Need Molding Help For Bio Mask

theleighlee

I've been trying to find tutorials and searching through forums to find if there is a alternative way to mold the Bio Mask. I've seen the ones where you make the glove and mother mold, but I don't have access to fiberglass or plaster. Could I just make a thicker square mold for the helmet? Or would that cause problems for removing the resin once it is done?

This will be my first molding and casting project and needless to say I have questions @_@

You can also use plaster bandages which you should be able to come by at your local craft store or medical supply place. Here is a demo of a brush on glove mold demo for a helmet with some good tips and examples. The actual bandage mother mold starts at about 10min. For a large amount of castings I see more 2 part molds than glove but they sure do make it look easy over at Brick in the Yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPQBtYJKsQ

You could do a block mold style, 2 part would be best. The issue isn't really getting your casting out if you pay attention to how you do the mold the issues is more cost. A block mold takes a lot more silicone than a brush on and is very heavy when it is time to do your slush casting and rolling resin around in side the cavity.

Last edited:
I already have some (and by some I mean a full gallon) silicone for molding, but it is the Mold Max 30. Could I still use that for brushing on?

That I am not certain Hopefully you will get another chime in. It needs to be fairly pliable with good tare strength. According to the data sheet it is only a little stiffer than the product used in the BITY video but they used a platinum cure product which can some times be a little more resiliant.

I also remembered you can use casting resin as a mother mold as well. It is more expensive but if you have access to it it may also work. Here's another vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut0fuAR_4QE

- - - Updated - - -

PS: for beset results for a brush on it should also be thickened. You may be able to find some filler that will work but is best used with the chemical thickeners available from Smooth on.

I have a gallon of resin but yeah, the stuff wasn't cheap. I might have to look into the plaster bandages. Seem like the best option that wouldn't require me to buy too much extra.

As far as mold max 30 is concerned, ive used it a few times and it is very difficult to brush it on. its very runny and stays that way for hours. I know there are ways to make helmet and mask molds with it. but I've never had luck with it. especially because the thickening agents that smooth on sells isn't compatible with mold max 30. it's a bit pricey but my personal recommendation would be rebound 25.

I am not sure about your "mold-max" but the stuff I have access to (Vario-40) can be applied in layers if you used cloth that you soaked in silicone first. I have used this stuff to make the vest portion of my 2015 BTTF 2 jacket by laying the cloth over the mold, pouring the silicone on the back of the cloth and using a fiber glass roller to push out both the excess and the air. When it cured, it just peeled out as a huge sheet. .

Would Burlap work instead of cloth? Kind of like doing a plaster cast where you layer burlap in it. Could I do something similar with the silicone maybe? Like put down a beauty coat of it, maybe let it sit so it gets thicker then lay silicone soaked burlap ontop?

Don't have access to plaster??

This confuses me. Where in the world could you possibly be that there is no plaster? ...and by "plaster," I mean Gypsum. It is readily available in all parts of the world. You may need to pay more than necessary in some locations, by it can be found. I suggest searching for Gypsum products in your area and find something close to Hydrocal for the mother.

Yes, Burlap works well with plaster.

Don't have access as in money is low ^^ sorry wasn't clear on that. As for the burlap I meant more along the lines of using it with the silicone like you would the plaster.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back