New Accurized P1 Gen 3 Cannon-Assembled Pg. 3

carlart

Hey guys, I haven't been around here much in the last year, I've been prepping my backpack for molding. Yes, I know, you've all heard it umpteen times. I had to stop, because the "Holy Grail" of photograph collections of the original P1 Backpack that I had been searching for years had surfaced just as I literally had put the order in for the silicone. George (PTGreek) was kind enough to obtain some photos from a friend of his at The Prop Store. Kudos to Brandon, George, and Art for taking and providing me with the photos I've needed from every possible angle for so long. (More on this, and other details in my backpack thread).
Things have been crazy lately, it seems everything is coming together at once. No screen accurate backpack could be as good without an "accurized" cannon to go with it. I've been promising people that my final Gen 3. cannon would come soon after the backpack…I just didn't realize how soon.

My budzo Scott Andrews (Scott AS), recently purchased a state of the art 3D printer, whose outputs have to be seen to be believed. As George and others in the biz have said, this is where the industry is going, digital. So, since I design stuff in 3D at my job, what better way to shift the cannon revamp into high gear than to built it 100% digitally and print it out on Scott's printer? Well, that's exactly what I'm doing.

For the first time on the Lair as far as I know, this thread will detail a pred-prop being built from scratch in the computer from original reference photos, and then output on a state of the art 3D printer, and then molded. For those who know how painfully slow I can be, this new method is a God-send. As you can see, I'm almost done building the cannon, and then the arm to go with it. The beauty of this method over traditional sculpting is that I can build in screw bosses, and other things that will allow for removable panels to insert animatronics (oh-yes) and other things.

You will no doubt notice as I post more pix, that some of the details on my new cannon don't exactly match those on the Wang cannon in the reference photos. That is mainly because you are not looking at the same cannon you saw in P1. For instance, the metal wires you see were added for P2. Winston & co. tried to subtly change the look of the P1 cannon and backpack by stripping off some of the greeblies, and adding some new ones, including the wires. Using other P1 ref pix, I restored those, like the tank track on the right side of the barrel (hidden in this angle). Rushed water based clay details have been replaced with crisp, more symmetrical features.

I should be finished building the gun and arm by this weekend, or the beginning of next week. I will be molding the backpack this weekend, and then the new cannon the following week. Thanks for staying tuned, guys. Much more to come.

InitialCannon.jpg.gif

Carls work is like buses, ( UK saying ) you wait ages for 1 , then 2 Appear ( hopefully) right after each other.

No way...the guy comes out of nowhere with his bag of tricks...always good to see you around Carl,look forward to this one.

Carl,

It's all coming together real nice hopefully we can see it in all it's glory at the October show.

The pack, cannon.... it's been cool to be on this journey with you.
The home stretch baby!!!!!

Ta Da!!! The gun and arm are finished, and they're off to Scott for printing. It's gonna take a little finessing, but it's gonna be sweet!
Looking at the photo of the right side of the cannon below, you'll notice some differences. That's because the side is missing. Presumably there was either an access door there, or it was damaged somehow (not sure if this is the same cannon that got blown up during shooting) Anyway, if you can zoom in, you can see somebody sealed in the hole with what looks like fabric tape and tried to glue back the greeblies on, some of which don't belong where they now sit. Looking over other pix I have I tried to recreate what the right side of the gun might have looked like, adding/removing/repositioning some of the details to look more homogenous with the other side, yet different. One of the biggest hallmarks about Steve Wang's cannon is it's asymmetry, yet not too radically different side to side. If you look close, there is a set of coil spring suspension assemblies appearing on both sides of the gun. What's funny is that one was attached to the left side upside-down or vice-versa o_O

Cannon02.jpg.gif

Cannon03.jpg.gif

Hopefully I can post up some pix of the printer outputs in the next few days.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back