Need Ideas for retractable gaunt blades,.....

Philby

I need your guys' help again ,....
i'm trying to think of things i can use to make the gaunt blades work,.....
i kinda thought umbrella shafts might work,......but they'd only go out,.....not back in ...

anyone ever messed with the idea and found something that worked ????
couldn't find any how-to's on this so ,......

I need your guys' help again ,....
i'm trying to think of things i can use to make the gaunt blades work,.....
i kinda thought umbrella shafts might work,......but they'd only go out,.....not back in ...

anyone ever messed with the idea and found something that worked ????
couldn't find any how-to's on this so ,......
Do a search here in tutorials and in the arsenal-- Topnotch has some great stuff-- dont need to start another thread about this-- just look around a bit.

yea sorry about not searching very hard frist ,....comp.s kinda slow,.....

we can erase this if ya want now that i know whetre to look,....

Mate there was one guy on here who was using a dvd drive as a mechanism to flick the blades out,any idea is possible even springs anything
good luck.

I made my original extendable and retractable blade gauntlet by using a CD-ROM drive mechanism. I put the track on the bottom of the gauntlet, then put the motor and gearing on a slide mounted on the blades. I think my profile still has a link to that thread.

More recently, though, I've been building the blade mechanisms with a Tamiya gearbox motor, along with gears and tracks sold by a robotics shop online. It's proven to be a more reliable way to build it, since I don't have the gearbox cut in odd shapes. Check out Servocity for their gearing and tracks. Or, if you want to just buy a mechanism, I can build one for you.

I made my original extendable and retractable blade gauntlet by using a CD-ROM drive mechanism. I put the track on the bottom of the gauntlet, then put the motor and gearing on a slide mounted on the blades. I think my profile still has a link to that thread.

More recently, though, I've been building the blade mechanisms with a Tamiya gearbox motor, along with gears and tracks sold by a robotics shop online. It's proven to be a more reliable way to build it, since I don't have the gearbox cut in odd shapes. Check out Servocity for their gearing and tracks. Or, if you want to just buy a mechanism, I can build one for you.

right on ,...that'd be awesome,.....
don't need it quite yet ,....but when i do i'll hit ya up ,...
kinda doing all the " mind " work first that way i don't burn thru tons of supplies or worse,...
ruin something from my own stupidity,....

i'll hit ya up though ,....*cheers*

appreciate that man,.....
seein that thread made it make WAY more sense to me,....
seems alot more possible without tons of mechanics involved,.....

cheers mate

Philby

You might also look into something very simple with strong elastics like surgical tubing or some spring mechanisms. This way you aren't worried about a motor in your suit heating up. Not that any of these would do that, but there's always that risk of malfunction with electronics. You also cut down on weight too which from what I understand with these suits - is a very good thing.

Thanks for giving them the links but I really don't consider it a tutorial. It was meant as an inspiring work log. I really like that it gets people thinking about different ways of doing it.

I didn't get to the point where I know what the standard size of the rubberband is. Though if you try, linking standard rubber bands together might work just as good. That worked on the smaller scale of my sons gauntlet.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back