New green coat for Doctor Who Series 7?

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by HaroldVonBraun, Mar 26, 2012.

1. HaroldVonBraun

HaroldVonBraun Well-Known Member

So, the series 7 trailer has now been uploaded in HD, and towards the end, i spotted something interesting.
    [​IMG]
    A new-new greener-green coat! Not sure wether this is just a temporary get-up to try and suit in with the western setting, or if he's gonna stick with it, maybe it's a new version of the old green coat, this certainly isn't the same though, as it seems to be a sort of velvet and waxed cotton mix(velvet body, waxed cotton cuffs and lapels. The cuffs are also of a different design, and has buttons. From what i can make out it's still double-breasted though. And on another note, that bow-tie also seems to be a single-ended(Butterfly Batwing Single-End - Single Ended Bow Tie
    ) grey design? It could also just be the lighting.

Any thoughts on the coat and bow-tie

EDIT: Sorry about the big picture :/

YET ANOTHER EDIT: Although i think showing pictures of it would be a waste of space, i have also noticed that often in the trailer, he wears the burgundy suspenders with the blue bow-ties, i just though i'd point it out (;

THE EDITS COMMENCE: I added a slightly better picture

THIS HAS TO STOP: Going frame by frame on the trailer, i saw that he wasn't even wearing any suspenders on the clip with him wearing the coat! Blasphemy!

OH GOD HOW CAN THIS GO ON: To me the blue shirt also seems "bluer" than before, but it might just be the lighting and color correction. Also, he seems to be wearing the old stetson (with bullet hole though, thanks River) a new hat-band and it's been worn down a bit. He's also carrying a gunholster for a bit of the video, just pointing it out.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

When I watched the trailer earlier I thought the green coat looks a little odd but put it down to desert dust and sunshine. Oh dear the costume completists won't be impressed with a new coat. :confused On the other hand costume makers will be well pleased. :lol

3. HaroldVonBraun

Indeed, although, considering it's the only time in the trailer i see the coat. It might just be some sort of disguise (if it is, that is a TERRIBLE disguise) or something he's wearing temporarily. But that bow-tie also looks quite curious to me. It could be the denim bow-tie VERY dusty, as that also sometimes looks like it could be single-ended, but not sure yet.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Judging actual colours from episode footage [or even publicity photo shoots] always seems pretty unreliable because not only do they set up specific lighting for filming they then also alter the image again in post production. We may not know the real colours of any of Smith's shirts or ties! :eek

The new green coat may be a new lightweight version to stop Matt from passing out in the desert? I don't know what the old green one is really like but it LOOKS very warm anyway.

5. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

It's kinda cool, harks back to the McGann coat. Also maybe to the aborted "pirate" look Matt Smith was originally going to have. Could be something he just wears for the wild west episode, although i thought that about the stetson in S6, and he kept on wearing it. Like this coat a lot.

6. TARDISgamer99

TARDISgamer99 Member

I really hope this isn't a new coat...

7. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

Fun fact - that mossy green color is how McGann's coat looks in person.

This looks like a fun variant - can't wait to see more pics!

8. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

What?! When the Stetson got shot at the end of S6, it was the stetson as projected by that humanoid machine operated by smaller people. So, the Doctor's actual stetson should not have a bullet hole in it. Continuity error, lol. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm positive that I'm right.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ha ha on the surface that does seem right but there is an explanation for anyone who wants to make a Doctor costume with a marshal badge and a punctured Stetson and not feel like a continuity error. :lol

In Let's Kill Hitler the tiny crew comment on not needing anything detachable when they change the form of the ship. Detachable bits are a hassle. [Like when they change into the * officer they use his real glasses.] The Doctor knowing River as well as he does guesses she will probably shoot a big hat off the moment she sees it and a bullet hitting the Teselecta would be bad news, this is seen in Let's Kill Hitler as well.

