NeoRutty's Prop Projects - I love Lamp.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by NeoRutty, Oct 2, 2014.

1. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

My fireplace mantle and work area are now COVERED in Lightsaber parts. I've been collecting parts for a while now, and am finally putting them all together, with the goal of a complete collection of O.T. sabers. It's gotten away from me a bit though. I mean you gotta have AFBB versions... weathered versions... variants of different screen used... and I haven't even tinkered with electronics. But before this gets completely out of hand, I need to finish what's on my plate. So figured I'd do a thread on it...

Anyway, some quick background! It all started with an art show...

A gallery in Vancouver contacted me and my wife to submit art for a Star Wars/Star Trek art show taking place a few weeks later. My wife decided to crochet some characters, and I, not feeling up to painting or inking anything, decided I would make a lightsaber. I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and while I watched the O.T. regularly , I never really looked too closely at the props.

I knew NOTHING about lightsabers, aside from them looking something like flashlights. So I looked up pics online and found the RPF. I joined and discovered "hardware builds". I was liking how they looked, so I went down to Home Depot with a bunch of pictures of lightsabers (with no idea who's was who's) and looked for parts to make something that could be one of the family.

I finished it, patted myself on the back, and then dropped it off for the show.

This was that rather embarrassing, clearly home depot, first saber...

[​IMG]

But I was hooked... and also being between work contracts at the time, had more than enough time to read up on everything to do with lightsaber props.

Even though between contracts, I still started hunting graflex's and various other parts I would need to complete my new quest... collect ALL the O.T. lightsabers (it's good to have goals when between contracts and going stir crazy).

Well it's now a year and a half later, and I have a pile of unfinished sabers, and a wife who's wishing she never said “yeah! You should look into doing a lightsaber!”

Anyway, time to get at em! I have some sabers that need just a bit of finishing, and others that will need a lot of work... Some I'm still looking for parts.

So far the only two I would say are COMPLETE are Luke's Star Wars Holiday Special saber, and the scratch build of the Vader ROTJ MOM saber (my favorite - so you will see multiple show up in this threads future.)

[​IMG]

I'm aware the Holiday Special isn't O.T., but then neither is the yoda that I'm finishing up... there will be a few exceptions (cue the wife with “How many of these are there?! I thought you said SEVEN!”)

So first up on the block is the saber you probably aren't very familiar with...

LUKE ANH!

[​IMG]

This is the graflex I'm working with for this saber... I have one that is quite a bit more beat up, but I'm gonna ESB Luke that one. This one is as close to pristine as I could find without paying 300+ bucks.

I took my graflex to my friend who has a GREAT workshop, with all the tools I don't have because I live in a tiny condo that I can barely fit a dremel into. Though I've had this graflex for over a year, I actually spent most of that time hmmming and hawwwwing over what D-ring clip to use. I went for the one I got off a member earlier this year, cut a piece of wood to support the back (at Chaim's recommendation) and finally put a hole in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Riveting that ring on was the most satisfying thing yet.

[​IMG]

Last night I cut up my Gino tracks, sanded down the edges, and tonight will pull out my Exactra 19 and get a look a that bubblestrip.

More to come! Lots more...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH

That's it ... you're hooked for life ... muahhahaa ... looking good though and I was gonna send you a link to an MPP ... but within the last hour the price in £'s quadrupled :wacko

Chaim

3. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It such an awesome feeling to complete such an iconic lightsaber.

Looking forward to seeing this one finished, I never get tired of projects like this.

4. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

I both equally hate and need that holiday special saber... * you sir!!!

Seriously, lookin and sounding great on your builds!

I need to accurize my ANH a bit, and finish my ESB Luke...

Need some Gino track before it's all gone!

5. spoudastis

spoudastis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looking good neo. The d-ring looks like a scuba one I picked up, pretty nice shape to it.

6. NeoRutty

I WILL need to do Vader's from the trilogy (other than the MOM version) but I think I'll go down the replica route... who ever does the closest (parks?). The prices are just a bit crazy for a saber I'm not THAT crazy about, and always have the innacurate 2 step when they do show up on Ebay.

Ha, good... I was hesitant on even doing a thread of these sabers since it's such a been there, done that... but at the same time, I have a few I may have questions on, and may as well keep them in the same place.

Thanks! Yeah strangely, when someone is not in the know on sabers, they always pick up the holiday one first. I think it just looks more cartoony than the others. ESB will be coming up, but not decided on screws yet (though pretty sure I WILL do screws).

