NEW DRAGONBALL SERIES! Dragonball Super

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Apr 28, 2015.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

2. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

The actress that voices Japanese Goku cracks me up...I really couldn't handle that voice:lol

Glad it's getting a well deserved revival.

3. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

now that it's starting to air.. I wonder why they are re doing battle of gods?

battle of gods was a perfect little reunion movie...can't really top it.

4. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Their basicly rushing throught what was in battle of gods so they can move on from there. Dint really find that necessary as im more curious as to what follows especially when theres also revival of frieza with the new form.

5. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

all they really had to do was a 'last time on dragonball Z' promo showing the events of the movie and pick up from there..

oh well... I hope that they do a more fulfilling revival of freiza and include king cold this time around..

6. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

first time i watched a subtitled series was android at the time we just got the finished part of the freeza saga so we were all excited to see the android saga so soon. and gokus voice freak'ed me out. back then there wasn't too much stuff on the internet for DBZ so it wasn't until later on i learned a female voiced him, made total sense once i learned that

7. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Battle of the Gods was great. Ressurection F was alright.

I'm definitely down for another round of the show. It will be weird hearing the voice actors after years of watching DBZ Abridged though.

8. halliwax

battle of the gods on netflix?

9. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I only watched the raw file so far... but holy crap...

Super Saiyin Videl. I wonder if the characters noticed her hair going golden....edit - apparently not if the translation is accurate.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  10. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Question. How can Videl, a full blooded human, go Super Saiyin?

11. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

She dint really go super saiyan but more her unborn child did. Few things showing she dint was her hair wasnt like the other ones who gone ssj and her eyes remained the same colour and not green. Wouldnt make any sense anyway if she gone ssj...

Really is starting to become a shame that they released battle of gods and revival of frieza and now releasing the same with few changes to the story in the series.

12. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Yeah, I don't know why they are retreading battle of the gods, or making it different from the movie. all they had to do was a simple recap and they would have been fine.

I always thought it would be a cool story idea that if you get pregnant with a Saiyan Child as a human, you, for a temporary time at least, share some Saiyan DNA. at that point, if you where unable to before, you could learn to fly, or up your power level a little and get a taste of saiyan power.

it would be kind of fun if someone made a wish to Shenron to give all the human fighters saiyan DNA so they could keep up with Goku and Vegita.
    Now with this goofy god power, they are so overtly powerful, NO enemy would be a match for them.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  13. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Well they do seem to be talking about other universes or something so surely there will be an enemy that is even stronger then beerus (not counting whis) but very unlikely any1 other then the saiyans will be of any use. Altho it was nice too see the gang in action in revival of frieza :)

14. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I wonder how the ratings are in japan....it's a VERY slow start, especially considering we've seen it all done before and better in a very well done little movie.
    I hope they are as confused as we are in wondering why the retread.

15. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I know it's probably going to be a dream, or maybe a peak into the alternate universe...but i'm interested in seeing how they'll handle 'super saiyan satan'.

I always thought it'd be a fun plotline for the human characters to get saiyan dna so they can keep up with everyone else :)

16. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

i doubt the universe is ready for satan to become super saiyan.

17. isunk

isunk New Member

it's just an animation thing. I used to animate for Toei Animation before I was transferred.

Basically, if there's a very strong light, we'll flood the entire cel with that color and only keep a few things different.

As for the Battle of Gods and Revival of Freeza thing being reanimated, we usually do this to give time to another team to animate future episodes with better animation.

KrangPrime likes this.
  18. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

wow...cool, thanks for the info..

that kind of makes sense now. folks are wondering whythe animation of super isn't as good as the features.
    personally, I don't find it that jarring. even C Toei stuff is better than some companies A teams..

i'm more interested into what changes the freiza movie will bring... and if they'll redo the tarble episode.

19. kiyominai

kiyominai Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. When you freeze frame screenshots, it looks a bit jarring but hey, they're at least moving right? And the punches and kicks are connecting. Also, if you screenshot some old DBZ episodes, it can be as bad as the ones we have now. I think people are being a bit too critical about the animation.

If I recall correctly, there might be a scene where it shows how Vegeta and Goku obtain Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan so i don't mind the retellings at all.

20. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I really wish they'd drop the Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan bit.

Super Saiyan God was bad enough, but it was a cool idea. but now he's so far above the other characters...even more than before..why even have them?

21. sworddude

sworddude New Member

I'm stoked, can't wait for the english subs.

22. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

now Dragonball Super seems to be starting to speed up a bit.

Looks like the freeza saga begins next week.....and we start to see a peak into the alternate universe.

I'm REALLY hoping the alternate universe might include future trunks timeline . or they play around with making the minor characters more powerful...

The one thing I don't like so far is that they seemed to have replaced the announcer/king kai's voice for good.this is the third episode where it sounds like someone different. it sounds close, but it's nowhere nears deep enough to be an exact match.

