Need Help With First Model Kit

Techuser

I got my cheap facehugger recast in the mail today, its my first model and I thought it would include specific instructions, but it's in chinese and regarding general model build, not specific to this model.

gfV7b.jpg

So if anyone is used to this, should I cut a hole open where I indicate in the figure to fit the heatened barbs of the leg inside? Or just cut the leg barbs and fit it there?

Shhz7.jpg

Also, is it dangerous to deform the model if I use expanding foam as a fill?

Yes cut the holes on the main body for the legs to go in. Don't cut anything off of the leg part - just heat up that cone part and push it into the holes you've cut.

I've never foam filled one tho...

I'm surprised you even got a response, knowingly buying a recast. I'm even more surprised you expected quality and instructions buying a recast.

If you bought it not knowing it was a recast, well, at least now you know what happens when you buy a recast, it sucks and there are no instructions.

Yeah... I thought that re-casts were looked down upon here. You bought from and supported a thief. Therefore, you get what you paid for.

Next time... don't buy a re-cast. :sleep:

i think buying a recast should be frowned upon, but can you guys give up a name from anyone who makes a legit facehugger? and if you are using it on your costume shouldn't there be a little leway on that?

Like I said, it's my first model, no way I'm going to spend more than U$100 on something I have no idea how it will turn out. I'd pay that for one already built.

Recasters have no creativity. They only copy what others have done. If people are buying the cheap recast, they aren't buying the original that the sculptor put all of his time and energy into making. Once he stops sculpting new kits out of frustration, there is nothing for the recasters to copy, and nothing for us to buy and build.

That would happen only if the sculptor makes it just for the sake of selling, the way I see it is exactly like what happens with music. So I guess no one have used mp3 too.

Like I said, it's my first model, no way I'm going to spend more than U$100 on something I have no idea how it will turn out. I'd pay that for one already built.

Completely understandable. We all have to start somewhere, and I know that buying that first model kit can be intimidating - especially if you've got limited funds.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1994-1995, I bought my very first model kit - Kaiyodo's Godzilla 1989 vinyl model kit. Cripes.. if I remember right, it set me back about $80.oo US. Like you, I was afraid of screwing it up and doing a huge injustice to the character and model builders alike. Well, I was not satisfied at all with the paint job I'd done on it, and it sat on my shelf for a while before I discovered something.

I could just repaint it.

Aaand so I did. In fact, I haven't touched it since - even now I'm totally happy with the second paint job. I even touched up some of the putty work too. I don't understand where this "If I don't paint it right the first time, it's trash."

That's one major issue I want to address - "Well, I was afraid to screw it up so I bought a cheap-ass version on Ebay. If I screw it up it's no big deal... it's just a recast." Knowingly buying a recast is against this forum and many other hobby boards as well. Plus, it deters phenomenal artists from producing amazing, original work in kit-form. Anyway, that's enough recast talk.

No matter how bad you think you'll screw it up, or.. even if you do mess it up somehow, it's fixable. That's the thing with this type of hobby - EVERYTHING is fixable if you have the drive and patience to do it. It'll take some practice and some work - trial and error - but you could turn it into a fantastic piece. Also - through the resources of this board, Google, and Ebay, you can find anything. You can't resort to Ebay after 10 minutes of searching without any results. I would think something has more meaning if you saved up and did some searching for it; rather than some cheap piece of wasted plastic after 5 minutes on Ebay.

Well said Rob! Enough bashing the guy for buying a recast...it happens. Rob is exactly right when he says that anything can be repainted. Plus, being able to repaint something a second or third time allows you to tweak it and get it just right. Each time you repaint something you improve and get better by learning what works, new techniques, better colors, shading etc.

Never be afraid to repaint something...chances are it'll turn out better!

That would happen only if the sculptor makes it just for the sake of selling, the way I see it is exactly like what happens with music. So I guess no one have used mp3 too.

Like I said, if you didn't buy the recast knowingly, no one can hold it against you.

...but arguing that sculptors who put time, money and effort into the sculpting the kits and producing them could cease doing so ONLY if they are doing it for the sake of selling is a weak point. Of course they're doing it to sell it if they're producing the kit, otherwise they'd have one offs that no one else got to enjoy.

I'm not gonna' ride your jock about the recast you bought, but if you maintain a 'recasts are okay' vibe you're probably not going to last here. The music industry as a whole is a multi-billion dollar industry, garage kit enthusiasts and sculptors form a minority by comparison. I'm not being a dick head, I'm just giving you the heads up.

So let me try to understand this the sculptor makes recasts out of his or hers 1st sculpture but the copys that he or she are made from resin then
some1 buys 1 of these then does a recast of it is this right?
The biggest part of model kits are vinyl plastic aint they?

So let me try to understand this the sculptor makes recasts out of his or hers 1st sculpture but the copys that he or she are made from resin then
some1 buys 1 of these then does a recast of it is this right?
The biggest part of model kits are vinyl plastic aint they?

I'm not 100% sure I understand your statement, but are you asking what is the difference between the original sculptor making copies of his work for sale, and someone other than the sculptor doing the same thing?

I believe it is because the original sculptor molds and casts from the original piece, while the recaster uses a purchased kit and makes molds and then casts those from there and in doing so the pieces lose detail.

Am I right anyone?

I believe it is because the original sculptor molds and casts from the original piece, while the recaster uses a purchased kit and makes molds and then casts those from there and in doing so the pieces lose detail.

Am I right anyone?
Exactly what he said is this right?

You are absolutely right. these cheap recasts generally lose much of the original detail, not to mention the inferior resin/vinyl. i personally don't know how anyone can put the time and effort into painting a recast, let alone proudly display it along with your own paint work.

John

Done with the building and started painting, took me the entire night to mix the colors right to get I wanted and now I realized it's too dark

pFFiz.jpg

XF3qf.jpg

A1Z7n.jpg

I was thinking now, to make it brighter should I paint only the highlights or spray it overall ??
the dye I'm using is common acrylics, not those special ones for airbrushing with transparency

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back