New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

I agree. Something about it feels real, in a way that the Christian and Kurtz sabers never did.

Hard to say why. Maybe because it's in such terrible condition and there's details like the double rivets that are so far off of "known" "truth" about the prop that it's hard to imagine somebody faking it. Like, if it were inauthentic you'd expect the forger to put more care into matching the details we expect.

Exciting times here.

The pictures of him as little boy playing on all the broken and abandon props

His dad being the manager.. him not trying to sell this lightsaber but just sharing this story of it..

This is screaming real to me...

Your absolutely right! Nothing under the strip

Heck it could be 40 year old mud!

IMG_8361.jpg

Last edited:
That second highlight looks more to me like an optical illusion created by the both the d-ring and the edge of the bottom tube reflecting light, with empty space in-between them.

And I was under the impression that Roy’s CAD perspective matching pretty definitively confirmed the centered d-ring. There’s also the leading theory of the Graflex case (or similar) d-ring bracket, which would have had a single, central rivet hole, rather than two.

Not to say that this isn’t a production-made piece, but we shouldn’t immediately start scrapping our bottom halves and trying to replicate this new variant. It may well just be that—a variant. There’s some indication that a few heroes were made and used for the production. Maybe the one seen in the publicity photos (and some scenes) used a Graflex case’s d-ring/bracket, and this other variant used a quick-and-dirty handmade bracket with two rivets.

The early Folmer-style button also raises questions. As does the fact that this was simply tossed away as trash, rather than being taken home by a member of the production or returned to Bapty’s. Perhaps this was one of the several Graflexes which Christian found, but served as a prototype, which was then discarded after the actual hero prop(s) was constructed.

This is why I’m curious about the lower tube have glue residue on it.. did this thing once have grips on it

It has a bubble strip, I wouldn’t put it past it being a completed flash.. has it seen screen time? Who knows, hopefully the new photos will shed some light

We have heard by someone, I believe it was roger.. who said all the d rings randomly came out of the tool box of his friends shop he built the graflex in

This thing still came out of the scrap pile with all the other pieces, this has more lineage to the film then what Kurtz or Christian has ever proven

As for everyone in fear of the missing bunny ears and crunched S curve, who’s to say it didn’t get them damage in the junk pile it was thrown in

I live a very small and quiet life... when stuff like this happens.. I won’t sleep at all tonight...

Question is—does the onscreen “lever-out” prop have a thin-knurled button and an off-center d-ring? Because, at the very least, there seems to be both “lever-in” and “lever-out” versions of the prop seen onscreen. One prop tweaked between scenes, or two different heroes?

I still think the lever can close more then what is seen in this photo.. looks like there’s enough room for it to close alittle more

IMG_8362.jpg

Question then is how trimmed the bubble strip is, since it obviously isn’t sliding out with the lever that far open. Maybe it was glued in?

We should get Seth and Roy both in on this. Maybe Roy could do some CAD research using these new images and see how it lines up.

That thin-strip knurled button really makes me doubt that this was a screenused piece, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t production made.

And, not to cast accusations, but there’s still the possibility that it’s a fake. I mean, if Kurtz—THE PRODUCER OF THE MOVIE—could sell fakes (to say nothing of a Christian, who supposedly built the actual screenused props), then that means anyone able to do a little research could, too. Especially if you have a very believable story as to how it came into your possession. Just pull out some old photos, find a rusty Graflex, stick a bubble-strip in, attach a d-ring, and bingo. That doesn’t seem to be the case, here, but you never do know.

That thin-strip knurled button really makes me doubt that this was a screenused piece, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t production made.

We know they used the thin knurl on the stunt saber, though, so they definitely had some lying around, and for sure put one on screen – albeit not as part of the hero (that we know of). I'm not as doubtful.

Yeah, the thin-knurl was on the FX stunt, but I don’t believe there’s ever been evidence that an onscreen hero used one.

As for the off-center ring, here are some more photos to examine. It’s hard to tell, but I tend to still lean toward a centered ring, at least on this particular prop as seen in publicity photos.

F6B29FF4-DE5F-4CF9-A032-620DE3258FC3.jpeg BA913E6E-1B26-41C0-AA43-DA9F585C73D1.jpeg

Could be a second or third belt hanger, I remember hearing there were a few. Granted, it's hard to tell which is which.

Can anyone match up the glue residue with the 7-grip pattern?

...fiddling around with my own prop replica (a TGS with Roy’s d-ring and grips) and holding it up to try and match angles seen in various publicity and on-set photos, I still think that the d-ring is centered, at least on the toe pic prop.

Could be a second or third belt hanger, I remember hearing there were a few. Granted, it's hard to tell which is which.

Can anyone match up the glue residue with the 7-grip pattern?

Let’s also remember that the initial filming took place on location. A second-tier belt-hanger could have been used in all those outdoor scenes, especially since the prop was not featured in action during any of them.

Flash-forward to Elstree and the Ben’s cave set, and more care may have been paid to a hero prop which was the central focus of the scene being shot, and might even have potentially been needed for closeups.

I AM SHOOK

... and yes, any movie production will have multiple hero props. Given the changes in the lever and clamp position changing it is certainly possible there was more than one.

But this sure looks like the toe pic saber... that dude is sitting on gold...

I'll wait for scottjua to weigh in...

Except that the toe pic saber has a full-knurl button, and (appears to have) a centered d-ring. I don’t really see a scenario where the full-knurl button would need to be replaced, or was somehow lost, especially with the beer tab keeping it attached to the upper half.

I kind of wonder what the condition was when he got it. I mean he was a child at the time and children are not always the most gentle with things. There could have been the bunny ears still attached and T-tracks, but they came off over time with rough play.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back