New Goonies Doubloon!!! Finally Finished!!! Last post!!!

RelicMaker

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,
I'm just posting up a long awaited project I've been working on.
After a long time getting the templates made up for the laser engravings and then another while getting the sculpt just right.

I've finally finished it!!!

This doubloon is based off of the doubloon from the attic scene and a few other scenes in the movie, which are posted.
I just talked to my metal caster, and even though he doesn't cast projects this small, decided to try and take it on.
It will be about a month before he gets to casting these, which is the only downside.
These will be cast in bronze, darkened to the gold color, and then a real patina added with chemicals to match the pics below the sculpt.

Enjoy!

DoubloonFrontsm.jpg

DoubloonBacksm.jpg

Doubloon1.jpg

goonies_194.jpg

tom_020.jpg

Last edited:
Re: New Goonies Doubloon!!! Coming Soon!!!

Looking great relimaker can't wait to see the finished product

Awesome looking "generic kid´s adventure movie like" doubloon !

Just make sure that you don´t get entangled with a certain license holder ;)

Michael

Just heard back from the foundry today, and was given the OK to come look at a few casts that he did for me to approve before doing a batch of casts. If they look great, then it's a go on a run of these.
I'll be going tomorrow, and will be able to bring home the three that he cast. As soon as I polish one up and age it to look like the original prop pic, I'll post it up.

~Brenton

-------------

I'd say it turned out pretty good! What do you guys think?
I'm still working things out with the foundry, since the casts that they did had a few minor flaws.

DoubloonFront2sm.jpg

DoubloonBack2sm.jpg

~Brenton

I'd say it turned out pretty good! What do you guys think?
I'm still working things out with the foundry, since the casts that they did had a few minor flaws.

DoubloonFront2sm.jpg

DoubloonBack2sm.jpg

~Brenton

Looking great. Can't wait on this one!!!

How on earth did I miss this post???

Looks great (as usual) Brenton!

:thumbsup

Bruce

The bronze isn't as gold as I wanted it to be, so I'm in the process of finding another foundry who will cast this in brass for me. If I don't find one, then I'll either keep casting these in bronze and have them brass plated, or a cheaper metal and brass plated. Either way, these are getting done real soon!:)

Great news!
I found a metal caster that will cast these in brass, so these will be exactly like the original prop, which was brass as well!

I'll be sending them another reworked coin with better detail and weathering for them to do another mold off of, and then this doubloon will be on it's way and into your collection!:love

Best,
Brenton

Update:

The previous foundry turned out to be flaky, and I couldn't find a local foundry to cast the doubloon for me in brass,
sad.gif

but I did find a jeweler that would! :)

The doubloons will be higher quality uniform castings than what you would get from a foundry.
The foundry I had the bronze ones cast at had some detail issues, such as bubbles cast into the doubloon. This was mainly because they weren't touching up the waxes before they cast them.

As of right now, the doubloons are going to cost around $60 - $85, which will include (domestic) shipping.
I'll post tomorrow with final prices, including shipping prices to Canada and International.

It will be about a week or two for me to get them back, and then a few more days for me to age them with a real patina, to match the original prop.

Oh, BTW, I may be offering them in solid silver as well, but I'll talk more about that tomorrow when I get back from the jeweler.:)

~Brenton

Last edited:
First of all, the quality looks fantastic! You really nailed the finish shown in the fan mag.

The faces of the coin look quite deep. Is that the lighting, or are they deeper than the original prop? Also, I'm curious why you went with the smaller opening of the right hole (lighthouse hole) of the fan mag prop as opposed to the larger "screen-seen" version.

I think that any possible recasts will stand our like a sore thumb due to one particular detail in the text that I don't want to mention for fear of tipping off any would-be recaster. My doubloon has already been recast by some shmuck on eBay (not to mention Mezco... ;) ) I hope that this high-quality replica isn't insulted by a recast.

My hat's off to you, this is some great looking work!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

First of all, the quality looks fantastic! You really nailed the finish shown in the fan mag.

The faces of the coin look quite deep. Is that the lighting, or are they deeper than the original prop? Also, I'm curious why you went with the smaller opening of the right hole (lighthouse hole) of the fan mag prop as opposed to the larger "screen-seen" version.

I think that any possible recasts will stand our like a sore thumb due to one particular detail in the text that I don't want to mention for fear of tipping off any would-be recaster. My doubloon has already been recast by some shmuck on eBay (not to mention Mezco... ;) ) I hope that this high-quality replica isn't insulted by a recast.

My hat's off to you, this is some great looking work!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Hey Indy,
Thanks for the compliments!:)
First off, I went with the smaller hole, because this version had not been replicated yet, since you did the other version. Plus, this version matches the doubloon drawing on the map better, hince the hole. This version is also seen more on screen than the tarnished silver one, which is only seen when he's lining up the lighthouse. This version is seen in the scenes that I provided above in the first post.

Thanks,
Brenton

So how are these coming along? I assume that the jeweler is doing them as lost wax castings, which will give a great detail. If you are anywhere near the Houston area I can show you how to do your own casting.

Sorry to hear about the foundry troubles but it sounds like it may be a blessing in disguise.

I am anxiously awaiting details on both bronze and silver versions! :love

Bruce

Well, the jeweler lead fell through!
He ended up doubling the amount to cast the damn piece from what he previously quoted.:angry
I thanked him loudly for wasting my time!
I still have a few leads though...
I'll keep you guys updated, and this will get done and be available for purchase.

~Brenton

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back