Netflix' Marvel Daredevil Build (all costumes)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by STARL0RD, Apr 12, 2015.

1. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

So after binge watching this show over the past day I have decided to make both the red and black outfits as well as possibly a Matt Murdock, however I don't have too much dough at the moment so this is going to be on a lower budget unfortunately. I have gathered some materials as well as some clothes to see what I already have and I have found a shirt and pants for the black outfit as well as some gloves too, I do still need the hex vambraces so if any one could direct me to some of those it would be much appreciated! For the red costume I am still trying to gather images to figure out what exactly it looks like. So for now I am just gathering reference.
    Charlie Cox Daredevil Red.jpg Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.12.14 AM.png daredevil-netflix-series-previews-620x350.jpg 5439aa6fceaf8.jpg
    If anyone else has any other reference pictures please post them (especially of the red suit)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

First off a shout out to sp1derman for letting me use all this reference for the black suit, so just wanted to say thanks! That being said I know have a lot more reference for the black suit
    Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.41.46 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.41.57 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.42.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.42.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.42.55 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.43.12 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.43.25 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.44.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.44.38 AM.png Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 11.44.50 AM.png

Attached Files:

3. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

Well here is a link to what I and many others belive to be the black compression shirt that is worn in the show. This is all speculation so don't quote me on it. They are selling out quick so hopefully you will find your size

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D39WD4G

Knight Watchman likes this.
  4. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Thanks! I have seen other people buying those so I will definitely check that out. Any idea on how to do the mask?

5. MadeByMadden

MadeByMadden New Member

It honestly looks like a ripped black shirt. Tying it correctly would be key to getting the look right.

6. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

yeah that is kind of what I thought too

7. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

I read an article from the costume designer and they said his shirt is actually a compression shirt. Unless you are talking about his mask

8. MadeByMadden

MadeByMadden New Member

Yup, the mask. Though I've seem people looking into Lycra hijabs too. But his shirt is a compression shirt. People even found black ones with the red lining. An almost exact replica.

9. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

yeah I have seen the compression shirts and I will hopefully be picking one of those up as long as I can afford it, as for the mask I will definitely check out the Lycra hijabs, thanks again MadeByMadden and Htofstead

10. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just remember, for the mask you will have to make a kind of shell underneath. Without one, the fabric would fall into the valleys of his face, but they don't, meaning there is some kind of shell underneath. Kinda like a half version of what you would wear under a Spider-man mask.

11. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

Got this image that shows great detail in his shirt. I still belive the shirt changes on each of his outings due to damage but this also shows an octagon pattern on the shirt. image.jpg

12. Tornadoboy

Tornadoboy New Member

13. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

those look great Tornadoboy! I also thought the shirt changed and I could see that the red lining seemed to disappear at times plus it makes sense. As for a face shell, I think that would probably be a good idea, anybody have a template for a half mask face shell?

14. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

Looks fantastic

15. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

I am willing to say with 100% accuracy this is the shirt. Lines match and even though the hex pattern can't be seen I still say it's the same based on the lines

Attached Files:

16. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Do you have a link to that shirt Htofstead? I would be very interested in purchasing one. I have also completed the mask which looks pretty d*** good if I do say so myself
    SSPX01471.jpg
    I apologize for it being sideways

17. IndridColdx

IndridColdx Active Member

18. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Thanks Man! I have a shirt that will work for now as well as some cargo pants that look pretty good so the black suit is just about finished I will post some pictures when I can, until then I am going to start on the red outfit

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. CapKaos

CapKaos Well-Known Member

Whoa, great looking mask! Mind giving us details how you made it and what you used?

Thanks,
    Aeric

20. IndridColdx

The masks are easy to make, the only hard part is making it look legitimate. I'm still thinking a faceshell of sorts is needed to keep the shape.

I am going to be using some stiched up black Uniqlo heattech shirts

21. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

Want to save a few $$$$ search ebay. I found them there for about $5-10 cheaper and with free shipping

22. IndridColdx

Found what?

23. Htofstead

Htofstead Active Member

In sorry. The hex shirts listed above

24. IndridColdx

oh right, well I tried finding them on canadian amazon or even ebay and they are more expensive than on the official site haha

25. zacboring

zacboring Member

Just for fun, I decided to edit a picture of the suit to see what it would look like in the classic DD suit colors:

daredevil-131112 classic.jpg
    I kinda like it! Granted, my photoshop skills are lacking, but I think it would be cool.

Also, sorry if this doesn't belong here. I just felt like posting it. This was kind of my vision before they released official images of the final suit.

26. IndridColdx

I like it much better than the current suit

zacboring likes this.
  27. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

For the mask I found a pair of spandex pants that no longer fit me and cut them up....Pretty easy plus visibility is pretty d*** good!

28. Looch

Just thought I'd put this up. It's all the research I've done on the red suit so far. Fairly confident in it' IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2013.JPG s accuracy.

c4fernandez and oswaldthegreat like this.
  29. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Thank You SOOOOOOO Much for that Looch! I was hoping that someone would do a breakdown of the outfit!

30. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

That's awesome, only problem is that I can't quite tell the difference between shaded and extra shaded? Thanks though for the diagram.

31. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

As for the shaded I would just look at some reference pics and roughly guess, sorry I can't give you a better answer man

32. oswaldthegreat

oswaldthegreat Jr Member

Sure, thanks.

33. Looch

Sorry 'bout that-the extra shaded bits are the shoulder pad on the arms, the area between the D rings on the stomach, and the area with the hexagon bolt head on the strap detail.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a problem, I'll work on the pants tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a problem, I'll work on the pants tonight.

34. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Thanks Man I really appreciate it

35. Looch

Not a problem. Fabric's gon'be a b***h to find, tho.

36. Looch

37. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Yeah fabric is gonna be a pain

38. IndridColdx

What I am using for my suit is a uniqlo heattech shirt, it has some tight ribbing and is very stretchy. I'm going to ask my tailor to help me cut the fabric

39. Looch

Honestly, it looks like yard furniture fabric!

40. STARL0RD

STARL0RD Active Member

Yeah it does!

41. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

Hi folks, figure I would drop in and post over here since the other thread is giving me a headache lol.

My red suit input...

I am starting my red suit build, as in sewing, Friday night or Saturday morning. The fabric you will not find, if you do buy a lottery ticket that same day please. I spend 8 hours on the computer looking at fabrics and the only thing that matched straight from the manufacture was the reverse side of untreated Kevlar.....of course you can't just sew that. That made me cry. Really it did... I was heart broken. So I spent hours walking around fabric stores the next day just to find something I could work with and would be comfortable. One bit of advice, make sure whatever you get you can actually sew on the machine you have available for use. Really, heavy fabrics are a strain on normal sewing machines. I settled on heavy Duck Cloth. If you are not familiar with it, it is common canvas in older duffle bags. I purchased 7 yards black and classic burgundy. Regular burgundy is too dark. It may not be perfect, but it has good color and not as difficult to work with and softens as if gets older and can be washed.

Red suit boots...if they are not Nike SFBs, I will take my pair sitting at home and eat them. I have the screen shot showing the bottom of the boot and the other leg you can tell he is still wearing a boot. The sole on the previous worn boots was not the same as the red suit. (I tried to disprove it, and it does indeed seem to be Bates in black suit)

Red suit gloves.... I believe are the same Ringers gloves with a knuckle cap put on top each knuckle. No company is going to duplicate the finger guard and glove tip of another major company without waiting for a law suit. Ringers only makes 1 other glove that looks like the black suit one, (LE edition) and the knuckles are glossy. There may be somebody out there making a knock off, or they may be old Ringers....but I just can't see it. So that is my opinion and what I am going with.

Anyway, thought I would throw that out there for any food for thought for you. I am taking a break from the research until I start building the vest. I guess you can say I am burn out on it or just had one too many people on various threads take info I have provided with proof/sound reasoning and ignore it. So my next step is a build thread end of this weekend I think. Will check in occasionally and see if I can help you folks out. Just wanted to give some advice / info on this thread since it seems to have some unanswered info.

Looch, great drawings. I may need to reference them some this weekend. My screen cap images are pretty good, but some clarification from clear drawings would be much better references especially in a hurry. :)

LoganX5142 likes this.
  42. Looch

Thanks, Scouser. I'm working on the pants drawing right now, but they're a bit tricky.

43. Scouser

Scouser Active Member

There has been some talk on if the red suit is a one piece or 2 piece. Everybody I have spoken to agrees there is a vest on top, but underneath we can't figure it out. I am going 2 piece just because I can't imagine doing martial arts in a 1 piece suit that did not have any stretch to it.

Will take a look at your pants drawings as soon as I can after you post any of them and see if I see anything. Figure pants are the easiest part to start with, so if I can get them done by end of the weekend I am super happy. I have the boots already, so goal is pants and lower leg guards. Not sure what they are exactly, but look like they wrap around the whole leg. At least the arm you can see the straps.

44. Looch

I'll have the drawing up by tomrw. By the way, it is definitely a two piece outfit, pants and jacket-or three piece, based on the way the top looks, all vest-like and stuff.

45. LoganX5142

LoganX5142 New Member

Thank you guys so much for this.
    I ordered the boots and gloves today.
    I'm looking into XtremedesignsFX regarding the cowl as well as a friend in Orlando that is trying to copy and mod a Captain America helmet.
    I'm looking into making the bracers(arm guards), greaves (leg guards) and black "armor" sections out of thick leather of TerraFlex. Both from Tandy Leather.

I love the idea of duck cloth for the red and black parts of the vest. I was thinking of using a dry tech type of fabric for the "saddle section" (inseam/ crotch) of the legs.

46. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

For his red suit, have you guys considered this stuff suggested in the other thread?

Screenshot_2015-04-16-03-41-31.png

FWIW I asked the costume designer for the show and she told me the fabric they used for the red suit "was 3-D printed".

47. IndridColdx

That looks expensive...41$ for how much fabric?

48. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

Oh, it's definitely expensive ($41 per square yard) but it looks like it might be the closest stuff around to the actual suit's material in terms of accuracy. Like I said, just a suggestion. :)

49. MadeByMadden

MadeByMadden New Member

Is this cheaper?
    image.jpg
    Unless I'm missing something? Maybe you can choose different thicknesses as well

50. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

It's cheaper, but that's probably because it's only 6"x12" instead of a square yard.