Netflix - Dark props

eethan

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey there,
I've been watching Dark on Netflix, I really recommend it, haven't finished it yet, but it's very promising.
the colours are awesome, every shot is really artistic.

I've seen a few interesting props so far, here are some snapshots, found objects I'm guessing ;)
dark_01.jpg

dark_02.jpg

dark_03.jpg

dark_04.jpg

dark_05.jpg

dark_06.jpg

dark_07.jpg

dark_08.jpg

dark_09.jpg

cheers

Ha! I was waiting for someone to dig up this gem of a series!
Just finished the season yesterday and I'm in love with the series props department (and casting, and everything else, that is)!

There where SO many mindblowingly cool props I want to make now!
- the "sic mundus creatus est" door
- the "machine"
- the cave-map

...I'm can't wait to see if some of you guys pick something up from Dark!

Ha! I was waiting for someone to dig up this gem of a series!
Just finished the season yesterday and I'm in love with the series props department (and casting, and everything else, that is)!

There where SO many mindblowingly cool props I want to make now!
- the "sic mundus creatus est" door
- the "machine"
- the cave-map

...I'm can't wait to see if some of you guys pick something up from Dark!
I would LOVE to see someone tackle the machine in a 3D printed version... coolest prop I have seen in a long time.

The machine would be quite ambitious, but I'd love to see that as well!
I'm thinking about doing the hatch in clay though, does anyone have a good reference collection already?

I am thinking on trying to do the design and print the "flashlight" it with my 3D. Someone interested?( not to sell,but just for progress and stuff)

I am thinking on trying to do the design and print the "flashlight" it with my 3D. Someone interested?( not to sell,but just for progress and stuff)

Yep interested!
My girlfriend bought me the geiger counter for Christmas and we are interested in building the lamp as well. Looking forward to see how you do it. :)

I'm also interested in the flashlight, sounds cool! I'm going to be making inquiries into getting a 3D model made of the Machine. WIll let you guys know if anything pans out.

Anyone have any idea about the Stranger's black raincoat or back backpack?

Yep interested!
My girlfriend bought me the geiger counter for Christmas and we are interested in building the lamp as well. Looking forward to see how you do it. :)

I'm also interested in the flashlight, sounds cool! I'm going to be making inquiries into getting a 3D model made of the Machine. WIll let you guys know if anything pans out.

Anyone have any idea about the Stranger's black raincoat or back backpack?
Here is a 3D picture of the flashlight I made, I am currently printing , lets see what happens.

Attachments

• w1 (1).png
    w1 (1).png
    512.6 KB · Views: 947
Hey, that looks great! Will you be able to make the front frosted/transparent?

I found the suitcase used for the Time Machine, it's a Samsonite Silhouette II, 23" model, looks to be mid 70s. Based on the color of the handle in good light, I think the color is brown, but heavily grimed up so that it appears dark grey.

How about the handles for the Machine case? Is this an antique drawer pull?
drawer pull.jpg

The key to the Machine is also really cool:

Dark.S01E02.Lies.DUAL-AUDIO.GER-ENG.1080p.10bit.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv_snapshot_17.29_[201.jpg

Fellow member daedalus99 posted what the key is on the key props thread. It's a German made Jewelry Box lock.

Whole lock sets are here:
https://www.paxtonhardware.com/product/jewelry-box-locks
Any clue which of the two sets is the best size for our key?

And if you just want a key and aren't looking to build a Machine box, this is a close match.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/hafele-lock-extra-key-27d43

Both keys are described as brass plated, even though the lock thumbnail shows a silver key and the screen used looks silver as well. I guess it could be painted or have the plating stripped.

Anyone want to tackle identifying the meters/ammeters on the machine? I have looked at a bunch but not exact matches so far.

Dark.S01E09.Everything.is.Now.DUAL-AUDIO.GER-ENG.1080p.10bit.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv_snapsh.jpgDark.S01E10.Alpha.and.Omega.DUAL-AUDIO.GER-ENG.1080p.10bit.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv_snapshot.jpg

How about the round object at the base of the upper left corner(right above the meters in the 2nd photo) with 4 bolts on it? Looks almost like an old transformer or something similar, but I don't know where to start looking.

Here is a cool reel from the FX house that includes some footage of the time machine:
https://vimeo.com/247465902
Question for you guys... when we see the machine at the 30 second mark, before the CGI overlay, is that a hero? Seems likely that they would build a static one for scenes where it's not operating.

Also, I have tried re-skewing the blueprints. Just a starting point, hopefully I can clean them up from here and redraw.

blueprint reskewed cropped.jpg

Ok after much trial and error, and learning way too much about the 1980's Samsonite lineup, I think I have got the Hero suitcase:

Dark.S01E02.Lies.DUAL-AUDIO.GER-ENG.1080p.10bit.WEBRip.6CH.x265.HEVC-PSA.mkv_snapshot_16.53_[201.jpgs-l1601.jpg

It's a Samsonite Profile II 24" Traveller. I thought it was brown but the one on the right is tan, which is pretty damn close if it gets grimed up a bit. The above case seems like about an 83 so the handle is actually wrong but hopefully a luggage repair shop can switch it out with my 86 era brown Traveller(right handle, wrong color, feet broken off).

Any thoughts on the Luger on top of the case? Does it have a silver barrel or is that just a reflection?

Didn't even notice the Luger in the shot... I'm pretty shure it has a silver barrel - reflection wouldn't brighten it so uniformly.

As for the Samsonite, your's looks like a match - I'm pretty shure too, that it is even the same exact color (the shot is pretty dark and color corrected, keep in mind). It might only be grimed up a bit, like you said.

Ok guys, call it chasing the dragon but I have now bought my 3rd Samsonite. :facepalm Live and learn, but I got it right this time.

s-l1600 (2).jpg
Right color, right handle, 4 intact feet, and it comes pre-distressed.:lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back