New Horizons Probe

Go Flight

Hi all,
Been busy for a while. I was commissioned by an NJ Science Center to build a New Horizons (NH) probe. The only instructions I had was to make it as close to 24" as possible. Naturally I jumped at the project.
The first thing I had to do was to get large sized plans of NH. I took the .pdf blue prints from the New Horizons site, printed them out and took them to my local Staples. what I got back fit the bill perfectly --
001.JPG

The next item I had to deal with was how was I going to make the High Gain antenna. At this scale the antenna was supposed to be about 15 inches in diameter. I've done a few vac-form things, but nothing of this scale. For this I came here for help. Al (AKA IEDBOUNTYHUNTER) from South Texas Model and Design stepped up and offered to help. I gave him the info and in less than 10 days I had my HGA.
Afterward he asked and I gave the ok for him to post a "how-to" on how he did what he did. Look at it here --
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=241003

The start and end pics look like this --
dish1.jpg
antenna_final.jpeg

Next was for me to start cutting foam. I initially had a problem with my foam cutter and went old school with a sharp knife. No Good. I was just hacking the foam up. After getting what I can best describe as a hot wire table saw, things went a bit smoother --
Before closing it up, I had to include a shaft way for the base to be and the circular instrument to the left is LORRI.

006.JPG

Next the bus was covered up and seams sealed --

008.JPG

Once again we can see the base shaft way, LORRI and the item in between is the Star Tracker. Next image shows the Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (RTG), and a few of the other experiments -- Low Gain Antenna, SWAP, Alice, Ralph, and Pepssi --

002%u00252B%u002525282%u00252529.JPG
003%u00252B%u002525282%u00252529.JPG

Now it was time to foil the craft and add the experiments. There was a few places where I had to compromise accuracy for durability. As I didn't know if this would be in a case or out for people to touch. Here's the final images --

012.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG

Thanks for looking.

... I didn't know if this would be in a case or out for people to touch..

Every modeler's nightmare. Whenever you show off a model they just know where not to touch, heheh. :) Whenever my wife picks up some parts I'm showing off she can sense my tension and she would pretend missing her grip and I'd let out a yelp. She gets a real thrill out of doing that.

Beautiful build, GoFlight! And that dish from Al is fantastic!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the kind words from a talent group like yourselves.

Every modeler's nightmare. Whenever you show off a model they just know where not to touch, heheh. :) Whenever my wife picks up some parts I'm showing off she can sense my tension and she would pretend missing her grip and I'd let out a yelp. She gets a real thrill out of doing that.

Beautiful build, GoFlight! And that dish from Al is fantastic!

Thanks and Agreed. Even people that you think should know better still feel the need to pick it up to have a better look. I really think these ppl think the models are toys...

An Ex ILM friend of mine told me they would always use the rollo candy wrappers for there foil. I forget what movie it was but they bought dozens of boxes of the candy to use on the models

An Ex ILM friend of mine told me they would always use the rollo candy wrappers for there foil. I forget what movie it was but they bought dozens of boxes of the candy to use on the models

Thanks to *you* Al. I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to start if I had to do the HGA by myself.
I've done little vac form things, but this size? ... not so much. LOL
Oh yeah, some use Rollos wrappers. But my thing is that I would eat them. Haha I can't afford to gain more weight every time I built a space probe. ;) So I just get the empty bulk wrappers.
And for anyone that's interested and I'm not trying to draw ppl away from this forum, but there is a Space Modelers Group over at Yahoo. There is a ton of knowledge on everything space modeling there.

Yes, I can recommend the Space Modelers Group, also. Gold mine for 'Real Space' modeling...
R. Robert

Hehe absolutely.
The story I always tell when recommending the forum is that a while back someone was going to build a mini VAB building to go with either his shuttle or Apollo launch vehicle, But he was going to do it all up. There was discussion about the layout of the inside - back and forth and back and forth. Then this one guy comes in and writes. "The inside was like... this and this.." Someone else came back "Are you sure, becasue..." The one guys writes back. "While I worked for NASA, my office was in the VAB, I saw it every day for 15 years..."
HAHA so you never really know who your talking to there. ;)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back