Need input: Batman Cryptographic Sequencer

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Jawafive

Sr Member
So the next batman gadget we are looking at producing is the cryptographic sequencer. Below is the 3d model that will be used for printing. We are trying to find an economical way to get the cover to move as it does in the game. We've discussed buttons, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I welcome any input and/or ideas. As it is right now the piece is about 10" long and can accommodate your favorite smartphone where the screen is. The final product MAY be scaled down, however.

I would really love some advice from anyone who thinks they can help. I'll repay you somehow or another if it works!

-Matt

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

88reaper88

Thats crying out for an Ipod touch/iphone and app.......

As for the hinge, surely a simple bolt would do the trick? Maybe even just a bot of dowel rod?

Looking forward to how this comes out.

armorture

rewiring the guts from a PSP would look pretty cool. especially with the joystick placed accordingly. As for the hinge, a simple pin/bearing system would make it move smoothly.

vtswordfish

Sr Member
Thats crying out for an Ipod touch/iphone and app.......

As for the hinge, surely a simple bolt would do the trick? Maybe even just a bot of dowel rod?

Looking forward to how this comes out.
Yeah for real, set it up to take an Ipod touch/iphone or something, that'd be sweeeeeetttt

Jawafive

Sr Member
Yeah the model is just stellar. I couldn't be more pleased with it, but we just need to figure out that next bit and all should be ready to go.

VinXero

How about two pieces? One that can have a painted on display and then have it removed to another one that can hold an android phone or iphone.

It would be three pieces total with the handle staying original ofc.

That would be awesome.

Jawafive

Sr Member
I think a bolt could be a good idea. May just have a recessed area for screws to be glued in and then bolt from the other side. I thought about two rods sticking out from the face place, going into those two slots, and then some sort of cap that would secure in place.

Nobby

Sr Member
for the hinged part:
how about some long chicago screws with cover plates to conceal the heads?

DrewSmith007

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
If you can modify your 3D model, you could add a snap-fit post and a mating hole. I'm trying to find an example, and one that springs to mind is the method used to attach pinwheels to their post.

EDIT: Well, I can't seem to find a good image, but it's the same joint that LEGO uses for wheels. KNEX uses it too, I think, for all sorts of things.

Last edited:

cboath

Master Member
On chicago screws, the basic idea is that it's two screws that screw together, so basically you embed on screw on each side and tighten just enough so you can still rotate the pieces, correct? If that's it, i've got a great way to hide the screws...

A second issue with rotating the cover open is that, in the game, the top part just moves through that square plate on the bottom right hand side of the base. That plate is about 1/8" high. I had thought about making it a push button that clicks into place. Push it down, and the top can open. Close the top and push the button in to help hold it in place. The piece doesn't have to be functional, but the only other option is getting long enough screws that there's 1/8" (or so) leeway to raise the top. In the game, it does raise up, but barely 1/32" (less than 1mm for you metric folks :) ).

cboath

Master Member
On the smart phone option....

It just so happens the opening is large enough to hold an iphone 4. Anything that size or smaller fits just fine right now. Here's the issue with other phones - sizes. There are LOTS of different phones out there with different sizes. I believe the iphone 4 is 4.25"x2.25"x.25" (those numbers from memory, so they could be off a bit). I measured mine it when modeling that area. I know there are larger (length, width, and depth) phones out there.

As for phone or static display, a phone setup could easily hold a static display. You'd just have extra depth under whatever you use as a panel.

In the end, for either setup, there will be a plate that covers the phone and sits flush with the surface (probably screwed on) to make it look like the screen is part of the prop. The plate has not been created because the size of the hole/what goes in the hole/etc hasn't been decided upon yet.

If you're interested in sticking a phone in it - measure your phone. If you don't have a ruler or tape measure, look it up on your manufacturer's site - hopefully it'll say. I don't have access to other phones so I can't measure them. If sizes come back larger than the iphone 4, i'll have to see exactly how much space there is to work with.

The actual area where the screen sits and is covered by the top is:

(the left side is arced in a bit at the top if you can't tell)
Across the top (4.5")
Across the base (4.7")
Height (2.8")

Plus, to have a cover plate, you need to plan on a bare minimum 3/16" border as well.

Those 4.7-5" screen phones that are out there probably won't work.

Talisen

Sr Member
For the holding closed - even some small earth magnets to hold it closed? Could potentially have one set in the open position too.