Need model stand help

Laspector

Master Member
I need a little advice here. I just bought two of those Kenner TIE Fighters and after I repaint them and get them modded, I want to make a couple of stands for them. In the past I have had good luck with using wooden paper towel holders for stands. See below
IMG_0617 - Copy.JPG

But this time I want to try something different as a base. I have a couple of old wooden Stormtrooper helmet stands that were made by a guy called Woodchuck over at the FISD forums. See below
IMG_0619 - Copy.JPG

I think the base would make a really good stand, pretty much like the paper towel holders. However, once you remove the stand part, there is a big gap where it fit into the base. See below
IMG_0620 - Copy.JPG

My question is, what would be a good way to fill in this gap? I'd like to be able to fill it in so it looks like it was never even there, or something at least half ass decent looking.

Any advice?

Do you have a 3D printer? I can cad that up for you free of charge if you supply me with any top down image of what you want (or a photo as close to isometric view as possible) and some measurements (depth of indentation and thickness + diameter). Should not take long for such a simple design. I'd print it too for a reasonable fee, but I doubt it's worth it as I'm in Sweden and shipping would probably be way prohibitive. Let me know if you want the 3D model and if you want a hole in the middle as well for a dowel - in that case please tell me the diameter.

I used to make stands like that too. I can carve something up reasonably priced. Even make room for the exact size rod. Let me know if I can be of service to you.

If you want to use the one you have, I am with the above post. Cut it as close as you can and fill it with wood filler.

-Eric

What you could is to go get a square piece of wood and four wooden cylinders and find the distance around the cockpit and then put the cylinders on each corner. If you want it to look awesome I would top online and by three magnets and make a c-shaped thing taller than the Tie Fighter put a magnet onto it and then do the same to the top and bottom of the c-shaped thing. Both those in and done, floating Tie Fighter. Yes it will take some time but the effects of doing that is amazing. I have done this so I know its possible.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back