Need paint color advice for Royal Guard

Caille

It is time to reprint my 501st Royal Guard. Sadly I have no more of the paint used in it 8 years ago and cannot remember the name.

Anyone know a good red for the helmet?

Caille

The one I was recommended and used is RustOleum's Gloss Regal Red. Get that buffed up to a high shine and it's almost indistinguishable from the original prop. Any difference between the helmet and robes gets evened out when photographed.

--Jonah

The one I was recommended and used is RustOleum's Gloss Regal Red. Get that buffed up to a high shine and it's almost indistinguishable from the original prop. Any difference between the helmet and robes gets evened out when photographed.

--Jonah

Will that work for re-painting a Don Post Royal Guard helmet?

Anything. Just make sure all defects are smoothed and you've primed it white (makes the red "pop" the right way).

Thanks for the response! I was worried about cracking because the helmet is semi flexible vinyl.

And yes, I was going to go over the entire helmet with some fine grit paper before starting.

Any other advice on sanding or primers would be greatly appreciated! I never attempted anything like this before.

Don't mix brands, if you can avoid it. Krylon and RustOleum, especially, don't play well together. If you must for some reason (shouldn't be an issue with this helmet), allow the first one to completely cure (get right down to it and if it smells even faintly like paint, it's not there yet) before applying the second. Gloss takes longer to cure than flat.

Personally I was mixed about the DP helmet when it came out. Too many of their helmets are undersized, due to mold shrinkage. Their Biker Scout and Royal Guard are, IMO, the worst offenders, in that respect. I can barely get the DP past my cheekbones, and resting flat on my head the shoulder flares are hanging in the air several inches above my shoulders. And I'm 6'1" of average build. The Rubies Supreme edition is so dead-on to the originals (but fiberglass versus vac-formed plastic glued together, as the originals were) I almost wept I was so happy. Pricey, but sooooo worth it. So I'd ask what your build is, size of your head, etc. And even then there were things I was working on fixing on the DP prior to it instantly being shoved aside when I got the Rubies. *heh*

--Jonah

My DP was an amazing Halloween costume when I was much younger. My mom recently found it cleaning up the old house. I forgot how much I loved this helmet design.

I tried putting it on and it stuck on my cheekbones but then I tugged and it slipped on. I immediately panicked that I would need to call my wife or 911 for help getting it off!!! Way too small now that I'm grown.

I was planning on just cleaning it up, re painting and getting a new visor just to put it on a display stand, never to be worn again!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back