Need Identification: Chess set from Highlander - The Series

N9LxjR.jpg

Hahahahahaha. So.....I was looking up the history of the E.S. Lowe chess set. And I saw that people had made copies of the set, and this site identified the knock offs by name.
One of the knock offs was the ROXY CHESS SET. I went to eBay and bought myself one of the Roxy sets. I haven't received it yet, but here is a pic from the auction.

Whoever thought that they would not even be using an original set, but a copy instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is awesome Jintosh! Thanks so much for finding this.

I would've been surprised if Highlander used the original set. The series was shot on an extremely small budget. Syndicated TV in the 90's :).

This is why I love the rpf. Just ordered a set of roxy pieces myself and will get a local here in ecuador to make an 18" X 18" Drueke styled board for me. Will put a wash on the white pieces to give them the antiqued look.

This is why I love the rpf. Just ordered a set of roxy pieces myself and will get a local here in ecuador to make an 18" X 18" Drueke styled board for me. Will put a wash on the white pieces to give them the antiqued look.

Yes, I was a bulldog this time. I looked up the History of the original set because I thought I would find a picture of the 15th century one it's modeled after. Instead, I found a copy that was dead on. My persistence paid off, but in an unexpected way.

nrwWM3.jpg

Got my board and pieces. Painted the pieces their base color. Still need to add the dark accents to the light pieces and light accent to the dark pieces.

It's been 7 years since this thread saw a post, but I'll try amd revive it.

Have you ever watched a movie / TV show and saw something kinda unique in it that you thought would be cool to have?

For me, it was this chess set from Highlander: The Series.

I found all 32 pieces and the board, all from the 1960s-1970s. All the pieces had their original weights, which is rare, but most of the felts were missing.

I decided to paint the pieces and try to match them as close as I could (I'm not Picasso) to the show. I also re-felted the bottoms.

_nc_ohc=yDUIaf50ZegAX8TkRW5&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

_nc_ohc=AXxLY5zqZq4AX-xCcs6&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=AnmS-8VYAcAAX-b1WUM&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg
X-6Q3Mn&tn=95zQTNCHpawHwvl9&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg
_nc_ohc=HCyDAkVj2HgAX-_fuGu&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg
X_95nNF&tn=95zQTNCHpawHwvl9&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.jpg

Weighted and everything!!!! And a gorgeous paint job!!! I read this thread from the beginning and was embarrassed that I had been ready to settle for just 'similar' in the beginning. Glad I stuck it out and found the variations.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back