Amazon here in Italy, it costed way less than ordering from the US with duties and shipping.

I'll let You guys know how it is my copy!

Regards,

Alberto

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mine a few minutes ago which after the expensive postage costs to Aus and over 5 weeks is a bit of a relief.

I'm surprised that its heavier than I thought it would be and although the plating is not great (quite a bit of silver and some scuffing from transit), the overall impact is of a very decent idol and I am very happy to have it...

MARK

After receiving my idol back, toynk offered a replacement with noticable scratch on the chest of the idol. They stated all of their inventory is that way. Admittedly there delay in communication on my part, but after questioning them about this, they just refunded my money without a response. So, if you are puchasing from them, be sure to check your idol for signigicant blemishes. :( And now I'm without an idol. :cry

This is what they offered for a replacement:
IdolPhoto.JPG

You’re just picky!! :)

For the price they’re offered, I wouldn’t mind the small micro scratch vs having none at all!

Anyway, you’d have a perfect one and it will topple over by accident, same result in the end!

Well, I guess there’s always 800$ scratchless ones out there! Ha!

After receiving my idol back, toynk offered a replacement with noticable scratch on the chest of the idol. They stated all of their inventory is that way. Admittedly there delay in communication on my part, but after questioning them about this, they just refunded my money without a response. So, if you are puchasing from them, be sure to check your idol for signigicant blemishes. :( And now I'm without an idol. :cry

This is what they offered for a replacement:
View attachment 825983

Dude, seriously? You want an absolute pristine, perfect idol for 80 bucks shipped?!
Yeah, you're better off without one :facepalm

If its weight was comparable to a bag of sand, it was probably quartz, covered by a gold leaf. That's my theory, at least.

If its weight was comparable to a bag of sand, it was probably quartz, covered by a gold leaf. That's my theory, at least.
In reality it’d be hollow and not solid, and probably made up out of a number of different pieces of gold sheet (or more typically gold alloy) all soldered together. This is a great example of a ‘poporo’ (which was used to hold lime powder) from the pre-Columbian Quimbaya civilisation from modern day Colombia (not far from Medellin):
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F5YPYG/be...in-ancient-colombia-autumn-show-at-F5YPYG.jpg

Aside from the hollow poporos, I can’t think of any large golden figures in pre-Columbian South American cultures, they were typically small (either 3D or flat). I’ve not studied the Chachapoyans very much, but the majority of their artefacts appear to be ceramic – which would fit in with other pre-Columbian Peruvian cultures. I just went through the British Museum’s online collection catalogue of Peruvian artefacts and there are few little gold objects, with the overwhelming majority being ceramic. So it’d be much more likely for a large idol to be ceramic which was adorned with gold jewellery, something like this (also Quimbayan):
https://p1.liveauctioneers.com/2284...=1&width=512&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=50

End of history-hijack :lol

Last edited:
I have a second one with no scratches or blemishes. The usual gold to silver issue on mouth and ears but a very nice piece, if.. someone needs a good one. You can pm me. I always purchase a couple and look at getting rid of a rough one but received to very nice pieces, so no complaints here.

Great point! I hadn't thought of it being ceramic, and that would account for why the bag of sand is actually heavier than the idol! As far as I know, the actual idol that it was modeled after was the "Dumbarton Oaks Idol" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumbarton_Oaks_birthing_figure , which was carved from scapolite, which is considerably softer (a 5-6 mohs scale), and a little less dense than quartz, but I like the ceramic idea, it being hollow makes sense in the context of the film.

Because I cannot afford a nicer one at the moment, I picked one if these up. The plating had some scratches and I thought it was much too shiny. I dirtied it up a bit to hide the imperfections and the silver that shows in some of the corners. I also put a light dull coat on it. I filled it up with sand, filled the hole and gold leafed the bottom . I think it looks much better.
20200403_124319.jpg
20200403_124303.jpg
20200403_124246.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back