Need info/good source for strong magnets for Vader helmet

LordVdr

I have a fan-made ROTS Vader helmet, and I want to display it. However, the dome and the front faceplate won't stay together very well. I don't want to resort to velcro, but would love to use some strong magnets to hold them together. Has anyone done this type of conversion? And where's the best place to buy magnets online?

Thanks in advance.

B.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LordVdr @ May 9 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]1241728[/snapback]</div>
I have a fan-made ROTS Vader helmet, and I want to display it. However, the dome and the front faceplate won't stay together very well. I don't want to resort to velcro, but would love to use some strong magnets to hold them together. Has anyone done this type of conversion? And where's the best place to buy magnets online?

Thanks in advance.

B.
[/b]

Look up 'Rare Earth Magnets'. They come in various sizes and thicknesses. And are VERY strong.

I'll be doing this with a Vader helmet very soon using a pair of these:

magnet.jpg

They're the 'Super Strong Magnetic Rings' three quaters of the way down this page: http://www.magnetic-paper.com/shop.asp?ID=19

They're very strong and extremly hard to prise apart by hand, but with the leverage you get once they're installed in a helmet they should be fine.

A word of caution with using strong magnets - they can smack together so hard that they can chip or even split apart completely. I've just noticed taking the photo above that that this magnet's partner has a large chip in it. Glueing a disc of felt over one of them should cushion the blow enough without dampening the magnetism.

Jeremy

If I recall correctly, wasn't it just the VM02 that had magnets for a mounting system? All the others use some kind of spacer with/without velcro.

The problem with a magnet...a strong one...is that when you try to remove the helmet from the faceplate, you're pulling on the helmet and when the magnets disconnect, it's a sudden and rapid movement which could damage something by accident. I like velcro because even the industrial kind will rip apart so you have greater control during separation of the helmet and faceplate and there's less risk of bumping them into something by accident. Just MHO...depends if you are just using it for display or trooping. Velcro is nice too because you ca adjust the tilt of the helmet pretty easily for a regular work day look or the "mean" look :). Still, it's a very cool idea...more high tech looking than simple velcro :).

regards,

T

...also, with magnets your dome connects with a nice satisfying *thunk*

as opposed to the *sssssschkkkkkkkk* you get from velcro.

:p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gonk27 @ May 11 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]1242833[/snapback]</div>
...also, with magnets your dome connects with a nice satisfying *thunk*

as opposed to the *sssssschkkkkkkkk* you get from velcro.

:p
[/b]

:lol

I was considering putting magnets in my Rubies helmet, I hate the mounting system and since this is the helmet I use for trooping I would like to have it secure. Maybe Ill try to tweak the velcro system, we'll see.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back