New guy w/ another Captain America Mask

roblenzz

***Updated***
Here is my final result, but what follows is how I got there...

Hey, just wanted to show you guys a First Avenger mask I've been working on. I was inspired by a few of you on here and undertook the project myself. I have a large head (23 1/2") around and I could not find a styrofoam head to build my base on, so I had to cast my head in plaster, fill the plaster cast with spray foam, unwrap the plaster from the foam then fiberglass from there. This is what I have so far.

DSC04522.jpg

DSC04524.jpg

DSC04523.jpg

DSC04526.jpg

DSC04528.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment, I'll keep posting updated photos until I finish. I'm very happy with it so far. I added a bit of a textured finish which I'll knock down a bit for the final coat. It is a bit dark and I would like to find a bit more of a "grayed" blue. Also I think the helmet looked like it was hardened leather type and I tried to replicate it making the seam look like folded material. Let me know what you guys think. Does anyone have a good source for a good FA helmet color?

DSC04538.jpg

DSC04540.jpg

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04544.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

So this is the unweathered cowl so far. I knocked down the texture to give it a uniform leather-like look. I gray primered under the white so I plan to wet sand the white to allow more of the gray to show through and thin out the sharpness of the white. Now to start on the leather work.

DSC04556.jpg

I think I posted this under the wrong topic. If a moderator checks this could they move it to the Replica Costumes board please? Sorry, new guy screw up...

Thanks for the comments guys. I picked up the leather for an interior skull cap and will start sewing tomorrow. I thought I would make it removable with some snaps, but my head tolerances are pretty tight and didn't want any pressure points. I ended up using Ace Hardware Textured Spray then a gray primer w/ a coat of Gloss Ace Hardware Royal Blue then covering the whole thing with a Rustoleum Satin Finish.

I've been getting a few PMs about if I'm going to sell this and even though I do appreciate the offers, I don't have a way yet to pop this out with any consistancy and as of right now my cost for my "prototype" would be unrealistic. I am trying to make patters and tools to ease the process and I'll respond to those who wrote me when I do. Thanks guys!

So here is where I am with the liner. I wanted a kind-of stand alone liner reminiscent of what I thought would be like an old WWII tanker's leather liner. Here is what I made:

DSC04562.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

If I put the liner on first it makes it easier to put the shell on. It's pretty snug on my head. And the two together:

DSC04566.jpg

I want to change the chin cup. Didn't like the way it came out and I want to find a real metal side release buckle for the chin strap. Going to add the metal "pin-head" looking things to the ear cups and we should be about there.

So, I've made some upgrades, like an aluminum side release buckle and have even done a mold and popped out some casts. Let me know what you guys think. I'm still trying to come up with a "chin cup" to better mine, but it's coming along...

DSC04601.jpg

DSC04625.jpg

Looking pretty good. Should know though that the leather was never a liner but just an edging glued around the parameter, eyes and the ear pieces.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back