New guy w/ another Captain America Mask

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by roblenzz, Jan 6, 2012.

1. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

***Updated***
    Here is my final result, but what follows is how I got there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey, just wanted to show you guys a First Avenger mask I've been working on. I was inspired by a few of you on here and undertook the project myself. I have a large head (23 1/2") around and I could not find a styrofoam head to build my base on, so I had to cast my head in plaster, fill the plaster cast with spray foam, unwrap the plaster from the foam then fiberglass from there. This is what I have so far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
    GeneralFROSTY likes this.
  2. Kevin Gossett

Kevin Gossett Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Welcome! That's a great first project, seems to be coming along nicely :thumbsup

3. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

...and here is the progress as of tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Thanks for the compliment, I'll keep posting updated photos until I finish. I'm very happy with it so far. I added a bit of a textured finish which I'll knock down a bit for the final coat. It is a bit dark and I would like to find a bit more of a "grayed" blue. Also I think the helmet looked like it was hardened leather type and I tried to replicate it making the seam look like folded material. Let me know what you guys think. Does anyone have a good source for a good FA helmet color?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

So this is the unweathered cowl so far. I knocked down the texture to give it a uniform leather-like look. I gray primered under the white so I plan to wet sand the white to allow more of the gray to show through and thin out the sharpness of the white. Now to start on the leather work.

[​IMG]

6. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

I think I posted this under the wrong topic. If a moderator checks this could they move it to the Replica Costumes board please? Sorry, new guy screw up...

7. rensole

rensole Active Member

not bad not bad at all!! :D

8. BlindSquirrel

BlindSquirrel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Nice! Love the texture!

9. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I picked up the leather for an interior skull cap and will start sewing tomorrow. I thought I would make it removable with some snaps, but my head tolerances are pretty tight and didn't want any pressure points. I ended up using Ace Hardware Textured Spray then a gray primer w/ a coat of Gloss Ace Hardware Royal Blue then covering the whole thing with a Rustoleum Satin Finish.

10. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Here are a couple of shots of the sewing progess... Coming out nicely!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

I've been getting a few PMs about if I'm going to sell this and even though I do appreciate the offers, I don't have a way yet to pop this out with any consistancy and as of right now my cost for my "prototype" would be unrealistic. I am trying to make patters and tools to ease the process and I'll respond to those who wrote me when I do. Thanks guys!

12. third3ye

third3ye Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Texture on the shell looks amazing, my favorite part.

13. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

So here is where I am with the liner. I wanted a kind-of stand alone liner reminiscent of what I thought would be like an old WWII tanker's leather liner. Here is what I made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I put the liner on first it makes it easier to put the shell on. It's pretty snug on my head. And the two together:

[​IMG]

I want to change the chin cup. Didn't like the way it came out and I want to find a real metal side release buckle for the chin strap. Going to add the metal "pin-head" looking things to the ear cups and we should be about there.

14. bativac

bativac New Member

This thing looks fantastic. Definitely the best of the many Cap helmet replicas I've seen! Nice job!!

15. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Thanks for the comment bativac!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  16. HeroWorship

HeroWorship Well-Known Member

Awesome progress on this! Especially like the leather helmet liner. Great stuff!

17. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

So, I've made some upgrades, like an aluminum side release buckle and have even done a mold and popped out some casts. Let me know what you guys think. I'm still trying to come up with a "chin cup" to better mine, but it's coming along...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. GBrittelleJr

GBrittelleJr Well-Known Member

These are coming out beautifully. I'd love to get my hands on one with the leather liner!

19. ecl

ecl Sr Member

That's really excellent work! Finely crafted

20. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looking pretty good. Should know though that the leather was never a liner but just an edging glued around the parameter, eyes and the ear pieces.

21. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Thanks GBrittelle, ecl and Finhead,

Just glueing the leather on would have saved me a lot of work. I've never seen the original and was just trying to think if I were to wear it, a bit of pad, fabric or anything would be better between my head and the helmet. I was just trying to come up with something better that a couple of self adhesive foam pads. I think the liner really finishes it off inside and out.

Sincerely thanks a lot guys

22. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Very good... very good indeed!(y)thumbsup

You are one clever guy... that's what its all about "being creative"...

I salute you :)

cheers!

23. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Thanks pRoJectEarth7,
    That comment means a lot. Your Arc Reactors are a thing of beauty, what a display of sheer craftsmanship.

