1. Welcome to the Project Runs Forum!

This forum is intended for interest gauging and active runs. Due to the transient nature of this forum, please keep all research and ongoing discussion in one of our main forums so your information is not lost.

Only Premium Members can start a new run.

Click here for details on becoming a Premium Member.

Click here for the complete Classifieds Guidelines.

Dismiss Notice

Limited Run Netflix Daredevil canes in machined aluminum (new pics post #4)

Discussion in 'Project Runs' started by Nicksdad, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Nicksdad

Nicksdad Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So me and my partner are enjoying the new Daredevil series and decided we wanted a set of the canes for our display cabinets,
    We figured since we have the equipment in our garages we may as well make some. Problem was the limited info available for sizing and such.
    We decided to go with the 1 inch diameter since that is what the canes used in the previous movie were.
    We then poured through numerous screen caps that seemed to confuse as much as it helped.
    I think the most confusing aspect of the screen caps was differentiating between the hero and the stunt clubs.
    We finally came up with dimensions using the 1 inch assumption and were able to scale from there.
    We did a number of renders before settling on the overall look.
    After three prototypes we finally came up with something we were both very happy with.
    Now I do understand that a few others are tackling this project but I wanted mine in aluminum based on what I saw on the screen, not what others saw.
    We decided that since we are already set up for making our own I would see who else would want one.
    We haven't decided what kind of connector we are going to use, but have narrowed it down to two.
    A twist type similar to what you see on the show or threading together with larger threads to minimize number of turns to separate.
    Once we make the decision it will be the only way it will be available from us.
    The price for an aluminum machined kit is 200.00 plus 17.00 for insured priority mail.
    If you decide you want a kit, just email me at b9factory@verizon.net and you will be notified on how and when to make payment.
    The enclosed photos are of the third and final overall look prototype.
    The kits will come unfinished so you can paint it whatever color you decide.
    I will post a pic of the prototype painted with transparent red in a few days, it gives it an almost anodized look that I really like.
    The last pic is how the kit will ship, we should be able to start shipping 2 weeks after collecting payments.
    We are only going to set up for the one run, so be sure to email so I can get a good count.

netflixdaredevil1.jpg
    netflixdaredevil2.jpg
    netflixdaredevil3.jpg
    netflixdaredevil4.jpg
    netflixdaredevil5.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Talsiri and Effigey like this.
  2. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

Re: Netflix Daredevil canes in machined aluminum.

Email sent

3. spiderfan11

spiderfan11 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Re: Netflix Daredevil canes in machined aluminum.

Will send an email as soon as I get home from work!

4. Nicksdad

Here are a few pics of the kit with a quick 20 minute paint job with Testors tranparent red.
    All you will have to do with the kit is screw them together, glue on the glass eyes, and paint to liking.
    It's pretty easy and actually fun to do.

netflixdaredevil6.jpg
    netflixdaredevil7.jpg
    netflixdaredevil8.jpg
    netflixdaredevil9.jpg

5. Logan Cade

Logan Cade Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have you decided what kind of connector you are going to use to separate & connect the 2 pieces yet?
    I'm kind of waiting to order until I see what the final design will be.

6. Mr.Spider

Mr.Spider Well-Known Member

yeah i think the simple twist connector would be better than the screw fitting , IMO

7. NOMAD202

NOMAD202 Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will these be able to fly around corners and knock guns out of random thugs' hands?

Asking for a friend.

boochydog likes this.
  8. Vitus

Vitus Active Member

I'm interested.

9. Nicksdad

We are still working on the connector and I'll post an update as soon as I have something to show you guys.
    I also want the simple twist dis-connect.

VaultUK likes this.
  10. Mr.Spider

Mr.Spider Well-Known Member

Awesome news !

11. spiderfan11

Question for you: on some projects I've seen that there are 2 of the smooth red bands on the clubs, but yours only have one. Is this something we can confirm as accurate before the final product?

12. Nicksdad

Good question.
    The first prototype we made had the 2 rings on it, but we then did tons more screen grabs and we just can't confirm the second one we thought was lower to the end of the clubs.
    The upper ring is clearly there and acts as a catch for the holster.
    I was pm'ing with Rylo and he feels that there are 3 rings on it.
    So lets get some input on this from you guys, what are you seeing.
    Truth is, the screen grabs and scenes so far are really dark.

13. spiderfan11

image.jpg

Alright, I went back through that final fight and this was the best I could do. If you look, I believe you can in fact see two of those bands in this image. Now, it does look to me like one sticks out further (to hold it in the holster), but both bands are visible.

14. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I am pretty sure only the longer stick has the smooth, slightly-wider "ring", AFAIK the shorter club has a smooth ring as well but it is simply a smoothed section of the club and not a wider "catch" of any kind. I've looked at a ton of screenshots and never been able to find the wider "ring" on the shorter club.

I was also under the impression that there was only one glass eye on the combined billy club (again, located on the longer club).

15. spiderfan11

I would find it strange if the short club didn't also have that wider band since they both sit in the holster the same way.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  16. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I agree, it is super strange-- but you can see the shorter club in tons of shots and the wider band is clearly not there. Sort of mind-boggling, to be honest-- and coming from another propbuilder working on these things, very frustrating.

