Nerf gun paint job...

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Matsuo, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Matsuo

Matsuo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This was a straight up paint job no add on parts.

[​IMG]

There was a lot of filling and sanding. As with any toy the screw holes had to be filled in, and this particular product has a cheesy looking shield on the side that got sanded off as well as all Nerf logos and any other mfg stampings I deemed unfit for a BFG such as this.

I was going for a heavily worn and almost "cartoonish" effect, which works well given the subject matter.

The pistol got a lot of attention; I drilled out the vent holes and filled in all the screw holes. It has a two-tone black paint job, semi gloss on the grip and lower barrel unit and gunmetal on the upper portion. This thing has a nice anime feel to it.

[​IMG]

The multi launcher has a weird shape that I didn't like at all at first, but the painting really brought out the style. The logo/shield on the side was really obtrusive, I sanded it off and re scribed the panel lines.
    It has two tone black with krylon OD green shrouding. I weathered it with silver paint pen (that's right) and an ultra thin mix of flat black airbrushed for the forced shading. This technique tones down the silver scuffs and gives a really nice used look. If it gets over done I go back with the original OD in the airbrush to highlight the center of the panels...I go back and forth like that till I am satisfied with the effect.

[​IMG]

The missile launcher got the same weathering, you can see the grip pannels how I used semi gloss black over flat black to simulate rubber or plastic grips, (same on all the guns) The projectile was a real challenge...at first...it's of course foam, so I gave it a healthy dose of plasti-dip spray (black first) then I detailed it with Tamiya acrylic spray and Krylon latex spray. These paints stand up to a good deal of flexing, so far it has survived multiple impacts and shows NO sign of wear, cracking or peeling. The "launch tube" was airbrushed with Testors buffing metalizer (stainless steel) and then "smoked” at both ends, then polished.

[​IMG]

Every now and then I like doing "out of the box" projects like this just to practice some new paint techniques.

A little painting and weathering can go a long way to turn an ordinary toy into an extraordinary prop.

I've done full on custom rebuilds aplenty but these kinds of paint ups are fun, anyone else do stuff like this? I'd love to see it.

Matt

2. division 6

division 6 Master Member

As always, Awsome job.

Is that small one currently available?
    I wouldn't mind picking up one or two.

D6

3. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

So, has the second mortage, on that second house you own to display all the prop guns you make, a real pain oin the wallet, or what?? :)

Seems like you're turning out cool stuff every coupld of days Matt..

I dig the newer nerf guns, the "anime" style gun, care to shoot me a picture of it before work was done?? Because I want to go buy one. :)

Njc-------------------------

4. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Beautiful as always Matt---very realistic weathering. :thumbsup

I assume you've been testing the missle launcher on a regular basis---do the neighborhood cats flee in terror when you step out the door? :lol

Have to say, this must be the year of the NERF---several of our BBC contest entries are NERF guns, and now you're posting them.

5. weaselflinger

weaselflinger Sr Member

Those guns are kick *.

6. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Found it.
    It's a 3 in 1 system.
    $39.99
    Item # 61575
    Nerf Page

D6

7. Matsuo

Thanx for the kind words guys..

Yeah the set is a three piece so if you want the pistol you have to get the whole set.

I might get another one, some time soon. If someone else gets the set and wants to get rid of the big missile launcher drop me a line. I have some custom ideas for that one.

Matt

8. Kris

Kris Sr Member

No, but I bet the neighbours doo :D

9. Matsuo

As an aside, where I live right now is a fairly close-set neighborhood, bout a driveways width between houses...I may be moving to the country soon, so I won't really have much in the way of neighbors...as such...

I'm going to miss that wide eyed, currious, somewhat frightened look I sometimes got from my neighbors when they caught me in the back yard with a blaster or a machinegun (prop). Ergo that's why most of my pix are indoors, (on the garish red tablecloth) :p

Matt

10. (^_^)

(^_^) New Member

That pistol is awsome (^_^)

I seen those in the stores and didn't think much of them. If they were painted like that, I'd take a tripple take.

11. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Those look real nice, Matt.. :thumbsup

12. Great_Bizarro

Great_Bizarro Sr Member

Here looks to be another good candidate for mod and paint.

[​IMG]

Those are great.

13. Matsuo

Yes...indeed it is...

Regard.