Knowing these two things the Doctor turns up to the meeting inside the Teselecta with his real Stetson on top of it. River shoots it off without damaging the ship and the Doctor saves the hat [we don't see this happen but the Doctor saves planets with ease so saving a hat would be no problem. It is of sentimental value so the Doctor is not above bending some laws of time to keep it. :lol]

10. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Occam's Razor. Moffat didn't think things through all the way and just thought "Wouldn't it be funny and cool if the hat had the bullet hole in it?"

11. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Ha yes the real world reason is that like anything in a TV show someone chose to put it there. Its not a continuity error its a continuity decision. :lol
    The Doctor Who fans who like things to make sense in the fiction can relax because it does make sense using established facts [fictional facts that is.] :lol

12. Risu

Risu Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Also I just noticed that what looks like the original unbuttoned cuffs of the old green coat seem to be peeking out under the new cuffs, actually looks like somebody just slid the new cuffs over them. I can't imagine the lapels are done like that, but it's a thought.

13. HaroldVonBraun

I don't think it's the same coat though, first off the technique wouldn't work on the lapels, since the last one had some biiiig lapels, and they propably wouldn't fit under those, and also. This coat seems more like a sort of Velvet that the moleskin/suede of the old coat.

14. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

Wait - there's a possible continuity problem based on the guess that the bullet hole is the same one from a previous episode despite the hats being completely different?

STOP RUINING WHO MOFFAT!

15. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

What, not even the same hat? I had to think of how the hat paradox all worked out for nothing? Grrrr :darnkids

Actually I like trying to figure out what the hell is going on in Doctor Who. :lol

16. HaroldVonBraun

This thread should be renamed "Moffats humongeuos hat paradox, new coat and possibly bow-tie included"

17. TARDISgamer99

TARDISgamer99 Member

Just pointing this out, the stetson in the last bit of Wedding in River Song when they zoom in on the Doctor inside the Tesselecta he has the stetson minus the bullet hole and it's after the time when River shoots the hat off his head :lol

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  18. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

I has a confused. I bet though that during some footage during that episode something happens to give a logical explanation. Maybe sometime when Amy is waving around her gun it goes off and shoots his hat, something else.

My point is though that maybe it has yet to be explained b/c we haven't seen the episode. :)

19. HaroldVonBraun

Maybe River might make another appearance, shoot off another Stetson, and they'll pull out some joke about her always shooting off hats :D

20. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

River shoots the hat off of the Tesselecta!Doctor not the real!Doctor. The real!Doctor is safe and sound inside the Tesselecta!Doctor and so is his Stetson.

BUT!

The western hat worn in the western episode is a totally different one from Season 6 and he most likely picks it up in the western town they are in. It is weathered, has a much smaller brim and is turned up at the back. Also, those aren't bullet holes on the sides, those are vents which are quite common to the style of hat he is wearing which is akin to something like this:
    American Buffalo - Leather Cowboy Hat | Hatcountry

I haven't been able to find the exact one yet. It is going to be way more difficult to find as it may have been picked up specifically in Spain.

21. HaroldVonBraun

OH, they're vents! That puts a WHOLE other perspective on things now, hmmm, i wouldn't be surprised then, considering how everything he wears is custom nowadars, that the hat might be custom aswell. Or maybe picked up from some small local hat-maker somewhere.

22. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

At least I think they are vents. Unless he takes the hat off of someone and it is a bullet hole. It's possible. Still it's a completely different hat, much more fitting the time period and location. The Stetson from Series 6 is a modern hat.

I never thought I'd know so much about cowboy hats. This will come in handy never.

23. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

With the way Amy's swinging around the gun in that trailer, the hat could well be hit by an stray bullet... But again, this is all complete supposition.

Modernboy, just wait until you are in a life-or-death situation based on your knowledge of stetsons!

24. thorneyboy

thorneyboy Well-Known Member

Here is the hat for your discussions to continue.

25. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

I think you're right man. That hole does look very clean, whereas a bullet hole would not (most likely) be a smooth perfect hole. I bet he does pick it up, cause in the trailer he says that one line about his Christmas list, and it looks like he has just arrived. I could be wrong, but maybe he does pick it up. Or it gets shot. Whichever, :)

26. TARDISgamer99

TARDISgamer99 Member

And he's a sheriff now! Look at the badge on his jacket! :)

27. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

It actually says Marshall! /pedant

28. TARDISgamer99

TARDISgamer99 Member

By the way amys swinging around the gun I would be pretty surprised if she managed not to shoot anyone considering how many people are crowded around them..

29. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

Definitely. She would have to be very lucky. Well, it is a TV show, and it is Doctor who. Not the most realistic, :lol

30. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

Looking at the picture, and rewatching the trailer, I'm not entirely convinced the coat is green. To my eye, it looks like a black, Victorian style frock coat that is liberally covered in dust.

The tie also appears to be of the period. And unless I'm mistaken, the shirt has a period appropriate stand-up collar.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  31. HaroldVonBraun

Hmmm, i think the shirt is the same striped shirt from Series 6.

32. Dave Ward

Dave Ward Sr Member

The Doctor getting his hat shot off could well be a running joke in the series. Which is awesome. I'm seriously considering putting a fake bullet hole in my Hutchins stetson. Or I could wear it in some of the less upmarket areas of Baltimore, and I'm sure someone would do it for me.

33. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

Definitely green. It really does look exactly the same color and fabric as the McGann frock which as many of us are aware changes color from one extreme to the other based on lighting.

Also that is the same striped shirt from series 6 and I think the same tie but on that I am not certain.

34. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

I may well be wrong about the shirt, but I disagree about the colour of the coat. I still think it's black and covered in dust. Guess we won't know for sure until we get more pictures or the episode airs.

35. TARDISgamer99

TARDISgamer99 Member

"Not the most realistic"- Blue police box that travels through time and space with an alien called the Doctor who goes around saving all of time and space :lol

36. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

Agreed on the coat. It's literally shades of McGann all over again!

37. Zeppo

Zeppo Sr Member

Except that given the time period, it's most likely a single action revolver. So unless the hammer is cocked back, she could swing it around all day long, and it wouldn't ever discharge.

38. modernboy

modernboy Active Member

Except for in the trailer where she is waving it around and it goes off or no apparent reason...there's no place for logic here.

39. Angelus Lupus

Angelus Lupus Sr Member

Given the Doctor also mentions anachronistic electricity in the trailer it's possible the gun is an anachronism, too. (There's also a guy with a gun for an arm, so it might not even be the real Old West; but that' just a theory)
    See, the old "aliens did it" argument beats logic every time :lol

40. TARDISgamer99

TARDISgamer99 Member

Anyone else notice that it appears Amy and the Doctor are the only ones holding guns in that crowd though? At least that i could see..

41. Creator8979

Creator8979 Member

Seems legit, :lol

42. HaroldVonBraun

Is it just me or is that a new set of suspenders?
    [​IMG]
    And the Series 6 suspenders.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: My oh my Mr. Smith., you forgot to roll up your jeans, Then again, it's better than Karen, she didn't even put on any socks!
    [​IMG]

Editty Weddity: (Ew, that doesn't work on everything does it)
    The suspenders could be something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Burgundy-Leather-Suspenders-Elastic-Y-Back/dp/B000P0DXJ0 but with the leather strap for buttons removed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  43. E-Wan

E-Wan Sr Member

44. HaroldVonBraun

Hmmm, seems pretty accurate, although (just for the sake of nit-picking) the clips on the doctors suspenders seem slightly "chubbier" and the top part of the leather thingy holding the clip is slightly wider at the top on the doctors suspenders, whereas the ones you found have the same size on the rounded leather thing folded over. Very confusing i know, i'll try posting some pictures to prove my point

EDIT: nevermind, there actually seem to be large varation between the models, and my point is false. I think you mailed the correct supplier!