Need Raptor claw screencap or pic

Fetthunter

Sr Member
Does anyone have a pic or screencap of Dr. Grant holding the Raptor claw from the dig scene at the beginning of Jurassic Park?

My PC DVD player has gone wonky on me. :(

Thanks for the help. :D

You bet.

jpc1.jpg

jpc2.jpg

jpc3.jpg

jpc4.jpg

jpc5.jpg

I think this is from a Profiles in History auction:

jpc6.jpg

-Mike

MANY thanks. Just what I needed. :thumbsup

Amazing how little the repro claws look like the screen-used claw.

Take this Icons claw for example:

claw1.jpg

In fact, most of the ones that I've seen for sale more closely resemble the Icons-type claw and less the "real" one. :confused

Anyway, thanks again. :D

Originally posted by allosaur176+Jan 24 2006, 10:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(allosaur176 @ Jan 24 2006, 10:18 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Fetthunter
@Jan 24 2006, 11:16 PM
MANY thanks.  Just what I needed.  :thumbsup
[snapback]1167364[/snapback]​

and just what exactly are you planning my friend??? :)
[snapback]1167367[/snapback]​
[/b]

After looking at a ton of dinosaur websites with "real" Velociraptor and Utahraptor claws over the past week, I sculpted my own "idealized" version of a "real" raptor claw. I wanted one that would merge the characteristics of the Velociraptor and the Utahraptor claws.

Here's the unpainted and unfinished result:

DSCF1676a.jpg

And here's a version of the pic with the contrast bumped up to make the details stand out better:

DSCF1676b.jpg

As you can see, and as I now know, it looks •nothing• like the screen-used bersion. :unsure

Looks like I'm going to have to sculpt another one now. :rolleyes

But, now I have great reference pics. :D

icons claw.... from my days in school, look more realistic in regards to known records than the movie ones, i made my own based or recorded finds, and it looks similar ro the icons one...... they probably used a dino book to base thiers off of

much like fett hunters, which is a good job for accurate...good job

well, the Icons version was supossedly taken from the molds of the actual raptor claw, "the living version", which is what they were going for, not the fossilized version as seen held by Grant.... The just put in on the base that resembled the montana fossil bed

Originally posted by mez7@Jan 24 2006, 11:13 PM
icons claw.... from my days in school, look more realistic in regards to known records than the movie ones, i made my own based or recorded finds, and it looks similar ro the icons one......  they probably used a dino book to base thiers off of

much like fett hunters, which is a good job for accurate...good job
[snapback]1167416[/snapback]​

Thanks for the compliment. :D

Yeah, I've looked at so many different types of (real) raptor claws in the past week that I'm a bit wacky. :confused

I read up on the Utahraptor, and it sounded impressive in comparison to the Velociraptor, though they had similar characteristics... Hopefully my claw represents both dinosaurs equally well. :)

Now, I have to decide on whether or not to do the "fossilized" version from the movie. Was it black in the movie because it wasn't fossilized bone, but instead was fossilized tissue? I'm guessing that there was no "bone" in the claw, and that it was purely hardened tissue, much like a fingernail or rhino horn (which is made of hair) would be after being fossilized? :confused

Off to do more research... :D

I think the entire skeleton they were excavating was black / gray.

It's likely that two separate groups were working on the claws: Stan Winston's guys on the 'live' dinos, and somebody else in the props / set dressing (incidentally including the skeletons).

-Mike

Originally posted by Fetthunter@Jan 25 2006, 01:36 AM

Now, I have to decide on whether or not to do the "fossilized" version from the movie.  Was it black in the movie because it wasn't fossilized bone, but instead was fossilized tissue?  I'm guessing that there was no "bone" in the claw, and that it was purely hardened tissue, much like a fingernail or rhino horn (which is made of hair) would be after being fossilized?  :confused

[snapback]1167487[/snapback]​

The color of the remains are that of the sediments that replaced the bones.. Depending on the conditions of which it was buried, you get everything from plain old fossilized bones, to well preserved skin impressions... The claws of any animal will feel like bone, even though they are not, that being said, claws,horns,etc can be easily preserved

Originally posted by PHArchivist@Jan 25 2006, 09:08 PM
Here's one I cranked out a year or two ago after losing the auction on the screen-used piece. Sculpted it out of Sculpy...
[snapback]1168307[/snapback]​

That's a nice claw. That's the version I'll have to make next. ;)

And thanks for the info, guys. :D

Originally posted by allosaur176@Jan 27 2006, 02:29 AM
Nice scult Rob......  It just needs to be weathered a bit, and it would look spot on    :thumbsup
[snapback]1169222[/snapback]​

Thanks my friend. Yeah, the finish is just a primer... Never got around to adding a more realistic finish for it...

Brody, I'm not quite sure how to take your post... (?) I shaped and sized this from screen-grabs of Grant holding the claw while in the helicopter. I blew up print-outs of the screen caps to where the Grant's hand was just slightly smaller than my own (I'm 6'5" with big hands -- I doubt Elliot's are as big as mine). From there I made a 1:1 template to cut the basic shape out of the Sculpy...

Mine is not quite as "organinc" looking as perhaps it should be, but its a fun little piece.

Originally posted by allosaur176@Jan 24 2006, 11:21 PM
well, the Icons version was supossedly taken from the molds of the actual raptor claw, "the living version", which is what they were going for, not the fossilized version as seen held by Grant....  The just put in on the base that resembled the montana fossil bed
[snapback]1167423[/snapback]​

That's correct. I heard the same. The Icons claw was taken from an animatronic Raptor or something like that. Pulled from a screen piece. It's not supposedto be a fossil but a real world or "now" claw as mentioned.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back