new casting / sculpting for mask question

muff

is there a way to make a mold of a pred head and mold my face into it, making it skin tight to my face ? i dont know it that made perfect sense but i had that thought, anyone know a way to help clarify the thought process?

yes actually ..you would start with a full headcast of yourself. The stone positive result would become the mask's Core. The clay would be sculpted over this and a casting would be made of your predator mask. Registration keys would be made to accompany keys on the shoulders of your core. this is so the core will remain locked into the correct placement inside the mask mold. Here's were it can be tricky. The best way to go about casting this would be to use foam latex. Unfortunately foam latex takes a little bit of skill to mix, pour and cook ( you will need a specialized oven to do this.) It will yield a soft skin like mask that will not last forever. BUT ..it will pull off the core. Silicone would be another way to go ..again ..it will release from the core. Here is the problem with using slip latex and polyfoam with the method. The mold I just described will close over the core with out much room for air. Polyfoam needs air to cure nice and spongy.Without it it can turn rigid ( improper mixing can do this too) if the foam becomes rigid, it will lock onto that core making it very difficult to remove. Here's the most comon way..not as effective for what you are asking, but the easiest, none the less: You can make a resin and rigid foam casting of your head from your lifecast..coat it in foam release ..eyeball placement and insert it into a regular mask mold after the latex has been poured and start pouring foam batches. Most do it this way using a mannequin head, duct tape head or lifecast head ..its an approximation since there are no keys locking the core into the mold though

hope that made sense

yes it did, i've seen other do similar things but it didnt make sense to me but now that i have the general idea i think i can pull it off, i just needed someone to make sense of the mess i had in my head lol so thank you lol

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back