[​IMG]

:D

Matt

14. punisher

punisher Sr Member

i love that bottom one, its a really fun combo of a revolver nd a shotgun :) its only $8.
    great toy,
    Scott

15. buckettt

buckettt Well-Known Member

WOW.. where have I been.. I had no idea nerf guns could look so cool>>>

I like that little hand gun

16. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Just went to TRU to see about the combo set.
    They had all the guns accept that one. :angry
    Guess I'll try Walmart tomorrow, Don't remember seeing it at Target.

D6

17. Cenobyte

Cenobyte Sr Member

I believe it is a toys r us exclusive :(

18. tommin

tommin Sr Member

They can be found at Wal-Mart. I would show mine but it's under wraps until the BBC's custom blaster contest is over.

19. amish

amish Sr Member

I am dumbfounded.. That is some seriously great work, I might have to give it a try :) Plus, painting nerf is a heck of a lot better then painting a prop, especially when I never painted anything like this before :)

Thanks for the pics.

20. gthmnyt2580

gthmnyt2580 New Member

I have two of the revolvers and i was always tempted to paint it like that....i think i just might now...that's pretty sweet.....i might have to pick up the huge combo too... :D

21. DemonFire

DemonFire Sr Member

Sweet job Matt, I saw that gun awhile ago and from the moment I saw it I knew it would make a good prop gun. Might go snagone since I got some extra cash. (IE the very last one posted) What gun is the second picture of in your first post? almost lookslike it would go with BSG.

Adam

EDIT: NM found answer in previous post

22. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan New Member

HOLY CRAP. That is incredible. I have a nerf gun. It's an automatic that fires about 16 shots i think? It has like this sliding clip in front.

How did you paint those? Is it all airbrushed work? How did you do the chipped metal paint look? Also, did you prime it first? I'm assuming you take them apart before painting?

I HAVE to do this :)

I thought nerf guns werent on sale anymore, but that pistol with the barrel is. I have to pick that up tomorrow, thats awesome.

This is the one i have. It has a clear side on one side, and a solid blue plastic side on the other. Its kind of ugly but it shoots so fast and loud it's scary. :)

[​IMG]

23. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not a nerf gun but an old Supersoaker. I didn't want to troop with a nice blaster because kids always want to hold it. I converted the supersoaker to an E-11ish blaster using only the supersoaker and a travel toothbrush cover. :D

From this...
    [​IMG]

To this...
    [​IMG]

24. Jackie_Chan_Fan

Jackie_Chan_Fan New Member

Check otu this one. :)

[​IMG]

25. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Those look like weapons from Doom 3 or Quake 4.

I should do up my double barrelled nerf shotgun.

26. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

Hey, Matsuo... do you have any before-pictures of these guns? Specifically the pistol? Thanks,
    J.

27. Galactifan

Galactifan Sr Member

Matsuo, Nerf is cool to play with, but you make Nerf cool to look at too. AWESOME...

28. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

As Always, great work.

29. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Absolutely great work Matt :).

Here's mine that I did a while back for one of the blaster contests way back when

[​IMG]

It's built on a nerf water gun and some old 70's audio cable.

Thanks to WC for hosting

-Fred

30. tommin

tommin Sr Member

I remember that one, Fred and loved it.. I hope you fellas are planning to enter this year's contest. Deadline is the fourth of September.

Matt, I don't have a Nerf gun to show right now but, would a few water guns count?

31. Matsuo

Hot Dang. I'm in love... :love

* grabs car keys...be back in a few hours* :D

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'd really like to turn this into a lively discussion and exchange of techniques on painting "toy" guns.

Gig...Awesome.

Tom...It's the thought that counts...make wit' da snapshots.

Trent..You got "the eye" that certain special something that kitbashers possess that helps us see the custom blaster beneath garishly colored plastic and goofy add ons...well played.

Sometimes I take them apart, not always.

After doing any sanding and filling I lay on a coat of black primer, inspect the finish, re-fill and sand and re-prime where nescesary..you may have to do this several times before you get to the point where you are satisfied with the "body work"

I use a combination of spray can and airbrush...whatever is needed...

For the chipped paint, I use a variety of silver, from rub'n buff to paint pens...it all depends on the level of weathering I want to emulate.

I use krylon ultra flat for the black, and krylon semi flat for the grips. I use Bondo brand black primer, for all my priming needs.

For gunmetal I use Testors buffing metalizer "gunmetal" (airbrush)

A lot of time I spray the spray can paint in a bottle (just enough for the job cuz it dries up so fast) and use it in the airbrush. Airbrushes atomize the paint to a much finer consistency...more so than normal spray cans.

To do the shading I use the primer thinned out a little to get the subtle weathering. If the paint is thin you won't put on too much and have to go back and cover mistakes with the green. But going back with the green can help you manipulate the effect even more.

