New Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber

Laser Brain

Sr Member
Here are a few shots of a Darth Maul cutaway lightsaber that I was commissioned to design and build by Dorling Kindersley. It was for a photoshoot for their new Episode 1 Expanded Visual Dictionary. I had a week to make it.

It is made entirely from steel and aluminium...all stuffed into a Force FX saber. Thanks to Russrep for turning up the 'Cycling Field Energizers'...helping me hit my deadline!

4547872.jpeg

4561381.jpeg

4578624.jpeg

They have a really nice full-size photo of the prop in the book, which I have no rights to, so can't upload. :)

Neil

Thanks Chaim, John. It was a bit of a rush job...but lots of fun...there are plenty of found parts in there which made it doable. I'm definitely not the fastest machinist out there. :)

I saw the pic and thought it looked familiar. My G|F bought me the book. Really nice work, hows it feel to be famous lol. Seriously though that looks excellent.

Thanks mate. Part of my brief to retain some of the look and feel of the Luke cutaway that features in their books...hense the cycling field energizers and battery/crystal locations. It had to look more powerful and dangerous...less controllable.

Beautiful! Since it appeared in the book, does this mean the internal parts and design are official, as in they are officially authorised by lucasfilm?

Lucasfilm had to sign it off before it was included in the book, so I guess that makes the design official...at least as far as the expanded universe is concerned.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back