23. kialna

kialna Sr Member

It's a bit meh though that the saiyans are constantly rising and then there's this whole supporting cast basically doing nothing. I mean, during the Cell-Saga, at least some of them tried to keep up or had use. Like Tien. Now it's basically just Goku & Vegeta and sometimes the 'supporting' saiyans like Goten & Trunks. But who knows where this series is going... :)

24. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

Id really like to see Gohan train and come back into the mix. I hate how they just kinda dropped him after the Buu saga.

KrangPrime likes this.
  25. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

one of the things I don't like is how they are playing with the power levels in this series.

if the soldiers are so weak, even krillin can easily tackle them, one thousand soldiers for gohan alone would be no problem, never mind piccolo, who is at the level of an ultimate super saiyan bynow.

next weeks episode should be interesting. someone remembered the ginyu frog still exists.

26. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

you know, it's funny.....

I thought battle of gods was an excellent reunion movie. especially with vegita's song and dance routine ;o).
    yet, I thought the dragonball Super version of the story was terribly dull and boring.

However, with Revival of Freiza, I thought that movie was terribly boring. there was no build up or suspense or throw back to the freiza arc. Freiza just appeared, got beaten up, and killed off. boring.

yet,the dragonball Super arc rectified all that. bringing back captain ginyu......showing some character interaction and a bit of revenge......
    It's so far far more fullfilling than the movie, even if you know the end result will be the same.

the only problem with the dragonball universe is that it's more of the same. One of the nice things about Cell and Buu, was their un predictability. If the characracters are just going to get stronger and stronger to the point of rediculousness, you need a villain that can throw them off their gain.

It'd be nice if the next villain that came around, they can't use their super human strength and had togo back to learning basics again.

27. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I must say.....

The Re invisioning of Revival of F was MUCH more rewarding than it was in the movie.

From the return of captain Ginyu, to seeing the loved ones of earth blowing up, to seeing Gohan trying to get stronger again at the end....
    I really hope this is a return to making gohan a serious character again.

I swear we even got an English reading on Freeza's last line of a 'noooo' although it was tough to hear.

Next week we finally get some newer stuff..

28. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Since when does bulma have a sister, and where does JAco come from? did I miss something?

29. JoMamma_Smurf

JoMamma_Smurf Master Member

I'm way behind on this...I'm gonna need some time to catch up. I'll check back soon.

30. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I think they where storing up their entire animation budget for super shenron.

WOW!

31. Mektar

Mektar Well-Known Member

Really gotta start watching this. Been investing some time in other anime like one punch man (lol so simple and funny) and Bleach

32. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

trunks returns tonight.

33. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

Spoilers

i HOPE that we get an explanation of everything that's happened since the cell gamesin future trunks timeline. I also wonder if either whis will transport them to the future via their space cube, or if black will follow them to the present. iam also betting they will use the super dragonballs to fix trunks timeline for good.

34. halliwax

when does dragon ball super come on?

35. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

unless you are in japan, it wouldn't help. youtube does though ;o)

36. halliwax

so i can watch the series on youtube? do u have a special channel ( username) you follow?

37. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

My theory:

I'd say goku black is somehow freeza reincarnated, but when he and goku meet, it's like it is for the first time, so that kind of kills that theory.

38. halliwax

neil any advice where to see english dubs? i can't find the full episode 1 on youtube?

39. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

40. halliwax

thanks, I'm trying to watch it from the beginning. i volunteer as a big brother, they kids i mentor are watching it on some website, i only go to a few websites other than my forum boards so i dont want to go on their sites not knowing how safe they are, I'm super paranoid

41. halliwax

ok so i watched DBZ: battle of the gods last night... horrible. absolutely horrible... i haven't found resurrection of F on youtube yet, but if its anything like the first movie, i dont expect much... and now after seeing BoTG i have serious doubts for SUPER...

wicked disappointment... the eternal dragon afraid of beris... yeah ok... the whole god transformation thing is a joke...i feel like after goku went super saiyan and we kept on getting more and more transformations it lost it for me.. saiyan saga. and freeza were the best in my eyes, android was ok but started to push it.. goku was extremely corny in this movie and totally not like the pervious films and shows, so corny that when he's serious you can't even take him seriously... and vegeta getting on stage and doing his best "americas got talent" audition.. never would his character ever do a thing like that.. what the heck is Masahiro Hosoda thinking... and Masahiro bad talks GT!? as you serious?! i would prefer GT over this garbage

i was super excited for this new series but judging by the movies if the show is like this i won't waste the time... and the CG animation incorporated with the cartoon... yuck.... i also hate how when the camera pans across (side scrolls) the whole screen gets blurry whats the deal with that, it gave me killer motion sickness..

...rant off

- - - Updated - - -

i have since watched a bunch of clips from super, can't find any complete episodes but i talked to a few of my kids i mentor and they say the rumor is

black is goku's soul fused with a kai, thats why there is so much attention to the ear ring. some how when goku traveled to hell, one of his many times a piece of his soul was stolen, or cloned... time will tell

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2018
  42. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

for me, Battle of gods was a FAR better reunion movie than Resurrection.

