Interest Actual new news on the crystal run!

Can’t wait for this run! Looking to get some more of that green prototype crystal too. They turned out so good. That and a bunch of clear ones. Particularly, that prop one above!

Still interested in one Brando and two Fortress crystals! And If you can help identify some companion clear crystals that look similar (yet different) to the Fortress crystals, that helps with the "control panel" look.

Ok peeps, some good news!

I've been working with several cg/3d artists over the years, and I've got my foot in the door for an option that I really never thought of. AI designed crystals using reference from the movies!

Now, before you lose your minds, please remember that this is not a guarantee that these will be 100% accurate to the film, but there is a decent chance it'll find details I've missed. Hell, as much as I've put into designing these and researching over the years I can't say if I've got em 100% :lol:

They may look amazing, they may look weird. I honestly don't know yet. I'm getting my best reference available and will be using the highest res, best screencaps and prop shots I can to get these done.

I've seen the results of the process with a few normal pieces like daggers or coins or masks, but this is really the first big test for clear; transparent stuff.

I'll know more in the coming weeks. Just wanted to keep you guys updated on where we are at. Skyrim prototype beacons are done, Superman and Lois crystals are done, just waiting for em to ship.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some cool stuff in the future. One thing to remember though, the originals were made of resin/plexiglass so if I try to make a design out of crystal it just can't be super complex, pardon the pun.

So, that's where we are at now. Everyone keep your fingers crossed and I'll update as soon as I have something new!

Chris

Interesting.
I've seen a few articles and posts around for AI-generated 3d Models. I've been tempted to try it myself, but most of the places offering it require you to pay upfront, with no idea what you'll get and no refunds if it produces a dud. It apparently takes an enormous amount of processing power to generate the models so the companies supplying the service charge a lot for it. Everything else I've ever used AI, or similar automated processes for, I generally end up going through half a dozen iterations before nailing down a good result. Not sure I want to take the chance on this until I see more evidence of the results and have a better idea of what you need to input into it.
Sounds like you may have a bit more of an inside track though and might be in a good position to work with the supplier to nail down the results properly. I assume the model generated is then used to CNC or laser cut crystals for you?
Very curious to see what they come up with.

Very cool! Glad to see you back and I'm excited to purchase a few crystals from you when the time comes. Thanks for the update Hydin.

Glad to see everyone. Is excited!

StarganderFish - No worries. When it comes to this kinda stuff, I don't have my hand out asking for cash, I consider it part of research. The only reason I have a foot in is one of the artists I use is doing some sort of work with either the company that makes the AI or it's an offshoot thing. Either way, I'm paying. You guys only gotta buy the crystals if I decide to get em made.

The models are 3d printed and used as reference for the factory to cut. If there was something that required it, they can CNC a mold but that's $$$ and I really don't do anything in volume enough to warrant the cost.

Got my fingers crossed on it, so hopefully I will have news soon about it.

Chris

Glad to see everyone. Is excited!

StarganderFish - No worries. When it comes to this kinda stuff, I don't have my hand out asking for cash, I consider it part of research. The only reason I have a foot in is one of the artists I use is doing some sort of work with either the company that makes the AI or it's an offshoot thing. Either way, I'm paying. You guys only gotta buy the crystals if I decide to get em made.

The models are 3d printed and used as reference for the factory to cut. If there was something that required it, they can CNC a mold but that's $$$ and I really don't do anything in volume enough to warrant the cost.

Got my fingers crossed on it, so hopefully I will have news soon about it.

Chris
That’s awesome thanks. Sorry if it sounded like I was criticising the cost. It was more a case of having looked into this myself, and I could never quite manage the cost for a single one-off job so I’m super interested to see how it all works and what the results and process are like. This is the sort of thing that can revolutionise one-off or small-run model and prop making, especially for folks like me with almost no 3d modelling experience. I’m watching with avid curiosity.
I’m also keen for an awesome looking OG Superman Crystal so it’s quite a selfish interest as well.

I've reviewed all the posts on Hydin's crystals since 2017 in an attempt to confirm which version I have. It seems that the catalogue images we've all been referring to do not include the version released in 2020, which SankaraRaider dubbed the Jeff East Crystal, based on the screen used prop that was auctioned by Prop Shop in 2018. Thats the one I have apparently (pics attached). Might this now also be considered the new Donner Crystal or does the catalogue image need to be updated? Just trying to clarify this. :)

IMG_9861.jpeg
IMG_9859.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9861.jpeg
    IMG_9861.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back