Thanks... I should look up the member who sourced it for me. WAY better than the ones I found at shops around here.

7. NeoRutty

Interesting...

So I DID crack open the two exactra's I have last night... one a 19, one a 20... The 19 is for the graflex, and the 20 for my "Holy Grail" saber... coming up.

[​IMG]

On a totally nerdy side, I was actually kind stoked to see the real strips. I have replicas in place in some sabers now, but these seemed to shine more... almost like a light opened above them and shone down on them as I unscrewed the case. Ha.

[​IMG]

I showed my wife, and she looked at me like a kid asking her to look at the amazing rock I found in the garden outside. Pfft. fine.

[​IMG]

Anyway... the 19 is clear and the 20 is frosted. Does anyone know whether the original was frosted or clear? It obviously doesn't matter that much, and I'd be shocked if somehow someone DID find out...

I used an exacto blade to slice off the plastic keeping it pegged to the board, and pulled them off. I wanted to start sawing off the ends, but it was late, and figured I'd do it in the light of day (my condo has bad lighting and always looks really dark - it's like working in an apartment from a Fincher movie)

[​IMG]

I put the screws in a little glass jar, in case I want to used them to put the grips on my ESB (coming up!), but I may just find screws that are in the same family... these are slightly different sizes... two are grey, two are brown...

Next up, finishing the strips without scratching them toooo much (cuz I can't find novus 2 in Canada!) and gluing on the grips.

Andymac84 and Romans Empire like this.
  8. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hahaha yeah I know the feeling, matey when seeing those Exactra bubbles for the very first time ... looks rather good ... the frosted version can be seen in DV ROTJ MPP lightsaber ... so I'd use the clear version for Luke's ANH ;) . . . and I purchased Novus #1, 2 and #3 in a nice 3 bottle 8 FL OZ set . . . via ebay :)

Chaim

9. Edraven99

Edraven99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ok... you're starting to make me look bad... now I *really* have to do something with my ESB build lol.... nice work... I'm going to have to come to you for some pointers pretty soon!

10. NeoRutty

Onto the bubbles!

[​IMG]

So I followed an old thread by Clutch, and started off with taping up the back of the bubbles.

[​IMG]

I then got my miter saw (A GREAT INVESTMENT - use it all the time) and sawed off the ends.

[​IMG]

I took a medium sandpaper and sanded down the edges, until it easily slid in. No problems!

LIES! It got stuck. STUCK GOOD. I could NOT budge it out by hand. I ended up wrapping the clamp in cloth, putting a rag between the bubble strip and a screwdriver, and lightly hammered it out... it actually took a LOT to get it out again.

[​IMG]

I then sanded it EVER so slightly, and now it sliiiiides nicely in. but of course it's kind of loose.

So the question to you ANH Luke Graflex guys is: What are the tricks you're using to keep it locked in? I have some ideas, but maybe there's a simple solution I'm missing.

Bubbles are nice and scratch free, and if I ever get me some novus, I'll likely touch up the ends and the sides where I sanded.

11. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I queried this, really not sure if its genuine or not.

The owner told me that there are no serial numbers anywhere. And that the letters B E S E, are engraved. The inside is very clean with a battery contact point at the far end and a spring set into the removable end??

12. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi Marv,

There are early or perhaps even later MPP's that have no serial number ... also this one up for auction seems to have rectangular black sidebars and the top screw is exactly in the center of the shroud ... as for the removable part I suspect he means the endcap ... my clean endcap has a spring inside ;) ... also the fonts used on the MPP name-plate are different from the ones I have here still that doesn't mean it's not genuine ... to clue is in the clamp ... you can clearly see how the lever scraped against the paint and left a half circle marking ... only vintage MPP's I have seen sofar have that same marking from usage as a flashgun. As for the engraving of the letters ... I'm not sure ... mine are engraved I believe or perhaps stamped if that's the difference you mean though the letters do contain paint residu ... black and red 'S'. Happy bidding should you decide to go for it near the end :)

Chaim

13. scottjua

scottjua Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

On loose bubble strip; I put a SMALL strip of clear packing tape on one edge of the lens..that can't be seen and it shims up the gap nicely.

14. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just seen what that went for!!! May have to sell my spare its the same as that one!

15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Wow ... it went over $1000 for a genuine MPP ... it's been a while ... mine was far less ... a good investment if I ever decide to sell :wacko

Chaim

16. NeoRutty

Yup that MPP sale is nuts.

