New green coat for Doctor Who Series 7?

HaroldVonBraun

So, the series 7 trailer has now been uploaded in HD, and towards the end, i spotted something interesting.
Indspilningifuldskrm26-03-2012173217bmp.jpg

A new-new greener-green coat! Not sure wether this is just a temporary get-up to try and suit in with the western setting, or if he's gonna stick with it, maybe it's a new version of the old green coat, this certainly isn't the same though, as it seems to be a sort of velvet and waxed cotton mix(velvet body, waxed cotton cuffs and lapels. The cuffs are also of a different design, and has buttons. From what i can make out it's still double-breasted though. And on another note, that bow-tie also seems to be a single-ended(Butterfly Batwing Single-End - Single Ended Bow Tie
) grey design? It could also just be the lighting.

Any thoughts on the coat and bow-tie

EDIT: Sorry about the big picture :/

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Although i think showing pictures of it would be a waste of space, i have also noticed that often in the trailer, he wears the burgundy suspenders with the blue bow-ties, i just though i'd point it out (;

THE EDITS COMMENCE: I added a slightly better picture

THIS HAS TO STOP: Going frame by frame on the trailer, i saw that he wasn't even wearing any suspenders on the clip with him wearing the coat! Blasphemy!

OH GOD HOW CAN THIS GO ON: To me the blue shirt also seems "bluer" than before, but it might just be the lighting and color correction. Also, he seems to be wearing the old stetson (with bullet hole though, thanks River) a new hat-band and it's been worn down a bit. He's also carrying a gunholster for a bit of the video, just pointing it out.

Last edited:
When I watched the trailer earlier I thought the green coat looks a little odd but put it down to desert dust and sunshine. Oh dear the costume completists won't be impressed with a new coat. :confused On the other hand costume makers will be well pleased. :lol

Indeed, although, considering it's the only time in the trailer i see the coat. It might just be some sort of disguise (if it is, that is a TERRIBLE disguise) or something he's wearing temporarily. But that bow-tie also looks quite curious to me. It could be the denim bow-tie VERY dusty, as that also sometimes looks like it could be single-ended, but not sure yet.

Judging actual colours from episode footage [or even publicity photo shoots] always seems pretty unreliable because not only do they set up specific lighting for filming they then also alter the image again in post production. We may not know the real colours of any of Smith's shirts or ties! :eek

The new green coat may be a new lightweight version to stop Matt from passing out in the desert? I don't know what the old green one is really like but it LOOKS very warm anyway.

It's kinda cool, harks back to the McGann coat. Also maybe to the aborted "pirate" look Matt Smith was originally going to have. Could be something he just wears for the wild west episode, although i thought that about the stetson in S6, and he kept on wearing it. Like this coat a lot.

So, the series 7 trailer has now been uploaded in HD, and towards the end, i spotted something interesting.

A new-new greener-green coat! Not sure wether this is just a temporary get-up to try and suit in with the western setting, or if he's gonna stick with it, maybe it's a new version of the old green coat, this certainly isn't the same though, as it seems to be a sort of velvet and waxed cotton mix(velvet body, waxed cotton cuffs and lapels. The cuffs are also of a different design, and has buttons. From what i can make out it's still double-breasted though. And on another note, that bow-tie also seems to be a single-ended(Butterfly Batwing Single-End - Single Ended Bow Tie

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Although i think showing pictures of it would be a waste of space, i have also noticed that often in the trailer, he wears the burgundy suspenders with the blue bow-ties, i just though i'd point it out (;

THIS HAS TO STOP: Going frame by frame on the trailer, i saw that he wasn't even wearing any suspenders on the clip with him wearing the coat! Blasphemy!

OH GOD HOW CAN THIS GO ON: To me the blue shirt also seems "bluer" than before, but it might just be the lighting and color correction. Also, he seems to be wearing the old stetson (with bullet hole though, thanks River) a new hat-band and it's been worn down a bit. He's also carrying a gunholster for a bit of the video, just pointing it out.
I really hope this isn't a new coat...

Fun fact - that mossy green color is how McGann's coat looks in person.

This looks like a fun variant - can't wait to see more pics!

What?! When the Stetson got shot at the end of S6, it was the stetson as projected by that humanoid machine operated by smaller people. So, the Doctor's actual stetson should not have a bullet hole in it. Continuity error, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive that I'm right.

What?! When the Stetson got shot at the end of S6, it was the stetson as projected by that humanoid machine operated by smaller people. So, the Doctor's actual stetson should not have a bullet hole in it. Continuity error, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive that I'm right.

