New and need some help

fredd3039

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello everyone,human
I am new to propmaking and I need some training. I have been trying to find information on creating and texturing bones and mummified skin. I own an occult book publishing company and I want to learn to make props for our photo shoots. We always need special things for the shoots and they are enormously as you probably know. I have tried renting from the local costume shop but...well you know the quality of those cheap costume houses. I am an ok sculpter so far but I have not tried anything like a face or hands. I have done some figurines but the fine details are not in my skill set yet. Also I have no idea how to paint the objects or texture rotten flesh and fingernails. I tried a google search for creature effects and got a lot of places selling props. I have tried to fing books on propmaking but it is mostly furniture and back drops. Does anyone know of a good book that explains sculpting, molding with latex, using and working with clays, texturing, painting etc? Even making prosthetic piecs for the models to wear? Books or dvd recommendations would be much appreciated.
Frank

Searching this forum and Youtube can be your friends, so long as you have a specific item in mind. Stiltbeaststudio on Youtube has some great halloween/haunted house tutorials that may cover bones etc

Oh and welcome!! :)

OK, grab a drink, a few snacks, maybe a sandwich, get comfy and look through these links! ;)

You want info on sideshow gaff making - try here for a few tutorials:
Dark Artifacts: The Amazing Feejee Mermaid! (From Borneo.)

Stiltbeast Studios on YouTube - always worth a watch! Quick, straight forward and effective:
Stiltbeast Studios - YouTube

A bunch of Halloween projects & tutorials:
Projects
Props and Prop Building - HauntForum
HauntProject.com - Your visual source for Haunting How-To's

Prop guy blogs - lots of different approaches & styles:
Prop-Rageous
DAVE LOWE DESIGN the Blog
MRX Designs
Propnomicon

It may seem weird to use Halloween prop making tutorials for something like this, but they really are very similar to what you're looking for.

Even if it isn't exactly what you want, the method remains the same, and I find if you know different methods, you can apply them to other custom prop builds.

Hope that helps!
Coz.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back