(need ideas)The Avengers Captain America costume build

ironboy1

Hi everyone I just saw the avengers......twice :p and the movie really got me into the mood to try to make the captain america costume from the movie(and if everything goes well on this build maybe others from the movie too) but I really do not know where to start. What I really need help on is the material I should use and reference pictures.the material has to be relatively cheap because I am on a tight budget. I'm new and anything will help and once I get some fabric ideas for the suit I will get started and post pics on my progress
thanks

I'd start with the shirt

I was thinking the shirt too(the red and white stripe abdomen area) but I don't know what material to use and I'm buying fabric tomorrow so I have to try to find something by tomorrow, what I was thinking of doing was pad the inside of the fabric with craft foam to get the raised edges but I don't know if I should get a regular or a stretchy fabric.

Shield maybe? That way if you don't finish, you still have a display piece?

I was going to do the shield and helmet last because I was thinking of making them out of pepakura because I thought it would be the cheapest way, if you know a cheaper way please tell me lol.

I would suggest going to a local fabric store and checking out some different types in person. The canvas will soften after being washed a few times, but that just doesn't seem like the right look to me.

Looking at the high res pictures, it looks kind of like under-armor type material over foam padding (varying degrees of rigidity).

Without knowing your budget it would be hard for anybody to recommend you a fabric. Do you have a design yet? I would do that before you even think about buying material.

I think canvas would be too stiff. You need something with more give to it.

I went to the store today to check it out and its actually not that stiff, maybe a little, but it looks kind of stiff in the movie, when he moved around allot in the costume it started to get ridges in it

i would probably start with the gauntlets and boots, seeing as those would probably take the longest to do, outside of the shield and helmet. i feel like the helmet should definitely be the last thing you do, seeing as that would be the least required piece of the costume

... and I'm buying fabric tomorrow so I have to try to find something by tomorrow, ...

also I'm making the costume of Captain America, have you already solved with the fabric? I'm using a fabric that, in Italy, is fairly easy to find, and is inexpensive; is called piquet, and there are different designs. I took a type-checked much like this ...

STOFFA TESSUTO IN PIQUET COPERTINA CULLA CARROZZINO | eBay

Polo Polosophy Su Misura tessuto Piquet unito giallo senape. | Camicie per Uomo Online | Vendita su Misura | Camicia a Quadri, Righe e Fantasia | Cravatte e polo sartoriali | Camicieuomo

as regards the elasticity of the fabric, looking at the picture closely, there are 2 types of tissue: the rough (the piquet to be understood) that is rigid, and in some places another type of tissue very simple (see below the arms and on the upper side of the chest) that is elastic, which allows you to make large movements.

I hope I was of help

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back