Ha ha on the surface that does seem right but there is an explanation for anyone who wants to make a Doctor costume with a marshal badge and a punctured Stetson and not feel like a continuity error. :lol

In Let's Kill Hitler the tiny crew comment on not needing anything detachable when they change the form of the ship. Detachable bits are a hassle. [Like when they change into the Nazi officer they use his real glasses.] The Doctor knowing River as well as he does guesses she will probably shoot a big hat off the moment she sees it and a bullet hitting the Teselecta would be bad news, this is seen in Let's Kill Hitler as well.

Knowing these two things the Doctor turns up to the meeting inside the Teselecta with his real Stetson on top of it. River shoots it off without damaging the ship and the Doctor saves the hat [we don't see this happen but the Doctor saves planets with ease so saving a hat would be no problem. It is of sentimental value so the Doctor is not above bending some laws of time to keep it. :lol]

Occam's Razor. Moffat didn't think things through all the way and just thought "Wouldn't it be funny and cool if the hat had the bullet hole in it?"

Occam's Razor. Moffat didn't think things through all the way and just thought "Wouldn't it be funny and cool if the hat had the bullet hole in it?"
Ha yes the real world reason is that like anything in a TV show someone chose to put it there. Its not a continuity error its a continuity decision. :lol
The Doctor Who fans who like things to make sense in the fiction can relax because it does make sense using established facts [fictional facts that is.] :lol

Also I just noticed that what looks like the original unbuttoned cuffs of the old green coat seem to be peeking out under the new cuffs, actually looks like somebody just slid the new cuffs over them. I can't imagine the lapels are done like that, but it's a thought.

I don't think it's the same coat though, first off the technique wouldn't work on the lapels, since the last one had some biiiig lapels, and they propably wouldn't fit under those, and also. This coat seems more like a sort of Velvet that the moleskin/suede of the old coat.

Wait - there's a possible continuity problem based on the guess that the bullet hole is the same one from a previous episode despite the hats being completely different?

STOP RUINING WHO MOFFAT!

Wait - there's a possible continuity problem based on the guess that the bullet hole is the same one from a previous episode despite the hats being completely different?
What, not even the same hat? I had to think of how the hat paradox all worked out for nothing? Grrrr :darnkids

Actually I like trying to figure out what the hell is going on in Doctor Who. :lol

Ha ha on the surface that does seem right but there is an explanation for anyone who wants to make a Doctor costume with a marshal badge and a punctured Stetson and not feel like a continuity error. :lol

In Let's Kill Hitler the tiny crew comment on not needing anything detachable when they change the form of the ship. Detachable bits are a hassle. [Like when they change into the Nazi officer they use his real glasses.] The Doctor knowing River as well as he does guesses she will probably shoot a big hat off the moment she sees it and a bullet hitting the Teselecta would be bad news, this is seen in Let's Kill Hitler as well.

Knowing these two things the Doctor turns up to the meeting inside the Teselecta with his real Stetson on top of it. River shoots it off without damaging the ship and the Doctor saves the hat [we don't see this happen but the Doctor saves planets with ease so saving a hat would be no problem. It is of sentimental value so the Doctor is not above bending some laws of time to keep it. :lol]
Just pointing this out, the stetson in the last bit of Wedding in River Song when they zoom in on the Doctor inside the Tesselecta he has the stetson minus the bullet hole and it's after the time when River shoots the hat off his head :lol

Last edited:
What, not even the same hat? I had to think of how the hat paradox all worked out for nothing? Grrrr :darnkids

Actually I like trying to figure out what the hell is going on in Doctor Who. :lol

I has a confused. I bet though that during some footage during that episode something happens to give a logical explanation. Maybe sometime when Amy is waving around her gun it goes off and shoots his hat, something else.

My point is though that maybe it has yet to be explained b/c we haven't seen the episode. :)

Just pointing this out, the stetson in the last bit of Wedding in River Song when they zoom in on the Doctor inside the Tesselecta he has the stetson minus the bullet hole and it's after the time when River shoots the hat off his head :lol

River shoots the hat off of the Tesselecta!Doctor not the real!Doctor. The real!Doctor is safe and sound inside the Tesselecta!Doctor and so is his Stetson.

BUT!

The western hat worn in the western episode is a totally different one from Season 6 and he most likely picks it up in the western town they are in. It is weathered, has a much smaller brim and is turned up at the back. Also, those aren't bullet holes on the sides, those are vents which are quite common to the style of hat he is wearing which is akin to something like this:
American Buffalo - Leather Cowboy Hat | Hatcountry

I haven't been able to find the exact one yet. It is going to be way more difficult to find as it may have been picked up specifically in Spain.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back