As I finish up the ones I have CURRENTLY on the go, I'll have to figure what to do about Vader ANH and ESB... I figure it'll be a Parks or whomever is making the closest. I've never been big on either of those sabers, so spendingover $1000 is not even an option...

I do spend a lot of time hunting flea markets and such, so there's always the dream of coming across an mpp there, ha. Saddly, the closest I ever got was a Graflite.

Didn't get much of anything done this weekend... but will hopefully get the grips on tonight.

[​IMG]

To prep for it, I polished up the hilt with some metal cleaner, since this is to as close to fresh off the saber production line as I can get.

I also cleaned up a replica back end I got as part of a bits and pieces buy a while back... already pre-drilled for an ESB or Vader MOM ROTJ. I will be using it for my MOM ROTJ, which is still further down the line for finishing up.

thd9791 likes this.
  17. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

I just wonder if Luke ever took such great care on his lightsaber as some of you do with polishing and prepping and so on :facepalm now just slab some grips on there ... without any additional help then the Toe-Picture, just as the old propmakers did a long time ago ... in this galaxy :

[​IMG]

... I dare you ;)

Chaim

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Solos blaster likes this.
  18. Edraven99

I feel like I stole mine now... wow... fortune really does favor fools sometimes :$

19. NeoRutty

don't you worry, my ESB will be quite beat up... ;)

20. Edraven99

Heh... I'm using the most pristine Graflex I have for my ESB build ;)

21. NeoRutty

Well I DO have a nice and shiny Graflex I was going to use for an ESB... but then I figured I'd hold off and see what the next movies and the side movies have in store... may want it for something else. heh

I also have a beat up MOM ROTJ Vader saber to weather up, and one I'm hunting for parts to finish, that would be as close to new as I can get.

I'm always turn between my love of the weathered look, and my need to restore old beat up stuff.

I think it started with the Stalone movie, Lock Up, where they restored the classic mustang.... and I'm an "American Restoration" fan as well (the builds... not the fake drama)

22. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LOVE this thread, nice work on those bubble strips. I take it you went for the "slid under the sidebars" rather than the "pinched between" thing. Also, cheers to the mitre saw, I need to get one of those. I'll be watching!!!

23. NeoRutty

Yeah I placed them the other way, but it bugged me. Even if it is correct that way (clamped between), which it very well may be, it looked wrong when I did it. I'm actually surprised that the prop guys, who so nicely fit other pieces under the clamp edges (ESB card for example), that they wouldn't just sand it down so it fit nicely. It just seems so obvious a decision to make, and only took me like 5 minutes.

So maybe I'll grab another exactra down the line, and have it aside as a switch-out option, to give my picky brain a rest...

As for those grips... I have a BUNCH of stuff to do right now, but my family whines and complains every time I use glue, chemicals or anything stinky (I don't have a sense of smell... so nothing bothers me), so I have to wait until they are out of the condo to do anything. I would just do it on the deck, but there is no light, and it's dark by the time I get home.

OH FOR A GARAGE!!!

24. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Great build! I'm looking forward to seeing your ESB.. I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced folmer to pop up so I can get started on mine.

25. NeoRutty

Hmm is that to say the ESB was for sure a "Folmer" stamped end? Didn't look that closely into it... not even sure what mine says, heh.

Not worried about it though. I'm picky, but not that picky I guess, heh.

*I should note I JUST fell down the rabbit hole of threads on the Folmer/non Folmer Graflex's... head spinning... oh well, doesn't change anything! onward!"

ESB I THINK is 5th up... I'm going to hunt down screws pretty quick here, then get it drilled up when I'm next at my buddy's place in Seattle. I was going to use Exactra screws, but the 4 I have are two different sizes. So I figured, screw it (pun) and just find what's CLOSE and finally lock it down.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Curmudgeon likes this.
  26. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

As for those screws I may have a very quick and dirty solution ... since my DVD player jammed ... I popped in a VHS in my VCR ... and when the machine spit it out I checked the tape inside and whilest turning the bottom up ... I noticed some 5 black x screws are holding the plastic case together ... so you may want to check that out . . . find 2 VHS tapes around the studio and just use those screws instead, they are about the same diameter as the Exactra screws ;)

Chaim

27. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Yeah this one certainly gives me a headache sometimes.. I'm not dead set on using a folmer but I've seen some go for a decent price so I figure I'll hold out a bit until I'm really ready to start.

