New Indiana Jones Items from Disney - Sankara Stone, Crystal Skull, Holy Grail, Idol, Staff of Ra headpiece

What was the Lucasfilm Gift version? Disney should’ve used that as the cherubs are much better than the Disney headpiece.
They were resin copies of the medallion given to members of the crew that made Raiders of the Lost Ark. I think a few have been sold at auctions over the years and copied. One version had something blocking the tail feathers on the bird, which is why the tail feathers aren't right on some versions. I forget the exact details.

Duncanator explained it in the Staff of Ra Medallion thread (Click HERE: to go to the relevant bits and a picture of a crew gift version, etc.)

I may have a possible explanation of the "crew member" feather details.
There was a mold of the headpiece floating around the ILM modelshop in the 90's that had the base area embedded in a hemisphere - obscuring the bottoms of the tail feathers. It's possible that someone took one of those and sanded away the dome and resculpted the feathers.

Wow, thanks for the history lesson! I had no idea there were so many versions floating around out there. All I can say is: George Lucas must have the worst security in the world with all these versions that claim to be cast from an original. ;) As much as I love the Disney headpiece, I ordered Dark Matter Props antiqued Imam headpiece. The cherubs look outstanding from the photos; much better than Disney’s. And what’s the story with Acme? Did they close up shop? I went looking and couldn’t find them…

Wow, thanks for the history lesson! I had no idea there were so many versions floating around out there. All I can say is: George Lucas must have the worst security in the world with all these versions that claim to be cast from an original. ;) As much as I love the Disney headpiece, I ordered Dark Matter Props antiqued Imam headpiece. The cherubs look outstanding from the photos; much better than Disney’s. And what’s the story with Acme? Did they close up shop? I went looking and couldn’t find them…
I have the Dark Matter antiqued Imam (along with several others). In my opinion that's the best "bang for the buck" out currently. If you want the very best then you'd want RelicMaker or Sarednab. Acme (not to be confused with ReplicaProps/AcmeArtifacts) hasn't been around since early 2000's.

Hasbro Pulse just did a partial reveal of some Indy items coming up before the release of the new movie next year. If you’re interested in watching it’s on YouTube under Hasbro Pulse’s channel. Most of the stuff was action figure related, but one role playing item is the headpiece of the Staff of Ra: this one comes with the headpiece, a small piece of the staff to plug it into, and a base that recreates the floor holes in the map room. When you plug the staff into the correct hole the symbols along the headpiece and the center crystal light up. Being the OCD completist I am, I’ll have to get one. I believe they’re offering some as presale on the Hasbro Pulse website tonight at 6 PM EST. Don’t worry if it sells out: they’ll be everywhere next year. (Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, etc)

Hasbro Pulse just did a partial reveal of some Indy items coming up before the release of the new movie next year. If you’re interested in watching it’s on YouTube under Hasbro Pulse’s channel. Most of the stuff was action figure related, but one role playing item is the headpiece of the Staff of Ra: this one comes with the headpiece, a small piece of the staff to plug it into, and a base that recreates the floor holes in the map room. When you plug the staff into the correct hole the symbols along the headpiece and the center crystal light up. Being the OCD completist I am, I’ll have to get one. I believe they’re offering some as presale on the Hasbro Pulse website tonight at 6 PM EST. Don’t worry if it sells out: they’ll be everywhere next year. (Amazon, Target, Wal-Mart, etc)
Screenshot_20221001-164837~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-164842~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-164832~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-164852~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-164824~2.jpg
Screenshot_20221001-164831~2.jpg

I know it’s probably plastic, but I like the light up feature. It’ll never make it to my Indy relics shelf, but it’ll join all the other Indy knickknacks I’ve acquired over the years.

And VonMagnum: that’s a damn fine trophy room you’ve got there!

Last edited:
I know it’s probably plastic, but I like the light up feature. It’ll never make it to my Indy relics shelf, but it’ll join all the other Indy knickknacks I’ve acquired over the years.

And VonMagnum: that’s a damn fine trophy room you’ve got there!
It's actually my home theater room with 6 seats in three rows and 17 speakers including 6 overhead. I was debating between heavy drapes and movie props. I'm thinking the drapes would have been far cheaper..., but not as much fun.

My home theater + props thread:

That is awesome! Love the Conan sword and Maltese Falcon, but where did you get the Blade Runner memory crystal? It’s fantastic!

Last edited:
That is awesome! Love the Conan sword and Maltese Falcon, but where did you get the Blade Runner memory crystal? It’s fantastic!
eBay. It probably was Dark Matter props, but I think I won it from an auction used at a reduced price. The Blade Runner Colibri lighter Rachael used is the really rare/hard to find item, especially with the same finish and no monogram.

One skull was filled with the texture like the disneyversion the other one was more clean like glass or real crystal.Its also interesting how different the sculpt was.
0.jpg

Tried my hand at making the grail and the stone serviceable. The Grail shape and gold inside the cup is actually nice, the rest not so much.

The stone I used a wood burning iron to etch melt in the line marks.

Happy with The Grail now, stone is what it is.

Looking forward to the headpiece, should be hard for Disney to mess up.
The grail is a huge improvement. Did you sand off the original finish and redo it from scratch? Would love to know what you did and what products were used.

The grail is a huge improvement. Did you sand off the original finish and redo it from scratch? Would love to know what you did and what products were used.
Thanks! I used acetone to strip off the weird gray paint off the top, then some duct tape to dab away the gold foil because it is literally just sheets glued on. This breaks the foil and cracks it while removing some material.

Then used rub n buff to knock down the gold edges and blur it our a little bit.

Lastly I got a white chalk pen and bled out the “ink” on a paper towel and dabbed it all over the grail.

Attachments

• 71FFC240-4C05-4AFD-B76D-E8D4B2E02C26.jpeg
    71FFC240-4C05-4AFD-B76D-E8D4B2E02C26.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 106
  • D80CC299-9516-4B43-A17C-A1A8182F14E4.jpeg
    D80CC299-9516-4B43-A17C-A1A8182F14E4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • 7A145C53-EC3C-47B0-9721-C517EE186BC2.jpeg
    7A145C53-EC3C-47B0-9721-C517EE186BC2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 100

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back