Any more questions ask away.

Thanks .

Matt

32. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

Just picked up the Maverick myself..gonna try to make it look like i has Burlwood grips and a small barrel extension...BTW great thread and fantastic work guys.

33. division 6

division 6 Master Member

I picked up one of these a while ago at Target for $4.99.

I started working on it but haven't gotten to far.
    Cut out the open areas on the top and sanded off the "O"s on the pump grip.

This thread has inspired me to pull it out and work on it some more. :D

Went to a couple more stores today looking for the combo kit. No Joy.... :(
    Guess it's time to head up to Modesto to look around.

D6

34. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Nice work.

35. DemonFire

DemonFire Sr Member

Matt,

with the maverick did u take it abart to sand/paint it? Also what paint did u use I really like the paint job. Ended up getting mine today, it's been along while since I've had a nerf gun and I was playin with it all day.

Adam

36. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

T-U-T-O-R-I-A-L....

GREAT job. :thumbsup

I was only semi impressed unitl I saw what it looked like before you started. BRAVO.

thanks for letting us see it.

37. tommin

tommin Sr Member

Okay, here are a few quick, down 'n dirty, examples of what I had done with some el cheapo waterguns...

[​IMG]

[ :: Click image for larger view :: ]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Currently, I am doing something a bit more radical with one of those Nerf guns and have a question. What is the fastest, most effective way to seal and smooth out wood without a lot of fine sanding?

38. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Strange how when you see this guns in the store, unaltered, they don't look that great. But with a little work like Matt did, these turn out to be kick * wall hangers.

Great work as always Matt. You may have inspired me to haul my water guns out of storage and finally do some work on them.

39. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Oh, one more thing, now that summer is drawing to a close and school about to start, these and most other summer items should start getting marked down or delegated to the clearence shelves.

40. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

First, thanks for the compliments guys :).

Second, Tommin, how do you paint the small details on something like the red gun? do you mask them off before you spray or are they painted with a brush afterwards? If they're masked, what are you using to mask them?

Now a question to all others: When you want to fill in the screw holes but still take apart the blaster to paint it, what's the procedure? I would think that if you paint it while it's apart, then filling the holes after it's reassembled would be a pain because you'd have to go back and paint over all the holes (especially if you're using bondo to fill them).

What's a decent airbrush enamel paint to work with that doesn't require thinning down (I really don't feel like having to measure ratios of paint and thinner)? Right now, I shoot acrylics and they clean up fairly easily, so what would I need for enamels?

Thanks,
    Fred

41. casey

casey New Member

whats the ratio of paint to thinner to get the smoky/shadow effect on that?

42. tommin

tommin Sr Member

I've always put mine back together before filling the holes. I guess it depends on the type of blaster you are making. One method of getting around that mess is something I call balloon masking...

[​IMG]

This keeps the inside surfaces blacked out while the outside is painted another color.

[​IMG]

Other than that, you could always fill the holes first and then glue the parts back together. Dunno, that's a good question.

43. casey

casey New Member

ha we posted at the same time so you missed my question.

44. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great work, guys. I need to pay more attention in the Nerf ailse.

45. darth_sayder

darth_sayder New Member

Incredible paint jobs, I have seen most of these in the stores, and would not have thought of painting them to look Battle ready.

46. Matsuo

Casey, the ratio of paint to thinner for the smoked or blast effect varies. Depending on what type of paint you use. I have used anywhere from half and half thiner to paint to 75% thinner to paint...Paint opacities vary from brand to brand. I use a low pressure in my airprush for up close work..or high pressure from a greater distance for a general dirtying up of the parts in question.

M

47. SWFreak

SWFreak Well-Known Member

Here's a nerf gun that I used to make my Wife's Mara Jade pistol

Before
    [​IMG]

I ended up gutting most of the gun and shorting it.

Construction stage with some bondo.
    [​IMG]

Painted with flat black paint and weathered with silver rub-n-buff
    Finished product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
    Maryfoxfirebird likes this.
  48. Matsuo

Ohhh perty...Perfect Mara blaster.

Thats most likely my next one, as it's the only one I can find left in the stores.. :unsure

I'm still looking for another one of the "BFG" set...

Matt

49. wynnstudio

wynnstudio Active Member

cool work SWFreak. I'm working on one too. The dart holders in the front are the same size as mini mag flashlights.

wynnstudio

50. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Matsuo, I'm going to look for that set, as I really dig that pistol, so chances are you'll get your extra BFG. ;)