Nerf Gun To Sci-Fi/Destiny Inspired Prop WIP

DFC Props

Hey there!

I recently bought a used Nerf Gun, specifically a water Nerf Gun, and I plan to make a slick, weighted, and possibly lit up sci-fi gun... just looking for suggestions on what type of space weapon I should make. I was thinking of extending the front section of the gun to make it longer and put some kind of sight on top. Or maybe a scope if it's a sniper rifle. I'm definitely feeling a Destiny vibe with this gun.

I do intend to make some structural changes to the gun so it's not instantly recognizable as a Nerf product. Unfortunately, this looks like it was sitting at the bottom of a pool for a while... it's slightly discolored and the screws are completely rusted out so I can't really open it without ripping the plastic.

I'd love to hear any recommendations or ideas as I plan to share my progress.

Thanks,
Prop Rocks

(P.S. - I'm not sure if I posted this in the right thread/category... if there's one I should be posting in for this kind of project, please let me know and I'll re-post this elsewhere. Also, ignore that ads that pop up in the middle of the text if you get any)

IMG_6269.JPG

Spray some WD-40 into the screw holes and let them sit like that for a little while. The screws will break free.

Thought I'd post a quick update for anyone who was interested. I haven't done much with the gun so far... I've had some really busy days this week and didn't get to it.

I was going to try WD-40 to release some of the rusted screws, but I couldn't find the spray can. Plus, some of the screws were already stripped. I just left the whole think together and also decided to pour Plaster of Paris in the cavity where the water goes (water gun tank thingy). It's more solid, and a LOT heavier, but I wanted more weight anyway. I'm going to start the sanding tomorrow, hopefully, and get rid of some of the raised Nerf text and logos. Not sure if I should add a trigger...

I want to challenge myself to get this prop done QUICK! Or at least quicker than my other props... I generally take a while to complete them.

IMG_6272.JPG

IMG_6273.JPG

When I want to fill up a nerf gun, but not add a lot of weight, follow me on this one . . . plastic grocery bags. You can pack them in like mad, super tight, getting rid of the hollow sound, but it does not add a ton of weight.

When I want to fill up a nerf gun, but not add a lot of weight, follow me on this one . . . plastic grocery bags. You can pack them in like mad, super tight, getting rid of the hollow sound, but it does not add a ton of weight.

Woah! That's crazy... I never thought of that, but that's a great idea. I'll have to try that next time... with the plaster, I actually wanted it to be heavy to feel a little more realistic, but I will keep the plastic bags in mind. Does it make noise when it expands and moves around inside? I know you said you could pack it tight, but what about air getting trapped inside?

Usually I will push the first several bags into the reservoir with my fingers, and I can keep doing that for while, but eventually I have to use a screwdriver, or something metal to really press them in tight until they are compacted and solid. It takes a while, and it takes LOTS of bags, it's kind of a pain in the butt. Once they are packed in though, there is no noise or sound, and I'll seal them into the gun with putty, or epoxy.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back