New Cleopatra

Pretty good casting choice since Cleopatra wasn't ethnically Egyptian but Greek. But I think that a lot of the uninformed will complain about the casting complaining about how she's not white and they should have cast someone of Middle Eastern/North African descent for the role, and a few of the really ignorant will scream that they should have cast a black woman because they believe that Cleopatra was black.

Pretty good casting choice since Cleopatra wasn't ethnically Egyptian but Greek. But I think that a lot of the uninformed will complain about the casting complaining about how she's not white and they should have cast someone of Middle Eastern/North African descent for the role, and a few of the really ignorant will scream that they should have cast a black woman because they believe that Cleopatra was black.
That's already happening. Scores of Twitter twits are telling Gal to kill herself, or wishing her dead, they shouldn't have cast a white "Zionist" to play a black African, etc.

Well, it seems some of the actual experts aren't agreed on her racial make up (part of the issue being the fact that her mother has never been positively identified in the historical record), so maybe it's not as cut and dry as people would like to think.

For what it's worth, yes, it's Newsweek, but it was shared by this Egyptologist on her Facebook page: Kathlyn (Kara) Cooney - Near Eastern Languages & Cultures - UCLA

Last edited:
Well, it seems some of the actual experts aren't agreed on her racial make up (part of the issue being the fact that her mother has never been positively identified in the historical record), so maybe it's not as cut and dry as people would like to think.

For what it's worth, yes, it's Newsweek, but it was shared by this Egyptologist on her Facebook page: Kathlyn (Kara) Cooney - Near Eastern Languages & Cultures - UCLA
Chances are that Cleopatra's mother was also her aunt since the Ptolemys were notorious for keeping it in the family. Even if her mother wasn't her father's sister, her mother was almost certainly another Macedonian Greek and probably related to her father. I don't think that the Ptolemys would have tolerated marrying a local since it was noted that Cleopatra was the first and only Ptolemy to actually speak Egyptian.

Geez. By modern standards, we never would have gotten the most nuanced, accurate, and celebrated portrayal of a historical figure ever to have graced the silver screen—The Conqueror:

Behold! Ghengis Khan—the world trembled at his name!!

DE631549-6E86-4F7E-842E-51CE80C89E94.jpeg

Last edited:
Chances are that Cleopatra's mother was also her aunt since the Ptolemys were notorious for keeping it in the family. Even if her mother wasn't her father's sister, her mother was almost certainly another Macedonian Greek and probably related to her father. I don't think that the Ptolemys would have tolerated marrying a local since it was noted that Cleopatra was the first and only Ptolemy to actually speak Egyptian.
There's nothing saying she would have been Ptolemy's first wife, or even a wife at all. She could have been a lesser wife or a concubine.

I like Gal Gadot and find her entertaining, so I don't have a particular issue with this casting. I'm just pointing out that those who DO aren't just "people who fell asleep in history class" or necessarily people just looking to cause issues.

There's nothing saying she would have been Ptolemy's first wife, or even a wife at all. She could have been a lesser wife or a concubine.

I like Gal Gadot and find her entertaining, so I don't have a particular issue with this casting. I'm just pointing out that those who DO aren't just "people who fell asleep in history class" or necessarily people just looking to cause issues.
Even if Cleopatra's mother was a second wife, I doubt that said wife would have been anything less than a full blooded Macedonian Greek and a blood relation at that given the Ptolemy family obsession with keeping the bloodline "pure". That and the fact that Cleopatra was the first of the Ptolemys to actually speak Egyptian suggests that they didn't mingle with the locals and I would doubt that they'd allow a "half-blood" to become queen. I'm also not entirely sure that ancient Greeks practiced polygamy and that the Ptolemaic pharaohs would have had concubines and sub-wives, not to mention that children of concubines aren't generally considered to be legitimate and allowed to inherit thrones.

Lets hope that they have better luck than 20th Century Fox did. Because of their "Cleopatra", they spent most of the 60s and early 70s selling off parts of the studio backlot trying to keep from going under. They didn't recover until they released "Star Wars" in 1977.

David.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back