Need info on cast molding please.

Reaver

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all hope you're all well. I'm trying SMOOTH-ON a two part Silicon rubber for the first time. Everything went well and I thought I had enough but as it turns out I was a bit short. I was not able to complete the mold and have about an inch or so undone. Can I add more at a later time, say when I get the new shipment or do I have to nix it and start over? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Reaver. ...

Last edited:
You should be fine to add more. Never used smooth-on brand(assuming it's just condensing RTV silicone) but as long as you top it up with the same type of silicone it'll be seamless.

You should be fine to add more. Never used smooth-on brand(assuming it's just condensing RTV silicone) but as long as you top it up with the same type of silicone it'll be seamless.

Thank you so much. The only reason I tried smooth-on is because it was on sale for like $30. Since I know what to do and not do I can move on to the good stuff.
After all this time, this it still the coolest place to learn and share.
Thanks.... .

Thank you so much. The only reason I tried smooth-on is because it was on sale for like $30. Since I know what to do and not do I can move on to the good stuff.
After all this time, this it still the coolest place to learn and share.
Thanks.... .
Nothing wrong with Smooth-on, I just don't use it cause I'm cheap! lol.
I buy whatever condensing silicone I can get cheapest, that's got the pot life & shore strength I need.

If you used mold release, there could be problems, and I've had layers delaminate before even without it. If there's only an inch to go, you might as well try.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back