Nerf Scout Trooper Blaster Repaint

Call me ignorant but is there a special model number I need?
You’ll want a transistor in a TO-3 package - there are a ton of different manufacturers and part numbers that would work as the case size/shape is standardized with very mild variations in small details.

Going by the original prop photos, the transistor’s mounting tabs should have a small bevel around the cylindrical cap as in these:

C811EA84-0836-4874-BA4F-CF4030E43B17.jpeg

Some transistors with that same part number might not have that bevel, so just search for TO-3 transistors and find one that looks right to you.

Taking inspiration (and by "inspiration, I mean "direct copy") from Reel Fakes 's nozzle, I modeled up an all-in-one replacement for 3D printing.

Note: I have not tested this yet. I don't own a 3D printer so it may be some time before I can. However, anyone who wants to try it out, be my guest. I'd love to get some feedback. Also, it may have exported a funky size since I'm using poly modeling software and not CAD; it should be 49.9 mm along the long axis.

Scout_Blaster_Nozzle_OBJ_001.png

Attachments

• NERF_Scout_Trooper_Nozzle_v001.obj
    5 MB · Views: 85
Taking inspiration (and by "inspiration, I mean "direct copy") from Reel Fakes 's nozzle, I modeled up an all-in-one replacement for 3D printing.

Note: I have not tested this yet. I don't own a 3D printer so it may be some time before I can. However, anyone who wants to try it out, be my guest. I'd love to get some feedback. Also, it may have exported a funky size since I'm using poly modeling software and not CAD; it should be 49.9 mm along the long axis.

View attachment 1535667
Looks great, no 3d printer here either, so I ordered some aluminium stock to try and turn down on my drill with a file.

I’d like to order watch lens, but won’t be sure of the size I need until the toy arrives. I ended up getting it from Amazon in the end as cheaky evilbay wanted to add on customs & import charges even though the cost was lower than the threshold for these, but they take into account the postage charge on top of the product cost.

View attachment 1535667
I should have something to show you in about another hour.

Okay, so the extension of the top rail is a little small. Any noticable fit/sizing issues in hand? Is it loose or tight where it fits into the blaster?

The fit is really good as it does not wiggle front to back. But it will twist around. You will notice that on one side of the ringer piece, there is a little tab that helps lock the nozzle into position. Not a big deal as this will probably end up getting glued into place.

The only thing I think stands out for me is the nozzle. I guess it depends on which version of the real prop you use but isn't there a little transition slope or bulge at the source of the nozzle?

387610_0.jpg

Last edited:
But it will twist around. You will notice that on one side of the ringer piece, there is a little tab that helps lock the nozzle into position. Not a big deal as this will probably end up getting glued into place.

Yeah, I chose not to duplicate that part because it would a.) have been difficult to do and keep watertight with the way I modeled the nozzle, and b.) I thought it would be good to have some play in case I didn't line something up correctly. Though it looks like I got it all right, so...

The only thing I think stands out for me is the nozzle. I guess it depends on which version of the real prop you use but isn't there a little transition slope or bulge at the source of the nozzle?

I based it on Reel Fake's nozzle and didn't reference the real thing. I can see a few other things that need adjusting in the accuracy department when I do version 2.0. But accuracy aside, I like the double step.

View attachment 1535667

That looks great! A friend of mine has a 3D printer, so I'm going to see if he can print this out for me. I'd love to add it to my build. I was really scratching my head about how I was going to do this part. Thanks!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back