28. NeoRutty

V...H...S?

ha... it would actually be hard to find any around here, if not impossible, but I believe I have a box of old demo reels I never handed out on the ol' VHS tapes in storage...

Definitely may be something to check out... nice call.

29. Jedi Reali

Jedi Reali Sr Member

Just ran a search and discovered the discussion you're talking about... Crap! My bottom tube is wrong! Curse you perfectionist in me! :wacko

30. NeoRutty

seems to me that may just be getting a bit out of control... plus, there were more than one... I doubt they were all folmer graflex....

31. Jedi Reali

Jedi Reali Sr Member

True true. I don't think I'd care as much if it didn't get a close up in the Wampa cave.

32. NeoRutty

My family left me in the condo by myself for a few hours, so I finally got to drag out the epoxy and stink up the place... Even doing it with the windows open they still came home to "Ugh what's that smell?!"

So nothing too exciting... just glued on the tracks with 2 part epoxy...

[​IMG]

After the epoxy dried, and I took a look at the grips, I found that even being a hair of a millimeter off, the tracks can look like crap... I know it shouldn't matter, that the prop guys probably didn't care about a hair off, but as a guy who spent 8 years cleaning up animation, I get kinda nitpicky about these things.

So I ended up messing around with them for a good hour. I can see why the ended up * them down for ESB... with just a little force, I can still pop these off pretty easy.

Anyway, as an aside, I got these little rubber bands from my kid, and ran them inside the clamp grips to hold the bubbles straight. Worked perfectly.

[​IMG]

So finally the Luke ANH saber is done. Yeah it's a simple project, but it's still great to have done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the new FINISHED group shot...

[​IMG]

Obviously more to come...

Next up I try to save a pretty crappy Vader ROTJ MOM Saber...

Shrubpig, thd9791, Jedi Reali and 3 others like this.
  33. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - Luke ANH COMPLETE

Very nice ... well done indeed ... :)

Chaim

NeoRutty likes this.
  34. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks perfect.

NeoRutty likes this.
  35. Pedro

Pedro Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

NeoRutty likes this.
  36. BobasBounty

BobasBounty Well-Known Member

Very nice collection.

NeoRutty likes this.
  37. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOOT...nicely done man. keep the sabers coming ;)

Markus

NeoRutty likes this.
  38. NeoRutty

The entire build thread for this Bolsey project can be found here:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/complete-...lsey-flash-build-191987/?highlight=ed209+yoda

Okay so I know the Yoda saber isn't exactly "O.T." but I made an exception for it once I found it was built on a vintage flash (well ED209's Praco original version anyway). I had built this one a while back but because it was on the mirrored Bolsey, rather than a Praco flash, the screw at the top near the shroud was wrong.

This is the Praco version with it's brass screw:

[​IMG]

That was the one that came with the flash... so the idea was to find a similair one to match...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried out a few different screws to get one that matched... and while I never found one EXACT, I did finally get one that looked close enough for this flash.

[​IMG]

The thread section was crazy wide, so I had to drill the hole near the top to accommodate, and then epoxy in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does it match the original? Not really...it's obviously a little tall, but everything on this Bolsey is slightly off, so I'm okay with it... it's all slightly off in a good way. :D

I'll be a little pickier when I get around to a Praco version. I have been collecting parts, but I have yet to see an actual Praco flash turn up anywhere... and of course we still don't know where that oil pan is from.

[​IMG]

Either way, my not-quite-accurate Bolsey Yoda is what I would consider COMPLETE so I can now add it to the line up!

Next I'll get back to O.T. sabers...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    canister and mvanwalks421 like this.
  39. mvanwalks421

mvanwalks421 Active Member

Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - Yoda Bolsey (I know... not O.T.)

That yoda lightsaber looks beautiful when it's not CGI

NeoRutty likes this.
  40. Edraven99

Very nicely done! I just got my set of t-tracks from Gino so hopefully I'll have some completed build to show off soon as well! (That and hit you up for some finishing tips ;-))

41. NeoRutty

Yeah the replica version based on the CGI version just doesn't appeal to me. It's a neat design when it looked a little more cobbled together...

One thing I will say right off with the Gino grips... Be really accurate that they are the same length. My first pass I was less worried, and there were a couple that were off by a hair. I glued them on and as I held the saber and turned it in my hand, it was VERY obvious some were shorter (even by half a millimeter). I spent years as a clean up artist for Dreamworks animation, and being a hair off on your line would get your work sent back, so I learned to get really picky.

