New hope for X-Wing/TIE type game

Knowing Lucas, he's probably making a game for his new Red Tails movie.

This.

Or some Clone Wars era thing. And "air combat" doesn't necessarily mean "air combat sim." I gather that the recent "Secret Weapons over Normandy" was just a generic console flight combat game, so, hardly a sim.

Basically, don't hold your breath. The space/flight combat sim days are well behind us (even though I'd love a resurgence).

This.

Or some Clone Wars era thing. And "air combat" doesn't necessarily mean "air combat sim." I gather that the recent "Secret Weapons over Normandy" was just a generic console flight combat game, so, hardly a sim.

Basically, don't hold your breath. The space/flight combat sim days are well behind us (even though I'd love a resurgence).

I wouldn't mind a Red Tails flight/combat sim, but yea, sadly sim games are behind us. :cry

I didn't think about that, but right now flightsims aren't as widely popular. I think a SW space sim would sell better. Although if it's Clone Wars I would be PO'd.

Ideally I'd like a Rogue Squadron (X-Wing novel era) X-Wing game that was like the last Wing Commander games. That way between missions you could walk around and talk to people. That would make too much sense though. :lol

I didn't think about that, but right now flightsims aren't as widely popular. I think a SW space sim would sell better. Although if it's Clone Wars I would be PO'd.

God forbid anyone release a movie today without an accompanying video game :rolleyes

My first though, too, was the red tails flick he's working on.

Maybe they'll pull a stunner and it'll be an xwing/tie game. More likely, though, jedi fighter, clone fighter, or droid fighter though. He seems to only care about the PT these days.

That would be a clear FU to the fans since everyone has been wanting another TIE or X-Wing game. Plus that type of game is geared toward a little older fan that a kid watching the Clone Wars.

Honestly, I could do without yet another Jedi game. I'd prefer an FPS told from the perspective of ground troops.

Or if they could give me my ultimate game, where you play a smuggler in an open-world environment like the old Privateer game (only more developed), plus the ability to walk around in an FPS environment.

Of course, I might as well also ask for world peace for Christmas while I'm at it...

They also licensed a long term license from unreal engine :eek:
LucasArts licenses Unreal Engine 3 for long-term, multi-project use | Joystiq

I truly hope they make a new jedi knight game!!! I want Kyle Katarn back!!!

To me that says Republic Commando because it's the only LA game that has used the Unreal engine before. I'd like that or a Jedi Knight game though. Battlefront 3 would be cool, but only if they did it like the Battlefield series, no more half*ssed versions like the first two games.

I'm no programmer, but I'm really surprised someone hasn't used an open source flight engine to design and build their own SW flight sim. There are hundreds of high res models out there available and gaming engines have come light years since the 90's when these were popular. I've played every one of them at least a dozen times though and still enjoy them. Believe it or not, the only one I couldn't get through was the original X-wing. Some mission taking down a bazillion corvettes with my y-wing, and even with the 'hide behind the engines' trick I never had enough time to get them all and thus never got beyond that.

I'm thinking this looks cool. It's got some elements of flight sim but also on a big scale too.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fwtow/videos/freeworlds-tides-of-war-capital-ships#imagebox

Last edited:
I think there are enough people out in the world who would like a real FS in the style of Freespace, XW, TF, WC or other great games. The problem is that most studios think they can earn money easier with a uncomplicated and shortwhile console game and a halfhearted implemention for PC's.

So it's left to fans to recreate something of the old era for other fans and themselves. Like the one corranhornjje linked to there is also a coming game set in the Wing Commander Universe. If you are interested, it is already in the beta testing phase and it may be possible for some of you to come on board and be a part of the team:

Wing Commander Saga

Honestly, I could do without yet another Jedi game. I'd prefer an FPS told from the perspective of ground troops.

Or if they could give me my ultimate game, where you play a smuggler in an open-world environment like the old Privateer game (only more developed), plus the ability to walk around in an FPS environment.

Grand theft UNIVERSE! :love

Something like that.

Honestly, I always thought it'd be better to keep the game pretty tightly focused on smuggling/trading/merc work. I suppose they could also work in bounty hunting (since it's essentially merc work plus tracking people). But GOD I'd hope they'd make a better game than GTA4... Like, no pointless crap (IE: "How many ewoks can you shoot?", Chewie always bugging you to take him to Bantha Burgers, Leia constantly blowin' up your communicator about when your next date is, that whiny kid from Tatooine complaining that he needs to get to some Jedi convention or whatever). Also WAY better controls. And more in-depth for trading/smuggling. And NOT for frickin' consoles.

I just wish they'd port over the AWESOME Sega Star Wars Trilogy game that was put out some years back. I friggin' LOVED that game so much! Fight Darth Vader, Blow up the Death Star (1 and 2), Hoth etc... Man that game was epic! If I had a big house and made decent money I'd have that arcade sitting in my living room!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back