24. superDrool

superDrool Sr Member

OMG! O_O Great job on the helmet build rob!! Everything looks amazing. I love your leather craftsmanship mostly as it hits home and is my trade and hobby, and I approve 100%
    I will agree on lining the helmet all the way around the eyes and nose is SA, but what you've done thusfar blows my mind as it accuately looks compatiable with a WWII type technology with the design and stitching. Anything with metal parts is top notch in my book. I didn't even know solid aluminum clips were available in that style. Good find on that too.
    If you ever decide tho do commision work on these let me know, as I'll be first in line to sign up. ;)

-Tony

25. fettster

fettster Sr Member

Very nicely done!

26. Survivalist

Survivalist Member

Wow! This is looking Awesome!!

27. MagicRobot

MagicRobot Member

I loved the Cap movie, and after looking at what you're making, i find I must go watch it again. Nicely done!

28. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy cow dude! Amazing work! I love it! Rep points coming your way!

roblenzz likes this.
  29. joshimus

joshimus Active Member

WOW!!
    This is by far the best Cap helmet I have ever seen. Im a big fan of TFA over the avengers style helmet and you have nailed it!!!
    The leather cap its unbelievable and really does give that WWII feel about the whole thing.

Pleasssssssse do a run of these for sale..pleassssssssssse!

Great work.

roblenzz likes this.
  30. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

All of the positive comments are great. It is nice to have folks respond so well to a project that I have put so much effort into. I have really been welcomed on this site and have seen a trend of very nice comments coupled with some PMs that contained well thought out constructive criticism.

I reference to doing a run of these... I am very close. I have developed consistant pattern that has given good results. I'd like to get the few completed and out the door to a few folks that have shown a serious interest and get their feedback. Thanks again :)

31. 4505marcel

4505marcel Active Member

Mate that is awesome, top job

32. nlschutd

nlschutd Well-Known Member

Great helmet!

33. JKKS

JKKS Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll be in if you'll ever decide to start a run.
    This is the best replica of the CATFA helmet I've ever seen and the leather cap is indeed a really nice touch.

34. Crusaderman2004

Crusaderman2004 Active Member

I'd definitely be interested in one of these bad boys as well. Let us know if you are doing a run! It looks fantastic, really love the leather liner too.

35. thundrkiss

thundrkiss Active Member

love the liner, if you do a run I'm in...

36. GFord

GFord New Member

Hi there,
    this is something new! really great job,i like to have one to! how much will cost this helmet?
    Thnx,
    Ford

37. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Okay, so I think I figured out what was off on my helmet. I took my shell and reworked the brow. I had too much I think and maybe this is a bit better. Let me know what you think. I don't like the "A" and I will redo that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think I found a nice chin cup and it is coming through the mail.

38. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Looking very nice, great job on this.
    Can you share your source for the full metal buckle? I can find quit a few but most are too square looking.

39. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

40. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Thank you very much. :)

41. phantomdetectiv

phantomdetectiv Member

I would love a liner.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  42. phantomdetectiv

phantomdetectiv Member

Pm'd you back.

43. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Okay, so my first edition was a bit off and I've got the new design all blocked out. Changed the cheek bone guards and made them rounded and smoothed out, more movie accurate IMO. Will probably start the molding process tomorrow. Finished product will not be shiny, this is just the finish of the color I chose. Will finish it off with a satin clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  44. joshimus

joshimus Active Member

WOW Rob, This was already great but now its AWESOME!!!!!!

I havent seen a helmet or leather skull cap that comes close to yours. Cant wait to see a finished completed new model.

Great work!

45. roblenzz

roblenzz Active Member

Thanks joshimus,
    Here is what it looks like at close of business tonight. I'm pretty happy with it. Got the "A" and wings on and the placement and size looks good enough to me.

[​IMG]

46. drakeprimeone

drakeprimeone Well-Known Member

Very awesome, I would definitely be interested in buying one!

47. rockeagle2001

rockeagle2001 Well-Known Member

how much would it be?

48. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Hey Rob... you know I'm a fan of your work... and you've done an excellent job on the revision of the helm...(y)thumbsup congrats!

If I'll be nitpicky, I noticed from your photo reference that the 2 top lines of the helm are thinner and the lines on the top of ears seems like pointy... well it could be just my eyes...:lol... If you find it irrelevant/unnecessary then please nevermind what I said...:)

Nevertheless, you my friend have done exceptionally well.

Keep it up (y)thumbsup

cheers!

49. nlschutd

looking good! the A and wings already look better !

50. nlschutd

the A in this picture seems smaller or is it just the angle of your photo?

[​IMG]