Need tips for weathering Indiana Jones Golden Idol statue

DARTH SABER

Master Member
Hey all!
Been meaning to weather my gold plated Idol but wanted to do some research and get some tips on the process.

The idol is just too shiny and too bright right now.
I want to dull down the shine and darken the gold color a bit and add darkened areas in the crevasses and maybe some verdigrass.

Any tips or techniques for accomplishing this?

Thanks!

Light, light wait sanding with 2000 or 3000 sand paper to dull down the shine and a black wash for adding darkening in some areas....

Well, if you're going for realism, and you're going along with the general consensus that the idol is indeed gold, you have to decide for yourself what you think the purity of the gold would be. Lower karat gold that has been alloyed with other base metals will oxidize and tarnish (brown/black). Pure 24 karat gold cannot tarnish since it doesn't combine with oxygen very easily.

Verdigris only occurs with copper and copper alloys (brass, bronze).

I believe Relicmaker uses Testors Dullcote on his weathered idols - only a dusting:

Raiders idol.jpg

I've always preferred to use artist's oil paints thinned with turpenoid for weathering - obviously they don't dry as quickly as acrylics, so that means you have a lot more working time and can blend them out much more easily and get some more subtle effects (wiping them off, building up layers, etc.)

I found this pic on Etsy and i just love the weathering this guy did.
Trying to do something similar.
Im fairly certain he used dull coat and some kind of acrylic but Im trying to figure out how he applies it. The application of whatever he used to dsrken the overal color of the gold is very even a balanced.
Brushes and sponges dont seem to work though.

Attachments

• A98DA5E1-99C8-4147-AE04-6EF89C0DA405.jpeg
    A98DA5E1-99C8-4147-AE04-6EF89C0DA405.jpeg
    571.1 KB · Views: 113
VanOaks Props has several "how-to's" for doing verdigris.

To be more to the point, Veridgirs is not really the issue.
Im actually looking for a way to darken the overall gold just a bit.

I tried tests with acrylics which seems to darken nicely but the application process left border line edges which clearly make look like it was applied rather than a natural weathering.

I've only lightly weathered mine with Winsor & Newton burnt umber oil
The color blends beautifully with the gold and does slightly darken it depending on how heavy your application (see inside the mouth and hair lines)
Oils will definitely give a nicer finish and very forgiving to work with.
Will be adding a light misting of testors dull coat eventually once i sort the eyes out properly
IMG_0694.JPG
Thinking i might give it a light dusting of fullers earth too

Humbrol makes great weathering powders. I know they have a chrome oxide if you want that Bronze effect. I tend to dab the area with a wash colour from Vallejo and apply the powder to stick it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back