Now when it came to the grips, I just couldn't let the difference go... I pulled them off, checked the lengths, fixed and re-glued them. I'll be more careful next time.

Some say "Oh the guys who were doing the props would be less picky"... but I dunno... they are still craftsman. The artists at the studio I work at are always under the gun, but they still get ridiculously picky... it's their reputation on the line.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  42. NeoRutty

Up next... Another Vader MOM ROTJ...

Back when I was searching for a kit to add to a graflex, a guy on the forum sold me a big box of parts he was collecting to do the same conversion. Unfortunately, the parts were an older kit that were a bit inaccurate, and were on a aluminum pipe. I didn't realize how inaccurate until I got it in front of me. The set did have a bunch of accurate parts as well, that I will be using on another saber, if I can find the missing pieces *shroud* cough *shroud* -anyone have one, PM ME!!!!

This was the saber as I got it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess it's supposed to look weathered, but it actually just looks kinda crappy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    There's glue and grime everywhere. No sith would ever let it get like this :(. I don't like how it looks at all, so I figure I'll do my best to clean it up, repaint it, and swap out some of the inaccurate pieces with extras I have in my parts box.

[​IMG]

I pulled off the shroud, box, grips, and took out all the bolts. The bar itself is pretty dirty and dented. Not in a nice way... it looks crap. If I had a lathe I'd just spin it and take some sandpaper to it... but I don't, so I guess I'll be doing this by hand.

43. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects -Vader ROTJ MOM

Nice saber in progress .... on an unrelated note ... may I inquire why you have the dutch books by the master artist Rien Poortvliet on your bookshelf?

Chaim

44. NeoRutty

Funny, when I posted that pic I noticed them in the BG... Figured you may pick them out!

My grandfather (Dutch) was big into drawing/painting and I would teach me out of those books (I was big on "BRAAF"). When he died I grabbed them all, since no one else in my family had any interest in them.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  45. NeoRutty

So I stripped the paint off the parts, and using a fine grit sandpaper, cleaned the aluminum pipe.

Here's a shot with all the parts on, paint free. Looks kinda cool.

[​IMG]

I switched out the ball latch, and got a more accurate thumbscrew for the shroud. I cleaned the old glue and dirt off the grips as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grips are just lightly stuck on for this pic... so yeah, they're crooked. I'll put them on properly when done.

[​IMG]

After fighting with keeping this as an unpainted version (I liked it that much), I finally just started painting up the parts.

[​IMG]

And here's the old ball latch with the more accurate.

[​IMG]

After getting this cleaned up and closer to put back together, I'm starting to see a decent Vader MOM in this thing.

Maybe I'll keep it... hm.

thd9791 and mvanwalks421 like this.
  46. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Great progress ... indeed :)

Chaim

47. NeoRutty

Here is the thumbscrew I swapped out... The one on the left is the new one I picked up from The Custom Saber Shop

[​IMG]

While this DID come with a D-Ring holder for the front emitter, I decided to keep it for a different Vader MOM (graflex build) so had to come up with one of my own using styrene

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the original saber, there is a disk covering the front, with a metal piece sticking out (once the blade holder, I believe). This isn't quite accurate, and I want to keep this easy, so I found a washer I can paint up and epoxy in place.

[​IMG]

I'm going to have to forget about the "H" on the front end. This is just too thick to cut through with the tools I have.

[​IMG]

Like with my scratch built, I'll likely just dremel a bolt to the right length and use that as the emitter.

Still have to figure a way to add a replica kobold D-ring clip to the back... since this base is solid aluminum, and the holes drilled in the back aren't to the right spacing to use for the clip I have, I may just have to epoxy it on.

48. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Perhaps you could just use one of the holes drilled in the body to attach your Kobold clip into and then epoxy a rivet through the Kobold hole that's left over? Best of both worlds I'd say ;)

Chaim

49. NeoRutty

I'm thinking something like that... I have an epoxy that talks like you can glue two cars together, so I'm hoping I can get away with punching two rivets in the kobold clip, then just epoxy it in place... I can't actually rivet it through a hole in the hilt, because it's SOLID aluminum, where the pre drilled hold doesn't have anything to grab onto. But I'm hoping I can epoxy the end of one of the pre punched rivets into the hole for extra hold.

It'll make more sense when I put up pics.

50. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Yeah ... I see what you mean ... solid ... so that's a mighty hefty lightsaber at the back then? Don't forget to cut a bladeholder unevenly like the original :

[​IMG]

Chaim

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    thd9791 likes this.