Need your input on IM helmet scale

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by FWBulldog, May 9, 2012.

1. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

I just finished building the Sharkman tester helmet, and was hoping you could help me figure out whether or not the scale is right for my head. I built the default scale (I think it's h:262mm).

Is this too big?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. davy

davy Well-Known Member

i think it is ok .

3. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

I think it could be scaled down a little bit.

4. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

5%? 10%?

I think it needs to be scaled down a bit, but not quite sure how much. Only takes about two hours to cut and pep a tester, so not a huge deal.

5. chosetec

chosetec New Member

I think you should make it as small as possible while still fitting your head.

I get the feeling that in the movie, they use "movie magic" so that the Iron man has longer legs and arms than would the actual actor, but since you can't stretch your arms and legs like that, the best solution is to shrink the helmet.

6. Indigogyre

Indigogyre Well-Known Member

I am guessing you could easily scale it down by ten percent.

7. jrhaake

jrhaake Member

You could scale it down a bit, but keep in mind that you have to fit other components in that bucket other than your mellon. LEDs for the eyes take up space, and if you plan on an opening face plate, the hinge system needs to have room too. You can always develop a padding system to help it fit snug after the fact.

8. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

This is the Sharkman scaled at %95. I think it might be too tight for hinges, but it seems to fit just right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(yes, I know the back isn't finished :))

9. rasco1985

rasco1985 New Member

Nice build so far. Word of advice from what i have read around the forum no need to put time into the eyes as you are going to end up cutting them out anyways later during the bondo part.

10. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

Gack, bummer. Got the lid fully resined, got a layer of glass on the inside, cut the back section out and realized its too * small.

Sigh. I did not account for the fact that the ear pieces are concave. Apparently they flexed enough before the resin, but when hardened they smash my head.

So, here I go again. Imma finish this helmet, if only out of pride.

Where's my fresh blades? Diving in ......

11. DMsPockets

DMsPockets New Member

Good luck with the resize, I too am in the midst of building an IM helmet, needless to say its too small but i will finish it off anyway then start on a new one. Looking fwd to seeing some finished pictures!

12. MightyJohn

MightyJohn Active Member

I've noticed that the width of your head determines the size of the helmet.
    Take 2 big books and stand them up on a table. Stick your head between them (ear to ear) and measure the distance between.

Here is how my sharkmark's turned out (1 layer of figerglass mat):
    default size: fits up to 6 1/4" across (ear to ear) after fiberglassing and hinges.
    110% size: fits up to 7" across (ear to ear) after fiberglassing and hinges.

with those 2 numbers, I'm guessing you can do a ratio to get the size you like.

Hope this helps.

13. FWBulldog

FWBulldog Member

MightyJohn. Thanks for the specifics. I've just finished the default scale faceplate. I measures my head, and it's 7". So I'll prob have to abandon the default scale pep (again) and scale up to 1.05. The cool new tool in Designer lets you measure between two points, and the inside ear cups are 6.998 inches at x1.05.

They say you hardly learn anything the second time you get kicked by a mule, but I can say the third time pepping the Sharkman I'm def getting better.

I got so frustrated I ordered a silhouette cameo. The cutting time is killing me, hunched over a table. In this particular case I have more money than time. So I'm hoping the cameo pays for itself pretty quickly.

Should be ready for your hinge kit early next week.

14. Governor

Governor Member

When sizing my helmet/bucket I realised this issue and scaled up my helmet slightly - BUT - instead of resizing and redoing it maybe think about fixing the ear pieces/* :) to the bucket and then cutting out the concave bit and that should hopefully allow a better fit - getting it on and off may be a squeeze though.

15. MightyJohn

MightyJohn Active Member

Cool, I think I need to download the new version.

However, that distance references to a perfectly shaped 2D plane object. It doesn't account for slight deforming of the cardstock or fiberglass thickness.

16. Whetstone

Whetstone New Member

Just a quick warning. You might get a little shrinkage with the resin, even though it says no shrinkage on the resin able. But the way i look at it it just fun to do regarless how it turns out if in the end the size is to tight I am sure you have a friend with a a smaller head that would love a helmet. Plus the second build is always better than the first one. never assume that your first try will be perfect. Anyway just want to say your doing a good job.