New Elstree Studio documentary with discarded Graflex.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Skelatorious, Feb 24, 2019.

1. steven giunta

steven giunta Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

0BC485ED-D13C-4DCB-B3F1-B76C929A9D4B.jpeg Was looking around on google and came across this.was a story about some kids visiting the Elstree set during filming. I can’t see the graflex to well on my phone,not sure if it’s gonna be clearer on a computer

2. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

Yep, that photo’s been around for awhile. Note that the Graflex is in the publicity orientation, complete with open lever.

3. Gregatron

Gregatron Sr Member

...and look at that kid holding the hero, live-fire DL-44! Yikes!

Treadwell likes this.
  4. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oxy-Acetylene is what I was referring to when I said that the deformation could've come from heating the flash for "welding" that washer to it.

I've taken time off from working in movies to take welding courses, and the first thing we learned was OAW (Oxy-Acetylene Welding). So that's what I pictured in my head, someone with a welding torch, perhaps not knowing the flash is plated brass, using too much heat to try to weld that washer in place.

halliwax likes this.
  5. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's what I thought as well. The first time I worked on a cracked some 20 odd years ago, I thought I was working with stainless steel

halliwax likes this.
  6. Mouse Vader

Mouse Vader Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From my experience of brazing all sorts of types of metal in varying thicknesses & on this scale this joint was made by some who knows how to braze, it's neatly done & not overheated - you do have to get both parts to be joined to a good red heat.

1st time I saw this hilt (in the video) I too thought, that's heat damage. The deformation is definitely mechanical, & deliberate.

7. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

I just learned that production designer Roger Christian is the same Roger Christian who directed Battlefield Earth.

I feel like this explains some things, although which things exactly are up for debate...

Shingouki28 likes this.
  8. Dann

Dann Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No WAY! Heh, oh man. That's some funny shish, right there!

9. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

I know, right? I was re-reading Roger Ebert's excellent review when he name-dropped the director. I thought there was no way, so I ran off to Wikipedia to check, and sure enough!

Having any connection to that train wreck seriously damages your movie street cred as it is. To have been in charge of it and made those decisions...man.

halliwax and Obiflex like this.
  10. CHalcyon82

CHalcyon82 New Member

In his defense, you can blame that film more on Travolta and Scientology than anything. They were the real puppet masters.

Shingouki28 and halliwax like this.
  11. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I didn’t know Christian did that film

12. Shingouki28

Shingouki28 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't we all keep that sorta thing quiet?:D:lol:

halliwax likes this.
  13. AnubisGuard

AnubisGuard Sr Member

"I'm beloved for my contributions to Star Wars and Alien. I'll make it big as a science fiction film director!"

[one box office bomb later]

"I'm beloved for my contributions to Star Wars and Alien. Maybe those rubes will buy some fakes."

14. JunkSabers1138

JunkSabers1138 Sr Member

Oh? o_O ... OH! :eek: ... ohhhhhhhhh :( .....