RoF was just battle after battle after battle. and it didn't have any of the nostalgia that a revival of freiza would incorporate. part of that was because it didn't have the faulconer music, I think. as a kid in 2000 watching that, that felt like a big moment. not so much here. They do fix a little of that with Super.

Where as I liked Battle of Gods, the same story in super felt boring and drawn out. Where as I didn't care for RoF in movie form, in series form i Liked it alot better.

For Gods, yeah, I agree this whole super saiyan god thing is stupid. all it does is seperate goku from the core characters more and more. it could just be the goku and vegita show and you don't need anyone else. Just regular SSJ would have been fine.

I loved Vegita's dance number. That was the whole point of it. he swallowed EVERY ounce of pride he had to protect the earth. fit perfectly as to how he's evolved, I think.
    The Dragon being afraid of beerus is also amusing. even though he should be afraid of anyone with a power level higher than king piccolo who killed him, it gives you an idea of just how..off kilter beerus is, considering everyone is usually afraid of the dragon. nice role reversal.

One thing I love about super and Gods, was that it returns the humor dragonball is known for. I never was much ofa pilaf fan...but when he's not trying to be 'evil' he works MUCH better, I think as comedy relief.

43. halliwax

yeah... maybe its my age? idk... i watched dragon ball when i was a kid back in the 80s and then in the early 2000 we got dbz on toonami but only up to the gynu force... we had that for years then finally we got the end of the freeza saga.

i just dont care for it.. now that you say you dont like DoF i figure i will just skip that as well..

the worlds strongest, tree of might, dead zone are all my favorites.. the history of trunks wasn't bad but trunks being my favorite (future trunks) i was thinking it would be different..

44. halliwax

just finished resurrection of F, i liked it much better then battle of the gods. though i still dont like the new animation mechanic... incorporating the CGI into the cartoon... heh its just not me...

the characters now cuss, but yet they are all water down? vegeta doesnt seem to be what i remember ( and i dont fall for that "planet earth has made him friendly") goku has become a dumb *... he was a joker in the past but he's a complete ******* now.. i dont like it, and its hard to take him serious

and it only took freeza 6 months to catch up to goku and vegeta when they have been training for years.. i know its a kids cartoon and i shouldn't be so credical, but the pervious show really was strict and paid attention to all these little things..

i fear these movies are just to stimulate the franchise to sell more t-shirts and posters.. in the past we couldn't really count the movies as canon because most of them didnt have a real time line connection, or should i say you couldn't pin point exactly when the movie takes place and what ever happens in the movie is never mentioned in the show.. judging by what you tell me neil, it looks like they have changed that now and incorporating these movies into SUPER..

heres hoping, but if its like these movies i dont have any high hopes.. while i was watching i kept finding myself checking my phone for weather updates.. not good.. i thought maybe its my age? i was obsessed about DBZ over 15 years ago... geesh... about 18 years ago, where has time gone? anyway.. i lived for this show, i can still throw in my old dvd's and watch every minute of it, and these are the old ones (orange box re dubbed versions) these aren't the kai versions, i can still sit through all the filler episodes and 2 week long battle scenes...

i dont get it, you know how we talk about ghostbusters, I'm on that boat right now over these DBZ movies.. tell me its gonna get better! lol

45. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

SUPPOSEDLY the only reason they re did the movies was to give the animators time to work on super episodes. according to a poster earlier.
    it was a rather strange decision, but with that, i guess i can live with that explanation.

Don't expect Dragonball Super to be as deep and engaging as the old series. it's not.
    The Next saga after the movies is the Universe Tournament. Universe Six and Seven fight it out.
    They play very loosely with power levels. and when they don't, it's done more for comedy. Vegita beating Frost So easily because he was only at Freiza's Namek Power Level, for instance, yet Piccolo, now as strong as an ultra super saiyan (between one and two), had a hard time with him. He should have been able to defeat him as easy as vegita did. None of the opponents are really all that strong, and SSJ1 should vanquish all but one easily. yet, they draw it out.
    Freiza saying he should be able to reach a power level of 1.3 million, when in the series, his old final form was supposed to be at one million already. they should be in the billions by now with god form.

The Tournament saga was a bit of a let down. the only thing that kept it interesting was the kai exhibition, the introduction of three new characters, and promise of a all 7 universe tournament. oh,. and the appearance of the super dragon.

This Trunks saga is the first one to feel a little more like the old show. and i hope the super dragon makes another appearance to fix trunks universe for good.

46. Stormie

Stormie Well-Known Member

I think Goku Black is a AU Goku who's world was destoryed by time travel so now he works for the gods as a sort of "time police officer."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  47. halliwax

...super dragon.... greeeaat

KrangPrime likes this.
  48. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

actually, the super dragon is the one neat power up i don't mind. it's incredibly hard to collect universal dragonballs spread across two universes, so i'm assuming this would be a once in a few years or decade type thing

49. halliwax

oh its a different set of dragon balls? i thought u meant shenlong turns super... maybe this super dragon is the creator of all the other dragons

50. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

nope on the latter, and yes on the former ;o). different set entirely ;o)