Netflix Recommendations Thread

I like both the animated and live-action for what each is. It feels more like how Japan does continual "we told you the story that way, but how about this" approach. How many Gundam universes/timelines are there? Or Tenchi?

I've been (slowly) watching Cowboy Bebop and I find it to be just ok. Of course, that's probably because I'm a big fan of the original anime that it's based on and it falls flat in comparison to the anime. To me, it feels like a very high quality and expensive fan film, it also feels like that the producers, writers, and directors can't make up their minds on whether they want to be as faithful to the original anime as possible or make it their own thing. Personally, I've found Arcane and S3 of Lost in Space to be far more enjoyable.
Arcane is quite simply the best animated show I've ever seen, both technically and in terms of the storytelling, performances and emotional heft. It's just a masterpiece.

Not Netflix but Hulu, anyone watching the Pam and Tommy show? Honestly, I didn't think it would be any good as I figured there would not be much Motley Crue stuff in it (and there isn't), but so far it is really good!! The casting is awesome! Other than not being as tall and skinny as Tommy Lee, Sebastian Stan knocks it out of the park in the role! I don't remember the girls' name, but she is the spitting image of Pamela Anderson. I really don't care much for Seth Rogen, but this is the first thing I ever seen him in where he is not just playing "Seth Rogen".

I sat through the first three episodes in one sitting. Can't wait for the rest.

Up to episode 4 of All of Us are Dead. Liking it so far, it's like an expansion series to Train to Busan although not related as Train to Busan is actually mentioned by name in the series. The zombies are however the same as the Train to Busan zombies.
I'm also wondering if the Highschool of the Dead anime was the inspiration for this series.

Summit of the Gods is a wonderful film. I wasn't sure what to expect going in but it turned out to be exactly what I was needing at the time. It a 2.5D-ish (CG made to look like 2D) animated movie about mountain climbing and it doesn't do anything truly remarkable beyond being a competently made film (but I suppose that is an achievement all of itself now). I was thoroughly engaged the whole way through.

What isn't wonderful is Netflix's Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Terrible from the bottom up. Horrible characters, terrible writing, and dull direction on something that was trying too hard to be like the 2018 Halloween. Too big, too bloated, and too dumb for its own hour and 15 minute run time.

Last edited:
Not Netflix but Hulu, anyone watching the Pam and Tommy show? Honestly, I didn't think it would be any good as I figured there would not be much Motley Crue stuff in it (and there isn't), but so far it is really good!! The casting is awesome! Other than not being as tall and skinny as Tommy Lee, Sebastian Stan knocks it out of the park in the role! I don't remember the girls' name, but she is the spitting image of Pamela Anderson. I really don't care much for Seth Rogen, but this is the first thing I ever seen him in where he is not just playing "Seth Rogen".

I sat through the first three episodes in one sitting. Can't wait for the rest.
She's Lily James the face of Sky TV oh and she was great in Baby Driver as his GF..

Up to episode 4 of All of Us are Dead. Liking it so far, it's like an expansion series to Train to Busan although not related as Train to Busan is actually mentioned by name in the series. The zombies are however the same as the Train to Busan zombies.
I'm also wondering if the Highschool of the Dead anime was the inspiration for this series.

I was wondering if anyone was going to mention All of Us are Dead. I just finished it last night and loved it. It's probably one of the best zombie apocalypses shows that I've watched in a long time. All of the characters come off as fairly believable for the most part, while they do some of the same stupid things that you see in shows like The Walking Dead franchise, in this case, it's understandable because they're just kids (high school juniors mostly) with no adult supervision. In other cases, they're actually smarter than many of the adults in TWDvers in that even though they don't have access to guns, they're adept at using improvised weapons and better yet, improvised armor.

All in all a great show, the season is only 12 episodes long but they're nearly hour long episodes, so a lot tends to happen in each episode. I definitely recommend checking this series out if you're a fan of zombie horror.

Is season two of The Witcher worth watching? I'm in the need of something new. I remember watching Season 1, but honestly, I don't even remember what it was about. That's how memorable it was, I guess.

Is season two of The Witcher worth watching? I'm in the need of something new. I remember watching Season 1, but honestly, I don't even remember what it was about. That's how memorable it was, I guess.
I liked it. They learned a lot of the lessons from season 1 and it's a much more focused story this season.

I liked it. They learned a lot of the lessons from season 1 and it's a much more focused story this season.
Season 1 wasn't very focused because it was adapting several origin short stories that take place in different times and tell how the main characters get together. They did a better job of that than I'd expected, and it's pretty much a case of "I told you that story to tell you this one..."

If you're in a documentary mood, 'Downfall' about the Boeing 737 Max crashes was really interesting and the mini series 'Challenger: The Final Flight'.

The Haunting of Hill House was so good that I even ended up dreaming about it after watching the first episode!

'Black Books' is a great British comedy that I only found out about from a friend's recommendation, not sure if it's available outside of the UK though.

Just finished Guierllmo Del Toro's "Cabinet of Curiosities" horror anthology series last night, and to briefly sum it up: Episodes 8,7,3 (in that order) are the only ones worth watching as they're the few made with any level of competence and intention. Everything else is lame and trite as all hell. A couple stories are adapted from H.P. Lovecraft short stories and it's not a wonder why there aren't more adaptations of his material to live-action, they all stink on ice.

Shame they've now re cast its leading man..

Hrmmmp!
From what I was reading, it looked more like Henry wanted to do other things. Or there were things he wanted to do, but the proposed shooting schedule would conflict, and he chose the other. Or something like that. It can be difficult to parse past Hollywood-marketing panglossianism, but my gut feeling is he left the show, rather than the show getting rid of him.

From what I was reading, it looked more like Henry wanted to do other things. Or there were things he wanted to do, but the proposed shooting schedule would conflict, and he chose the other. Or something like that. It can be difficult to parse past Hollywood-marketing panglossianism, but my gut feeling is he left the show, rather than the show getting rid of him.
I guess Bigger commitments got in the way or possibly filming clashes ?
The last thing they want is another Superman Tashgate affair..

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back