VCTqD6o.jpg
    This shot is him catching the shorter one after he richochet's it off a bad guy-- it is the shorter one, if the shot that happens right after he catches it is any indication:
    Daredevil_Armor_Suit.PNG

Also not visible here:
    11141483_10206313306302009_1614115475_o.jpg

Or here:
    Screen Shot 2015-04-12 at 6.55.25 PM.png

Or even here, where you can tell see there's only one wider band (on the end that is closest to the camera). Now there IS a smoothed section in the knurling-- I believe this is actually present on both clubs, more towards the lower end of each stick-- but I believe those are simply finger mark guides like you would find on a barbell or a cane for the blind, and not actually a wider band like the one that can clearly be seen on the longer stick:
    NwdyCBU.jpg

Believe me, I am totally with you-- it makes no sense for it NOT to be there. The only thing I can think of is that it is a difference between the hero and stunt clubs, but it seems like a glaring oversight considering that we never see it in any of the "moneyshots" where it is shown close-up OR when a stunt club is clearly being used.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  17. spiderfan11

When I was searching for good screen grabs, I was getting very upset that every shot of the club pretty much has his hand right over where those bands would be. Can't they just release an official shot and throw us a bone?! It's too bad they were only used for such a short time or I'm sure we'd have plenty of good shots.

JJ Griffin likes this.
  18. JJ Griffin

JJ Griffin Sr Member

I believe the suit is/was on display somewhere public for an exhibit but I have no idea where and reverse-google image search hasn't been any help.

CDpUYDkXIAAJTnI.jpg

I retract my earlier statement about the glass eyes-- pretty sure you can see two here. Good catch, Nicksdad. :)

NwdyCBU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  19. spiderfan11

If I had to guess I'd say the Arclight Cinema...but a quick search hasn't yielded anything yet.

20. Sundowner

Sundowner Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Will these be solid aluminum or hollow?

21. Nicksdad

These will be solid aluminum.

Vitus likes this.
  22. Nicksdad

OK, we have the final connector worked out.
    It takes a little bit less than half a turn to connect and disconnect.
    Basically works with a pin and groove set up.
    The o-ring was necessary to reduce the wobble when the pair is connected, works pretty well.
    We decided to offer the club set with or without the second ring towards the lower part of the grip section.
    Simply state your preference when you receive the payment info.
    Be sure to email me at b9factory@verizon.net to get on the list and receive the payment info.

daredevilfinal1.jpg
    daredevilfinal2.jpg

23. boochydog

boochydog Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

these are looking pretty sharp.

24. spiderfan11

*, now I have to make a decision :/

LukeTBD likes this.
  25. ResinEren

ResinEren New Member

Hey Nicksdad,
    I hope I'm not asking for too much, can you show me how the connectors work on your clubs? I'm confused.

26. LukeTBD

LukeTBD Member

How long will you be offering these? I want to get in on them but haven't the funds for it available for a bit.

27. Nicksdad

The run will be open until all orders have been made. Then we will move on to other projects.

28. spiderfan11

For anyone that might be able to snap some pics-- the costume and clubs are on display in LA somewhere.

29. sp1derman

sp1derman Sr Member

These are beautiful if I thought I could get away with carrying them in the UK I'd jump on this lovely work. Did you use a coupler or something different for the connector?

30. Nicksdad

Here are a few pics of the final design.
    We went through the video and caps and determined that there is indeed another band between the raised band for the holster catch and the back band.
    This is our final design and emails with payment info will be sent out.
    Just speak up if I missed ya.

daredevilfinal3.jpg
    daredevilfinal4.jpg

LukeTBD and LoganX5142 like this.
  31. spiderfan11

Payment sent!

32. spiderfan11

I just wanted to drop a line and say: holy crap!

Got the clubs today! Super fast shipping, great product and craftsmanship. If you're on the fence, get them! Can't wait to get them all painted and finished!

boochydog likes this.
  33. Spheric Thor

Spheric Thor Well-Known Member

payment sent

chris

34. Nicksdad

Glad you guys are liking them, we really spent a lot of time in development.
    Just sent out a couple more payment info's, speak up if I missed ya.

35. boochydog

hey, is it still possible to jump on this train? the pics and comments are making me want these. lmk. i will send PM as well. thanks!

36. Nicksdad

37. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

Payment sent

38. boochydog

39. boochydog

Patment sent!!! :)

40. Treeman

Treeman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow ! Just got mine in the mail, and was surprised at how tiny of a box it all fits into. THESE ARE FANTASTIC I have trained with escrima sticks, and this prop replica is a REAL weapon. They are SOOOOO Cool

made up a quickie display plate (print at 25% and you can fold over the edges into a triangle display)

Daredevil-plate.jpg

41. Nicksdad

Awesome display, thanks for sharing.

42. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

By the way, I'm throwing my support behind Nicksdad on this one. No reason for me to do a run of these when he's already done such a nice job!

Saved me the trouble and so now I get to be a customer for a change! :thumbsup

Good lookin' stuff!

-Rylo

boochydog likes this.
  43. boochydog

just got mine yesterday - inbelievably cool! just need to buy the paint and paint them. :)

44. Crimotaku

Crimotaku Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I have sent an email. No respond yet. D:

45. Treeman

Treeman Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hopefully he will respond soon. Here is my final display of these excellent prop / real weapon.

RWprops002dd.jpg

46. MiamiLoco

MiamiLoco Well-Known Member

Do you offer a painted version??

47. Jackal

Jackal Well-Known Member

Are these still being offered/ made?

48. Guardian Devil

Guardian Devil Sr Member

Been looking for one of these for my display, anybody willing to part with theirs?

49. Arcko

Arcko Member

Are these still available?

50. staticweb23

staticweb23 Active Member

Can you tell me just how long the Canes are when connected to all the parts coming with the kit?

Thank you,

Staticweb23