New browser addon script available for thread hiding

holtt

I got tired of certain threads (often containing "Matty" or about vendor reputations), so rather than complain (too much), I wrote a useful browser extension to let you show/hide individual threads.

No editing of the script is required to add threads to the ignore list. Just click a new "hide" button by the thread and it goes away, and stays hidden even if you reload the page.

And if you change your mind, a master "Hide/Unhide" button at the top of the page lets you show all the hidden threads and unhide individual ones if you'd like.

Pretty easy to use, and a lot fancier than an older "hide thread" tool I found earlier.

To use it, you will need to have the Chrome "tampermonkey" extension installed (see https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en), or if you use Firefox, install Greasemonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/). Sorry, no IE or Safari support:(

Then grab the script from TheRPF Thread Manager. Assuming you have tamper monkey or Greasemonkey installed you can just click the Install button.

If you aren't familiar with this kind of extension, basically Tampermonkey automatically loads up custom JavaScript (like mine) when a selected page loads. My script then loads up its persistent list of threads to hide (by ID), then hides them. It also adds "Hide" and other buttons to allow for interaction, plus deals with the clicks on the new buttons.

It shouldn't interfere at all with the normal site functionality, nor does it do any kind of login stealing, etc. View the source if you'd like - it's pretty straight forward if you're a web dev & know your JavaScript & jQuery.

If anyone has any suggestions or finds bugs, let me know.

Last edited:
Re: Cross post - new browser script plugin available for forum thread hiding...

That's great mate! Thanks for helping the community!

Someone rep that man!!!

No longer must we suffer those 'Art Threads' ;) :lol

No longer must we suffer those 'Art Threads' ;) :lol

Hehe i'm sure we all have the ones we can't stand ;)

I need to give this a try on Firefox too with Greasemonkey and see how it works there.

*edit*
Tested on Firefox with the Greasemonkey extension. Seems to work well!

Last edited:
I'll give it a shot with Greasemonkey to see how it works. If all goes well it may just work. Figuring it will evolve a bit as time goes on, but nothing drastic.

So it doesn't actually delete the thread, just sets the table row with the thread as "display:none", which makes it just not draw. So nothing actually modified anywhere beyond your view of the web. And if you disable the script or the Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey extension, everything runs as normal.

A couple of screens...

Site%2520Support%2520%2526%2520News%25281%2529.jpg

Site%2520Support%2520%2526%2520News%25282%2529.jpg

This is exactly what I was thinking of! I'm constantly trying to sift through costumes section that seems to be flooded with the Ironman posts! Thanks man:)

One negative that I can't get around is that it hides posts on the current page, but doesn't pull in more posts to fill in the missing ones. So if you have hidden 15 posts on a page, you're only going to see 10 (25 total, minus 15 hidden). It can look a bit odd.

You sir, are a delight. My only gripe is the "Hide" buttons are kinda loud. Maybe something smaller? Other than that it's fraking awesome.

I will gladly donate a couple of bucks to support your trouble and buy you that beer I owe ya. :):thumbsup

Glad you like it. Sometimes the best tools come from need :)

I originally had a little tiny icon (thumbs up/down) but I was concerned users wouldn't know it was part of the ui. Maybe I could add a little checkbox for "minimal mode" that uses icons etc.

Just installed, its awesome. I've hidden the same 'Matty' threads and a few MAGs ones :)

Thanks mate.

Managed to make it a little easier on the eye, its only a quick fix but I changed the font size to 6 and changed Hide to H.

Managed to make it a little easier on the eye, its only a quick fix but I changed the font size to 6 and changed Hide to H.

That's a great idea. I went ahead and changed mine to an H as well! Makes it much more appealing. I think once it's installed and you know what everything does, you don't really need anything much more than some symbols.

BTW, really really digging this script. Here's a before and after example. All those Dredd stickies were annoying the hell out of me. Not anymore!

Before
View attachment 145323

After
View attachment 145324

Much improved!

Nice mods! Let me roll something like that mini mode in.

One structural change I want to so is use CSS so it's easier to tweak the style. Should make modding easier.

Glad you all are finding it useful as well as diving in to mod it. If you are comfortable with web dev and javascript it's not that complex, and I did try to comment it. Habits of the profession (developer) I guess!

Last edited:
Gratuitous pimpage, but I gotta say I have been loving the forums much more now with this. The best tools are ones you write for yourself that have value beyond I think.

So I tried reducing the font size down a bit, but found it was too hard to read for my monitor (and my eyes) at least. I did find cutting it down to just an "H" or "U" button was good. Still thinking of a few additions like maybe a first time use "Welcome to" popup to give you hints and let you configure it a bit.

Quick bump. I just updated the script to work with the new forum layout and structure. Same functionality as before, but I did add a little first-time popup with brief instructions. It should only show up the first time you load.

As always let me know if you run into any problems or issues.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back